Xcountry flightplan/datasheet

obelix

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
obelix
Does anyone here have a good work sheet to work off of for cross country flight planning? The one I have out of the glem book isn't very good.

also, anyone who has done cross country during the FAA oral/practical, what do they do for it? Do they have a template or do we bring our own?

Just Google for it, you'll find 20 variations.

also, anyone who has done cross country during the FAA oral/practical, what do they do for it? Do they have a template or do we bring our own?

This will depend on the DPE but I don't think I've heard of one providing a template. There have been other discussions about the merits of those DPEs (the minority) who want you to plan in front of them -- most will have you bring a plan you prepared based on guidance provided by them the day before the checkride. You'll also find a mix of some who will accept a computer generated plan (e.g. Foreflight, Wingx, etc) vs. those who will want it long hand.

I had a spreadsheet cut down to the bare minimum required by the PTS for cross country planning so you don't have a page full of 10k numbers. My first DPE was NOT a fan. It had everything required but he got upset. "THIS IS NOT THE ASA SHEET!!!!!!"

Does anyone here have a good work sheet to work off of for cross country flight planning? The one I have out of the glem book isn't very good.
The ones from Dauntless are very nice.
http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/Freebies/VFRFlightPlanner/

"They" do nothing. You bring everything you want to use. This is covered in the Practical Test Standards, which your flight instructor should be showing and discussing with you.

For my check rides I brought my own nav logs. If you google VFR nav log you'll see a bunch of different options. You can also make your own spreadsheet.

Go on the web,modify the VFR sheet to meet your needs. Most flight schools make their own spread sheets. Get ahold of one and go to the copy machine.

well my question is.......are you just looking for something for the checkride? maybe you can just use what you've been using to get thru the checkride, then customize something, or just eventually phase them out completely ( :hairraise: )? I'm just suggesting this if you've been using something this whole time and change it up right before your checkride, it might screw you up more than help you, I dunno.

I made my own. I used it for a while after getting my ticket, until I got to the point where I didn't need a log, and just kept the flight in my head.

well my question is.......are you just looking for something for the checkride? maybe you can just use what you've been using to get thru the checkride, then customize something, or just eventually phase them out completely ( :hairraise: )? I'm just suggesting this if you've been using something this whole time and change it up right before your checkride, it might screw you up more than help you, I dunno.

Yes, I'm looking for something tailored for the checkride. I did my first couple hours of XC today and found that my sheet from the glem book wasn't all that great. I googled XC sheets and saw quite a few, so I came here to find out to figure out what would be the easiest to use for a checkride..

I simply googled it and downloaded the first for I found that was in excell. I started out printing them and hand jamming the numbers before I just started typing it out. I got lazy and input equations in each block so it would auto calculate just about everything. On my IFR ride my DPE looked at it and asked why I took the time to type it all out. When I told her about the equations, she ran a couple of numbers and said that if I could do that I must know what I was doing and we moved on.

I don't have it here but I think I have a copy on my work computer if you would like to look at it.

1+ on the Dauntless, seems widely used, familiar to many.
Seems like a little thing, but really like how it folds to fit on a kneeboard with great organization of each segment viewed that way - you'll understand that once you see one.

Back