Xpdr/static/altim testing....Pitot & ASI??

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
It's been 4 yrs since I was in on a thread covering 'do any regs require a recurring Pitot/ASI test" (Ref. the frequent use of the term "Pitot Static Test"

I thought I'd figured it out - that the Pitot-Static test was a misnomer and the high pressure side doesn't routinely get tested or there is no regular FAA-required testing.

Now I'm second guessing that because I see someone's certifications in the FAA database include "Pitot Static testing" (he's a repairman/mechanic at a CRS). (actually they typo'd it to Pilot-Static testing)

Not to be pedantic, just wondering what is right.

Maybe because of this?

Damage can occur to instruments that are connected to
both the static system and pitot system when only the static system is evacuated. These
instruments may exceed the maximum design differential pressure. One method to
prevent this type of damage is to tie both the pitot and static systems together when
conducting static system checks. This should result in zero differential pressure
regardless of the degree of static system evacuation. Note that a leak in either system will
affect the test process.

just wondering what is right.
In the context of the 411/413 tests, the specific pitot system itself has no test requirements. However, since a static line is connected to most airspeed indictors, the pitot system is included in the required static system checks by default. So if your CRS repairman did not have the "pitot testing" listed in his rating he could not perform only the "static testing." Regardless, the use of "Pitot Static Testing" is accurate enough to be used in a number of references.

Our CRS tests the pitot system for leaks at 75 kts on the test set. We do hook up to the pitot system when testing the static at 1000'. I take the altimeter out of the system when running that up, as the descent checks are conducted at >5000 FPM, then >3000 FPM. Not trying to break a VSI.

Thanks.
So “pitot testing” is in most cases not an FAR requirement and as such, the term “Pitot Static Test“ is incorrect from a regulatory viewpoint.
Well I’m not going on a crusade to change what people call it, that’s never a worthy venture.
I’ll just be glad to know what is actually being done.

Back