X-post from Red Board|How not to impress ATC

I was once landing at Meigs for Young Eagles when I heard the tower and a Bonanza asking for a straight in due to some (gear?) problem. I made a quick call up to give my position and intention for landing and said I understood the emergency and would hold 10 miles north. The tower said to come on in. It'll be over by time I got there.

You need to to stay of the frequency and outta their hair fer chissakes!

Is that the famous Bonanza emergency at Meigs where some guy got sued for using the radio too much and distracting the pilot with the problem??

But yeah, once you hear there is an emergency, STFU and stay out of the way.

Is that the famous Bonanza emergency at Meigs where some guy got sued for using the radio too much and distracting the pilot with the problem??

But yeah, once you hear there is an emergency, STFU and stay out of the way.

No. This one was such a non event that I don't even remember seeing or hearing about it when I got there.

Who the heck does this?! I mean, seriously...

Cheers,

-Andrew
I would describe him as an idiot who was given an out when the controller did not respond to him. But, he pushed for an answer when he knew well there was an aircraft in distress. He clearly wanted to talk himself into a visit by the "Men in Black." Of course, they would only be there to... help him. :)

This is his resume from his own words...so obviously he doesn't have to take orders from anybody:

I was the ASO (Aviation Safety Officer) of 3 different Navy Squadrons (1974-1982) , all 3 of which won awards for our lack of accidents. I was also Director of Safety and Air Standards (1988-1992) for all of Pan American World Airways Flight Engineers, and later (1995-1997) served as ground safety manager for AirTran at Atlanta Hartsfield. My entire adult life has been spent in aviation safety. The folks who come to our FLORIDA SEAPLANES training courses, both SES and MES, recieve extremely valuable training and are taught to operate safely from big lakes, small, lakes, normal, glassy water, confined area, crosswind, and even river operations. So to suggest flaws in our training here MIKE is very poor on your part, especially since I don't ever recall meeting you! We have an enviable record of safety here at FLORIDA SEAPLANES dating back to our start in 1992- zero accidents!

I was once landing at Meigs for Young Eagles when I heard the tower and a Bonanza asking for a straight in due to some (gear?) problem. I made a quick call up to give my position and intention for landing and said I understood the emergency and would hold 10 miles north. The tower said to come on in. It'll be over by time I got there.

You need to to stay of the frequency and outta their hair fer chissakes!

Well, the 757 was on a different freq, he had been assigned a discrete at the beginning of the tape and was being handled by a different controller, and the dude did have a point, he just pushed it too far.

What a dick.

Well, the 757 was on a different freq, he had been assigned a discrete at the beginning of the tape and was being handled by a different controller, and the dude did have a point, he just pushed it too far.

Valid point or not (which I don't think he did, as the controller has no requirement to clear him in the Bravo airspace, and never actually did), we're not using CB radios. There's no excuse for that kind of trucker comm. Be professional and polite at all times. If you have an issue, they have a number to call.

I'm sure his seaplane didn't burn that much gas being routed around, and if it did, well he should've flown higher (even above the Bravo) to save gas, not 500 feet.

What a maroon. I don't care who he is or what his qualifications are, there was no excuse for that. Gives us all a black eye with that level of unprofessionalism.

For crying out loud. A seaplane over the lake?

and um... What Spike said.

Back