Ya know you're raising them right

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Sometimes your kid does something that just let ya know your doing ok raising them. My daugther Rachel is 12 years old. Next year is her Bat Mitzvah. All the Kids her age at our synagogue do a Bar or Bat ( Bat is for a gir) Mitzvah project that is service oriented. some of the kids do the minimum to get buy. Some do things like projects like collect old videos to deliver to a senior home or Children's hospital. They put a bin outside of the Hebrew school or market and folks toss thier old videos, sneakers, coats what ever they are collecting and put them in the bin Then the kid and their folks deliver them. To be sure there are also many many very good projects.

So one day Rachel says Hey Dad, ya think I can do anything for Angel Flight for my project. Dad gets a big :D on his face and says well lets call and see. So Rachel ends up volunteering her time at the Angel Flight East office at Wings Field every Monday afternoon helping with what ever they need. She puts in a couple of weeks and says ya know dad I want to do more then just work there I want to help them raise some money. Dad gets an even bigger:D on his face. So Rachel decides that every Friday she will bake homemade chocolate chip cookies put two in a bag and put the bags in a basket and put them out with a sign and an honor jar at the terminal at Wings. She writes to the FBO owner to ask permission and he responds with a definite yes and a $50.00 donation. ( $50.00 is like a mortgage payment for a 12 yo kid) So for the past couple of weekends she shows up early at the field puts out her basket full of homemade cookies ( which I must say are awesome even if I am her dad) with her sign saying what the cookies are for and requesting a minumum donation per bag and her old goldfish bowl as an honor jar.
I gotta say the line guys are her biggest fans and marketing staff. When the biz jet guys come in and head for the vending machines they point them in the direction of the cookie basket. They are also very protective of her honor jar. Someone in another post said pilots are cheap but I gotta tell ya they are generous. In the past two weeks she has made over $110 for Angel Flight East just selling her home baked chocolate chip cookies in the terminal. Kinda makes me feel real good about folks, good about the pilot community and of course great about Rachel. Damn its good to be a pilot and a DAD:D

Last edited:
Re: Ya know your rasing them right

That is AWESOME Adam. Maybe she could make some for the Fly B Q and the attendees could buy them. :D

That is AWESOME Adam. Maybe she could make some for the Fly B Q and the attendees could buy them. :D
YES!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes:

In fact, I'm just thinking that I'm manning an Angel Flight booth at the health fair at work later this month. Maybe I'll do something similar; putting out some healthy treat (like oatmeal cookies :rofl:) with a donation jar!

So for the past couple of weekends she shows up early at the field puts out her basket full of homemade cookies ( which I must say are awesome even if I am here dad) with her sign saying what the cookies are for and requesting a min donation per bag and her old goldfish bowl as an honor jar.

From a non-biased opinion the cookies are great. Now that I know she does it every Friday I may need to stop in more often. She is doing a great job Adam.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I'll tell her. She put them out every Saturday morning and they are gone by Sunday Afternoon.

"ya know dad I want to do more then just work there I want to help them raise some money". Dad gets an even bigger:D on his face. So Rachel decides that every Friday she will bake homemade chocolate chip cookies put two in a bag and put the bags in a basket and put them out with a sign and an honor jar at the terminal at Wings.

Well, at least if someone doesn't like the cookies and sues her, she's got a good lawyer....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Really, tell I said "Good on you".

Now, since you have set her on such a good, noble and humanitarian course, what are you going to say in a couple of years when she has her ticket and says, "Dad, I really want to fly Angel Flight missions, and I think I should have a twin turboprop to do it in so they'll be safe as possible...":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Here's to ya Pilot Dad...:cheerswine::cheerswine::cheerswine::yes:

Adam, that's an awesome story... I read it to the whole family, and you left us all smiling. You're right to be proud of her... So, does she do mail order? I'd order a tin (or box) of cookies...

Well Adam, i will say Rachel is a GREAT Kid, and you can take credit for that along with your wife, You both did a Great job.
Tell rachel she better save me a dozen of those cookies.
Dave G

Awesome story! I can only hope our son Joshua turns out that well. Thanks for sharing that one!

Adam, that's an awesome story... I read it to the whole family, and you left us all smiling. You're right to be proud of her... So, does she do mail order? I'd order a tin (or box) of cookies...

