Yanking a 182 around with the brakes

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
I know...

...I've been told numerous times...

...DON'T yank a 182 around with the brakes, you'll wear them out.

Just plan ahead and make wider turns they said...don't try to stop at that next taxiway they said..go on by they said...etc., etc.

AND I should have listened...

I had to replace my brakes this week and it's ONLY been eleven years since they were last replaced (and 1,150 hours).

Just think, I may have gotten 15 or 20 years had I heeded everyone's advice.

I feel so foolish.

:redface:

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you aren't using the elevator to turn.

Haha! Ours didn't last quite that long, but I do like to try to hit the STOL kit's book numbers once in a while just to see if the Addendum is lying. Note: If the pilot is up to it, it's not. :) But it's hard on brakes.

I know...

...I've been told numerous times...

...DON'T yank a 182 around with the brakes, you'll wear them out.

Just plan ahead and make wider turns they said...don't try to stop at that next taxiway they said..go on by they said...etc., etc.

AND I should have listened...

I had to replace my brakes this week and it's ONLY been eleven years since they were last replaced (and 1,150 hours).

Just think, I may have gotten 15 or 20 years had I heeded everyone's advice.

I feel so foolish.

:redface:

The linings lasted that long? Which brand?

IDK for sure but it seems to me like rusty pitted disks are the worst enemy. I debated on buying new disks and was sure glad I did, they work much better and smooth.

I'm not sure why you aren't using the elevator to turn.

Our airport will be going thru a restoration/regrading/repaving project this summer. If they put in 45 degree banked NASCAR style turns, then I will!

The linings lasted that long? Which brand?

I have no ID. The plane was in the middle of a restoration when I bought it and the pads were already installed. I'll check to see if the brand is mentioned in the logs and let you know.

Last edited:
Never expect to see junk like this on an airplane. Might be why the pads never lasted.... This will be the first year of service with all new pads and disks on the Cardinal. Well worth the $ I spent last year.

Wow...those had seen better days. The pads must have thought they were cheese being run through a grater.

Dimpled for better airflow - like a golf ball.

To get 20 years out of a set of brakes pads can only mean you do more flying than taxiing. :lol:

Seriously, that is amazing!

Brand probably doesn't matter. Is 20 years ago far enough back they weren't made out of sawdust and charcoal in Shengdong? LOL

Brake pads are cheap and easy to replace. Use them as much as you need them in my opinion. I think pads for our 172 are 30.00 a set which is for both side, maybe 1 1/2 hrs to replace them.

Joe

I tried that and taxied right into the FBO building. I want my money back.
:rofl:

Never expect to see junk like this on an airplane. Might be why the pads never lasted.... This will be the first year of service with all new pads and disks on the Cardinal. Well worth the $ I spent last year.

:yikes:

Back