XC Logging .. again

ethosunum

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
EthosUnum
i believe i have this right... but when do we not.

Just went out for the morning today.
For those following along in skyvector, etc. KHEF -> KCJR (full stop, but did not leave plane) -> KMRB -> KHEF

I would like to log it as
Flight 1. KHEF->KCJR (XC <50nm) and
Flight 2. KCJR-53nm>KMRB->KHEF (XC >50nm)

Within the regs?

It's all cross country and can be logged as such. It is just a matter of what you can use it for. What is the distance between EACH of the other legs?

KHEF -20nm> KCJR -53nm> KMRB -46.3nm> KHEF

looking for 61.101c XC time to count a rating, eventually.

i suppose another interpretation could be that only the kcjr->kmrb is 61.101c XC time.

It's all cross country and can be logged as such. It is just a matter of what you can use it for. What is the distance between EACH of the other legs?

Looking at Skyvector, based on where you started, KHEF, your complete KHEF-KCJR-KMRB-KHEF flight is not a "countable" cross country because no landing is more than 50 NM from KHEF. But you can treat the KHEF-KCJR as a "re-positioning flight" and use KCJR-KMRB-KHEF as a countable cross country.

Personally, I'd look for a route that would allow me to count the whole thing.

But you can treat the KHEF-KCJR as a "re-positioning flight" and use KCJR-KMRB-KHEF as a countable cross country.

It seems that's what OP wanted to do in the first place.

If it all happened on the same day, I log it as one line in the logbook and log it all as cross country time. To each his own.

You can start the flight at whatever point you want and it can continue for as many legs as you want until you declare it over. The FAA doesn't care if you make each leg a flight or you go to bed and continue the flight tomorrow.

What matters is for whatever flight you log is the ORIGIN airport and DESTINATION 50 miles apart or not.

In this case you can log KHEF -> KMRB as one XC and KMRB->KHEF as another and maximize the XC time.

If it all happened on the same day, I log it as one line in the logbook and log it all as cross country time. To each his own.
I don't think that's the issue he raised. Yes, you can fly for 3 days and count it all as one flight, but if none of the places you flew are >50 miles from the point you chose as the "original point of departure" it's just not a countable cross country toward Part 61 certificates and ratings.

In the case of the OP, as he proposed doing, he's better off treating that first leg as a separate flight and using the destination of that flight as his "oriignal point of departure."

What matters is for whatever flight you log is the ORIGIN airport and DESTINATION 50 miles apart or not.

61.1(b) Cross-country time (II)(B) "That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and"

To me that does not say the destination must be 50nm from the point of departure, only that a point of landing, which may or may not be the destination, must be 50nm from the point of departure.

But you can treat the KHEF-KCJR as a "re-positioning flight" and use KCJR-KMRB-KHEF as a countable cross country.
That was the intent.

I don't think that's the issue he raised. Yes, you can fly for 3 days and count it all as one flight, but if none of the places you flew are >50 miles from the point you chose as the "original point of departure" it's just not a countable cross country toward Part 61 certificates and ratings.

In the case of the OP, as he proposed doing, he's better off treating that first leg as a separate flight and using the destination of that flight as his "oriignal point of departure."

Yes as midlifeflyer points out. it's all XC by definition of a landing point other than departure. But the real question is of that XC how much is countable towards a cert.

myflightbook allows you to keep track of XC, XC<50nm, and XC>50nm all individually if one choosed.

I'm going with XC=countable towards a cert and XC<50nm as separate. (This is only because myflightbooks progress tracker for ratings only counts "XC", so i want my XC column to be the 61.1b(ii)(B) definition.)

Since i've just finished my ppl this year, i don't have many hours. But going forward i'd like to be able to keep the hours organized without having to go back and re-tally.

Last edited:

Ah now I understand the question. Yeah I would do the first leg as a separate flight, then count the other two legs as one. Whatever gets you the most time in each column of your logbook, do that.

Back