XM add on

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I am aware of the XM Wx devices like WxWorx that will give Wx but what about Wx and entertainment in a single device that wil not require a major modification or....is portable?

This is for in cockpit use.

I was moreso looking for something that would be EFB compatible. I think there is a model of the WxWorx that will do Wx via RF and music via Bluetooth. No idea how to pipe it in...I'll have to take another look at the audio panel to find out what expansion capabilities are there.

I was moreso looking for something that would be EFB compatible. I think there is a model of the WxWorx that will do Wx via RF and music via Bluetooth. No idea how to pipe it in...I'll have to take another look at the audio panel to find out what expansion capabilities are there.
The stuff that I have seen that adds XM is pretty expensive compared to the Garmin options (396/496 or the Aeras).

For the cost of adding XM to an iPad/iPhone, you might as well buy a new Aera with the XM and use that in conjunction with the EFB. That is my current setup.

The WxWorx hardware is capable of it, but I have seen few of the software packages which actually implement it; they typically lack the capability in software to tune and control the audio.

The WxWorx hardware is capable of it, but I have seen few of the software packages which actually implement it; they typically lack the capability in software to tune and control the audio.
But even if you did have the software to use it.....the WxWorx hardware costs around $1000......which coincidentally is about what you would pay for a brand new Garmin Aera 510 which straight out of the box will give you both the GPS features AND the weather and XM radio.

If you are going to pay that much to add the weather to an EFB, you might as well go with the Garmin and have a second gps moving map.

But even if you did have the software to use it.....the WxWorx hardware costs around $1000......which coincidentally is about what you would pay for a brand new Garmin Aera 510 which straight out of the box will give you both the GPS features AND the weather and XM radio.

If you are going to pay that much to add the weather to an EFB, you might as well go with the Garmin and have a second gps moving map.

Yes, but it can't play Angry Birds:mad2:

Anybody know if the weather receiver that came with anywheremap wx would work with the ipad and Foreflight?

Yes, but it can't play Angry Birds:mad2:
That's what the ipad is for......so on those long flights, you can call up Angry Birds on the iPad, and still listen to your XM through the Garmin while you occasionally glance at the moving map.

Anybody know if the weather receiver that came with anywheremap wx would work with the ipad and Foreflight?

Do you know who makes this receiver?

Never mind. I thought I could look at my latest FF devices tab, but it tells YOU what is hooked to it.

With the latest FF version, you can buy a Sirrus WX reciever kit for $199, then pay your Sirrus subscription and you have inflight weather. There's no extra cost from FF to support this.

Last edited:
Assuming you have a jack in the panel for external music input, I most highly recommend what I've been using for the last few years -- Garmin Aera 510. It's also my car GPS and XM input -- one radio, one subscription, all vehicles. Really pays off when I'm traveling, as it provides GPS and XM radio in the rental cars, too.

Assuming you have a jack in the panel for external music input, I most highly recommend what I've been using for the last few years -- Garmin Aera 510. It's also my car GPS and XM input -- one radio, one subscription, all vehicles. Really pays off when I'm traveling, as it provides GPS and XM radio in the rental cars, too.
A definite added bonus!

Do you know who makes this receiver?

Never mind. I thought I could look at my latest FF devices tab, but it tells YOU what is hooked to it.

With the latest FF version, you can buy a Sirrus WX reciever kit for $199, then pay your Sirrus subscription and you have inflight weather. There's no extra cost from FF to support this.

$199 eh? Say it isn't so.
Recommendation?

I was not aware that Sirius is providing inflight weather, only their XM subsidiary. FWIW, the two systems are not compatible, so for XM weather, you need an XM device.

KMA-26 allegedly will support this but:dunno:

$199 eh? Say it isn't so.
Recommendation?

If I remember correctly I saw a link to the source on the FF blog.

http://blog.foreflight.com/

I just perused quickly so you probably need to look and study for yourself the above blog. Toward the bottom of the general text it talks about a reciever for $150 and the weather link is from something like: "wxworks."

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I was not aware that Sirius is providing inflight weather, only their XM subsidiary. FWIW, the two systems are not compatible, so for XM weather, you need an XM device.

I might be wrong about Sirrius being the source, but there is a weather source available now for FF. It takes a reciever and a subscription, but is supported in the standard version of FF with no additional cost.

The Baron Link for IPad is a 200.00 device that....
Lets you connect your 900+.00 WXWorx receiver to the ipad by basically being a bluetooth/wifi switch, since Apple won't support the Serial Port Profile on the iPad and let you directly connect to a bluetooth WXWorx receiver.

So, it appears like XM WX is still 1000 bucks for the receiver, plus 200 because Apple are asshats about the bluetooth serial port profile.

Thanks for the clarification Tim! Even if $150 was all I needed to spend on a receiver, I can't justify the $40 a month for the service for my local flying, so I never investigated further to find that another grand was needed to be spent for the other box.

I hope I didn't cause too much confusion for everyone.

Where did you see this? I haven't seen anything mentioned other than the $1000+ WxWorx option.

You'd need an XM weather receiver rather than even an XM radio device.

So the generic reference to "Sirius" when one specifically means "XM" is just as harmless referring to a "device" when you mean "weather receiver."

The Baron Link for IPad is a 200.00 device that....
Lets you connect your 900+.00 WXWorx receiver to the ipad by basically being a bluetooth/wifi switch, since Apple won't support the Serial Port Profile on the iPad and let you directly connect to a bluetooth WXWorx receiver.

So, it appears like XM WX is still 1000 bucks for the receiver, plus 200 because Apple are asshats about the bluetooth serial port profile.

So basically I can hook up the bluetooth weather receiver to the Baron unit and pay a monthly subscription to XM, or I can get the $800 ADS-B unit with no subscription but have spotty reception.

Hmmmmmmm......

Spotty puts it mildly. Remember ADS-B is only guaranteed in flight. And as we've seen in the other thread, zero coverage here in the fly-over States so far.

Want to look at weather on the ground? Keep that 4G subscription! Want to visit the Rockies? Has to be XM for now...

This will, of course, all change eventually. :)

Back