XC Distance

C_Parker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
x
In Foreflight, I noticed a curious difference between the track log and the logged XC distance.

It appears Foreflight is autopopulating the straight line distance instead of the actual track distance. For instance, one leg I went way out of the way and there's 75 miles difference between track log and the distance.

Now, besides the long XC for the commercial ticket I know it's not crucial. This is really just for my own purposes, but is that by design?

Can we see a screen shot?

It doesn’t matter.

For the purposes of cross-country time toward a rating, it must go by straight line distance. If airport ABC is 80 miles from the origin airport but you deviate around weather and it ends up taking you 110 miles to get there it doesn’t count.

I really don’t understand your question but that’s my stab at it.

Ok, but if I wanted to log distance by track log for my own purposes that's fine, as long as I'm not claiming that towards a rating. Got it. Thanks.

Ok, but if I wanted to log distance by track log for my own purposes that's fine, as long as I'm not claiming that towards a rating. Got it. Thanks.
Sure!

No regulatory problem scrapbooking your logbook, so long as the entries can't be confused with the real ones. Since there is no regulatory requirement to log distances (well maybe one or two, sometimes), probably no problem.

Back