xplane vs MSFS for IFR procedures

My reality GTN 650 won’t activate the x plane Glide slope. Suggestions ?

Dunno.....we capture glideslope or vnav as apprpropriate, so 'it' works :). Procedural? You'll figure it out, and cheaper than in an airplane. Don't forget the xplane forum..

What software are you using to move the gtn's to your Kindle?...may have to try that!

Jim

XP works fine with Radeon graphic cards in Linux. Yes, Vulcan is better supported it seems with NVIDIA from listening to second hand accounts. But Radeon is perfectly supported on Linux.

XP works fine with Radeon graphic cards in Linux. Yes, Vulcan is better supported it seems with NVIDIA from listening to second hand accounts. But Radeon is perfectly supported on Linux.
That's good news! It wasn't before I changed laptops a couple of years ago, unfortunately. That's one reason I was careful to shop for one with an Nvidia card when I was replacing it (I didn't want to have to dual-boot into Windows just to use X-Plane).

My reality GTN 650 won’t activate the x plane Glide slope. Suggestions ?

Chatting with my wife (and resident cfii) she recalled we had that problem at first and it was something about when we loaded or engaged the approch. She tried it in the R182 and it worked the same. Sorry not to be more specific...will try to get down there and play with it.

Jim

Jim - any luck with your wife? By that, I mean with finding our more about her solution to getting RVaV to work with reality GTN 650? It works for my ILS approaches, but not LPV

BTW - I use the kindle app “Spacedesk”. Download the app onto your Kindle, and the driver onto your PC. It connects the Kindle to your PC wirelessly / through your home wi fi network. A few clunks here and there, but fairly easy to sort out.

For me this is a very important part of using the sim. My proficiency with working the GTN is miles beyond where it was. It really showed yesterday in a real flight with the CFII.

At what point are you activating the approach? There's a limited number of degrees you can be off the extended centerline of the approach, for vnav, when you activate (don't know what is is exactly). If that angle is exceeded, the gtn will throw an error into msgs and the vnav won't grab. You probably already knew this, but if not, try activating while on the extended c/l. Too nice to spend much time down the basement right now.

I'm using Duet for gtns on the ipad now. $10, and you can choose wifi or usb.

At what point are you activating the approach? There's a limited number of degrees you can be off the extended centerline of the approach, for vnav, when you activate (don't know what is is exactly). If that angle is exceeded, the gtn will throw an error into msgs and the vnav won't grab. You probably already knew this, but if not, try activating while on the extended c/l. Too nice to spend much time down the basement right now.

I'm using Duet for GTN on the ipad now. $10, and you can choose wifi or usb.

I load and activate to the IAF before I depart. It guides me from departing airport to the destination airport's IAF, has me turn to the extended approach line, takes me to the FAF, etc. But when I get to the FAF at the entry altitude the glide slope isn't active. As I said, this works fine with ILS.

The gtn doesn't have to figure out the vertical guidance for an ILS, it's broadcast....the vnav calc is all gtn internal math . ...but I'm telling you things you already know.

'load and activate'....the fltpln, or approach, at departure? If vnav approach you're activating, ain't gonna fly.

.....and we're boring the whoo-hoo out anyone else reading this...LOL! Try activating the approach after you get close to c/l of the approach, just for giggles. It's cheap in the sim.

Another GTN Question. This from the owners manual.

NOTE: In software v6.00 and later, if you build your flight plan with the destination airport at the end and then load an approach procedure, the destination airport will be removed from the end of the flight plan. If the leg to the destination airport is the active leg when loading an approach procedure, you will navigate all the way to the destination airport before joining the procedure. Be sure when LOADING and not ACTIVATING an approach procedure that the route to be flown is correct.

Not sure what this is trying to say. When you activate the approach as you near the airport, it switches to directing you to the IAF or other fix you punched in, or it takes you to the extended magenta line for Vectors to Final. So what is this part of the manual warning about?

Last edited:
The gtn doesn't have to figure out the vertical guidance for an ILS, it's broadcast....the vnav calc is all gtn internal math . ...but I'm telling you things you already know.

'load and activate'....the fltpln, or approach, at departure? If vnav approach you're activating, ain't gonna fly.

.....and we're boring the whoo-hoo out anyone else reading this...LOL! Try activating the approach after you get close to c/l of the approach, just for giggles. It's cheap in the sim.

It doesn't matter where I activate the approach - in the air before the destination airport, or on the ground - ILS shows on the X Plane CDI, and RNAV doesn't.

I've searched the X Plane and Reality forums - it seems to be a known issue without a clear answer.

For those using X Plane and Reality GTN - anyone else having trouble getting the glide slope?

Last edited:
I load and activate to the IAF before I depart. It guides me from departing airport to the destination airport's IAF, has me turn to the extended approach line, takes me to the FAF, etc. But when I get to the FAF at the entry altitude the glide slope isn't active. As I said, this works fine with ILS.

You are of course not on VLOC right?

For anyone looking for a yoke (or a new one), I'd strongly suggest the Honeycomb Alpha. Really nice feel, and works great out of the box. A world of difference from the (now) Logitech yoke I was using for years. But, the Logitech was better than the really old (original) CH yoke I first had.

The Honeycomb Bravo TQ looks great too, if you can find one. I'm still using my old Logitech TQ.

Don't forget rudder pedals.

MSFS is very pretty for low & slow VFR, but otherwise is not really quite ready, and not very good for airline flying or serious IFR simulation. It may get there, but not quite yet.

XP has a solid following, but don't forget Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3d (P3d), now in v5. P3d has a very wide range of aircraft and accessories available for it, it is a continuation of Microsoft's original simulator software.

Happy shopping.

* Orest

I'm using the Logitech because I couldn't quite afford the Honeycomb. What rudder pedals to you recommend btw?

I'm using the Logitech because I couldn't quite afford the Honeycomb. What rudder pedals to you recommend btw?

Yes, the Honeycombs are pricey. What else is new!?

I have the Logitech pedals, and they are perfectly serviceable. Good feel, and adjustable tension.

* Orest

I went ape**** last year lighting the credit card on fire and picked up the Honeycomb yoke and throttle, and Thrustmaster TPR pedals. Absolutely glorious. I still have my Logitech Flight rudder pedals for sale if you're looking for a set, WDD

I went ape**** last year lighting the credit card on fire and picked up the Honeycomb yoke and throttle, and Thrustmaster TPR pedals. Absolutely glorious. I still have my Logitech Flight rudder pedals for sale if you're looking for a set, WDD
Sending a pm / chat

Charlie Rudder pedals from HC maybe by end of year?

I'm definitely curious what those are going to look like. They've nailed it with the yoke and throttle.

Back