Put me down for an order via mail as well.:yes:

Put me down for an order for pickup at Wings FlyBQ! (As long as they have nuts in 'em :))

Adam, that's a tribute to you as a parent. Ya did good.

Kudos to Rachael for the heart and efforrt to help others.

Wow, that's a wonderful Mitzvah project, Adam! We're all very proud of her even though we don't know her directly. What a great idea to help others -- she is a bright one with a big future ahead of her. Unfortunately my family and I switched synagogues around when I was the same age as your daughter and never was able to complete anything as satisfying and successful as the project you described. However I look forward to providing many mitzvot in the coming years.

Mazal Tov!

That's great!
She's a bright one: came up with a unique Mitzvah project and scored big-time points with the Old Man in one fell swoop! :D

What a great idea and a good outreach idea as well. Far too many of the projects tend to be inwards facing i.e. raising money for Torah donations and such. This is a good one. Doing things that come from the heart not what will look good is a great thing.

Adam and Rachael - that's fantastic! Nice job, both of you!!! :)

Re: Ya know your raising them right

I know for a fact that kids don't just turn out to be good. There is a lot of guiding and a lot of setting a good example for them to follow. Kids also tend to imitate those whom they admire. So you and your wife can be proud of her and of the job you both have done. I heard one time that the most important job in the world is left to a bunch of amateurs. The job of raising children. Good on you both. :cheerswine: Bob

Ah HAAA - so that's where those cookies came from. Too bad there were only crumbs left the last time I was there.

What an excuse for blowing calories - "Honey, I'm not snacking, I'm supporting for Angel Flight!"

Waytago, Rachel!

...what are you going to say in a couple of years when she has her ticket and says, "Dad, I really want to fly Angel Flight missions, and I think I should have a twin turboprop to do it in so they'll be safe as possible...":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Here's to ya Pilot Dad...:cheerswine::cheerswine::cheerswine::yes:

Thats a riot. Well Henning I guess both she and will be being extra nice to my wife and saying pretty please A LOT :yes:

Ah HAAA -....

What an excuse for blowing calories - "Honey, I'm not snacking, I'm supporting for Angel Flight!"

Waytago, Rachel!

Ha you should be at my house when she makes the dough I get yelled at constantly I keep trying to tell her and my wife its NOT snacking its actually QUALITY CONTROL!

Seriously thanks everyone for the kind comments. I really am so proud of her. For those that want to pick up a box at the FlyBQ your order will be waiting. Troy and Kevin, Let me see about shipping them The postage may be prohibitive but I'll let ya know.

Ah. The transport economics of COOKIES! :)

Ha you should be at my house when she makes the dough I get yelled at constantly I keep trying to tell her and my wife its NOT snacking its actually QUALITY CONTROL!

Seriously thanks everyone for the kind comments. I really am so proud of her. For those that want to pick up a box at the FlyBQ your order will be waiting. Troy and Kevin, Let me see about shipping them The postage may be prohibitive but I'll let ya know.

If you figure it out, let me know too....cookies....mmmmmmmmmmm....

What a wonderful story. I hope she goes far in her life - wish I could attend her Bat Mitzvah. Last one I was too was a great service to our Lord.

You spend all that time correcting and prodding them as they grow up, and then they come up with something like this. Kind of makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it? Nice job. And Rachel sounds like a great kid. Of course, she's about to become a teenager, so... :p

Great job raising a great kid, Adam! What an awesome project!

Troy Kent was laid over in Philly for two days last week and we got together no mail order yet.

And 10M heh if I had that I'd be flying a PC12 or something fun like that.

But I subscribe to this line in the article
Wrong message?
Some parents, however, worry that expensive parties for children result in mixed-up values -- and leave many feeling obliged to overspend

Last edited:

YES!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes:

In fact, I'm just thinking that I'm manning an Angel Flight booth at the health fair at work later this month. Maybe I'll do something similar; putting out some healthy treat (like oatmeal cookies :rofl:) with a donation jar!
Well, I followed her lead. She did a much better job than I did, though! I only made about $31.50 for Angel Flight Central and Lifeline Pilots!

Wow, Adam, you certainly have every right to be proud of her! You done good! :yes:

Bring her to Gaston's so that we can meet her. :)

Grant she will show you ho to make them when you come in for the flybq. LOL
Nah, it's not about how you make 'em, it's about marketing!:yes: (At least when you aren't relying on repeat business!:rofl:)

Back