XC Requirements for PPL Certificate

I don't think that reviewing the student's checkpoints, nav log, making sure they did proper math or wind correction angle, got the correct forecast, applied magnetic variation properly, etc., is micromanagement at all. I'd say it was proper, responsible and ordinary CFI review actions that occur every day.

You endorsed the student for a flight different from the one they planned. To me, that doesn't meet the letter of the regulations. In your view, can you change all the airports from their plan? How far does this go? Can you call them on the radio after takeoff and tell them "Instead of A-B-C-A, why don't you fly A-D-E-A instead? I want to see if you can do it. I know you didn't plan any of that route, but don't worry, I endorsed it that way in your logbook."

Again, I do LIKE your diversion envelope idea. I think it would be extremely valuable. But I can't see where it's permitted under the strict controls placed on student pilots.

When I review, I ask what's your contingency plans if such and such happens. When we make a diversion in real life, we don't worry about a full blown wind correction angle calc, exactly what time we are going to cross a checkpoint, etc. We ballpark it, and reevaluate on the fly, right? I mean, that's what happens on the check ride, or at least that's what happened on mine. "We need to divert to B, what do you do?" I pointed the nose, ran the numbers in my head and said should be about 20 minutes to get there. That satisfied the DPE and we did maneuvers. I can't see spending 20 minutes calculating a 7 checkpoint diversion and calculating to the second when we are going to cross it when it's only a 25 minute diversion. So our discussion of their contingency plan, is reviewing their plan. We have Lake Michigan to the west of us. That SOB messes up weather forecasts all. the. time. We have contingency plans for contingency plans.

I don't think the controls are as strict as you are reading them to be.

Limitations on authorized instructors to permit solo cross-country flights. An authorized instructor may not permit a student pilot to conduct a solo cross-country flight unless that instructor has:
(1) Determined that the student's cross-country planning is correct for the flight;
I say that reviewing a contingency plan covers it.

"What's your plan if weather goes to hell when you're on this flight?"
"I would do XYZ."
"Good answer, what if XYZ doesn't work?"
"ABC BBD"
"Awesome, love me some Motown Philly, have fun on the flight."

The student's planning is correct.

Funny you mention the change all the airports. I in fact did this with a student. Now it was dual XC, but we had planned to go to Indiana and meet a PoA'er for lunch. In the meantime Doc B said he was headed up to MCD and asked me to join up. Said I couldn't had a student XC and we were headed south. We are at the airport, I've already reviewed the student's plan and the first PoA'er texts me a picture of a fuel leak under their plane, they aren't going. "Mikey time to learn about GA and what goes down, give me a quick and dirty on going to MCD instead of what we planned." So I watch him ball park the route, checkpoints, etc, and we hop in the plane and go meet Doc B. So while it wasn't the solo XC, yeah, I've done that with students.

If they have an emergency and have to land somewhere else, then as a student pilot they are no longer allowed to continue the flight home without a new endorsement. What I expect them to do AFTER their checkride IS irrelevant, because that falls under a separate set of rules. So as a student I do expect them to call me, we'll figure out the issue together, and if it's something that can be resolved so they can fly home they will have to plan that flight. And I'll have to review their planning and endorse it. Of course I do. That's pretty clear in the regulations.
LOL. For my diversion (real) on my first solo cross country, the entire process consisted of:
Me: the radios crapped out so I diverted to Springfield. What do you want me to do?
CFI: does the airplane fly without radios?
Me: Yes.
CFI: Then fly it home.
On my second, I didn't even bother calling.

Back