Yankee Gate

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Flying in the Chicago area monitoring 122.9, I frequently hear an airliner overhead calling for Yankee Gate to be opened up. Can anyone clue me in on what this is? And why they chose 122.9 for the frequency?

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Chicago area, but my WAG is that if you looked at the STARs into the airport, you'd find it on one of them as one of the approach gates into the procedure.

I think that 122.95 is a fairly popular gate frequency. maybe they had their radio set almost right

On 122.9 huh?

Interesting frequency to hear that on.

I think that 122.95 is a fairly popular gate frequency. maybe they had their radio set almost right
Yes, 122.9. And I hear it frequently, sometimes multiple times in a flight. I checked all the ORD STARs, and didn't see anything there.

What the heck is a "Gate Frequency," anyway?

Here is an example at Denver International. Sometimes we (GA) need to taxi through this area, under the walkway, to get to the other side of the airport. In this area we switch to Ramp Control 131.97. I think it is staffed by the operations people at DIA, not the airlines, since there is more than one airline which operates out of these gates. Each of the concourses (A, B and C) has their own ramp control frequency.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 26 16.50.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 26 16.50.gif
    72.7 KB · Views: 66
Yeah, but airlines won't use that frequency. They have their own company frequencies.
And I know I've heard United call signs calling for Yankee Gate. I meant to ask you and Bob about it last night at dinner, but didn't remember until you'd both left. :(

Flying in the Chicago area monitoring 122.9, I frequently hear an airliner overhead calling for Yankee Gate to be opened up. Can anyone clue me in on what this is? And why they chose 122.9 for the frequency?

Yankee Gate is exactly that. It is a retractable gate across Y taxiway north of the Y, E intersection near the ARFF. It controls access into and out of the large ramp/ maintennance areas for UAL and AA. There is also one on Y near the north end of T. 122.9 is the frequency for the guard shack that controls the gates.

BTW, I've always been on the deck when making the call to exit or enter.

Last edited:
Yankee Gate is exactly that. It is a retractable gate across Y taxiway north of the Y, E intersection near the ARFF. It controls access into and out of the large ramp/ maintennance areas for UAL and AA. There is also one on Y near the north end of T. 122.9 is the frequency for the guard shack that controls the gates.

BTW, I've always been on the deck when making the call to exit or enter.
Thanks! that sounds right, since I think I've heard maintenance in conjunction with the call before. Since it's 122.9, I'd think that they'd require the plane be on the ground before making the call! That freq is used a lot in the midwest. Thanks for the info!

Back