X-C to all new airports.

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
A couple Saturdays ago, me and a buddy did a 3 hr round trip to 5 local airports that we hadn't seen before. We finally got the weather, although the day did start with some heavy valley fog (see pics). Surprisingly, our airport was clear when we got there. It will occasionally be fogged in, but we got lucky I guess.

The trip was KLBE - KWAY (Greene Co., PA) - 2G2 (Jefferson Co., OH) - KTSO (Carroll Co., OH) - 0G2 (Columbiana Co., OH) - 29D (Grove City, PA) then home.

The little diner at KTSO has good food and is known for having quite a selection of pies. I didn't try them, but they looked good. 2G2 and 0G2 are smaller airports and we didn't really do more than taxi back. 29D is a nice little strip with skydiving operations and the Grove City outlet shopping center is just a short walk down the road. We saw the King Air loading up the jumpers as we were getting ready to take off. You can see their landing area on the NW corner of the field in the pictures I've attached.

It was a beautiful day with a mostly clear sky and a light NE wind. On the way back from 29D, we climbed to 5500 because of some light turbulence. I don't get that high most of the time because I'm usually doing shorter trips.

If you're a local flyer like I usually am, get out there and visit the other local airports. You never know what you'll see (nice mix of planes at KTSO) or who you'll run into (chatting with the locals).

I already have a list of others in the area including one (7G1) just west of KPIT that has a road across the runway.

I've attached some pics I thought were kind of cool. My favorite is the valley fog we saw on the first leg. The pics don't do it justice. It was absolutely stunning to see from a couple thousand feet up.

Be safe out there!
Scott

Attachments

• KLBE TO KWAY fog-RiverValley.JPG
    KLBE TO KWAY fog-RiverValley.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 02G-turning final RW7.JPG
    02G-turning final RW7.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 78
  • 29D-Downwind RW10.JPG
    29D-Downwind RW10.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 74
  • KWAY_to_2G2 fog.JPG
    KWAY_to_2G2 fog.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 71
  • 29D-short final RW10.JPG
    29D-short final RW10.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 66
  • 2G2-approach32.JPG
    2G2-approach32.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 60
Very cool! If you haven't been already and decide to go north, KOYM (Saint Marys) has a nice resteraunt on the field. I'm told that Franklin (KFKL) does as well, but I've only hit that one with touch-and-goes during my PP training...

This is the type of thing I've been doing this year after mostly local and training on different types. One day I just realized I was spending all my money flying local on different types that I wasn't doing enough time in to be confident. So I just decided to focus on flying the trusty 172 this year and go to a different airfield per flight. Here's this weekend's trip to KLCI:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctsui/15521523822/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctsui/15521914515/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctsui/15521525612/in/photostream/

Nice! May be a little bit of a trek, but I did a trip once up to Sandusky, did a day at Cedar Point, hotel, then flew the next day to all the island airports up there. Kelley, North Bass, Middle Bass, Middle Bass East Point, then stopped in Put-In-Bay for lunch, then flew home. One of the better flying trips I've been on.

I'm on a quest to see how many airports in the country ,I can land at. Did a trip from ma. To ak. This summer,love a good cross country. Nice pics.

Nice! May be a little bit of a trek, but I did a trip once up to Sandusky, did a day at Cedar Point, hotel, then flew the next day to all the island airports up there. Kelley, North Bass, Middle Bass, Middle Bass East Point, then stopped in Put-In-Bay for lunch, then flew home. One of the better flying trips I've been on.

That is exactly the kind of trip I could get my wife interested in. She doesn't get just flying around. If there is a destination, then she's glad to come along.

Very cool! If you haven't been already and decide to go north, KOYM (Saint Marys) has a nice resteraunt on the field. I'm told that Franklin (KFKL) does as well, but I've only hit that one with touch-and-goes during my PP training...

I started for St Mary's, but wx made me turn back. And like you, I've only been to KFKL on my long x-c. A friend of mine from the flight school takes his wife up there quite a bit. He seems to really enjoy their restaurant. I think it's Italian food mostly. He did tell me that you get good size portions there.

Scottk ,have you thought about joining operation fly?

Great thread! With my new plane I'm gonna do this type of thing. First goal is to land at all airports in Mississippi. And this fall I'd like to fly to gatlinburg to see the fall foliage.

I look forward to hearing more about your adventures!

Last edited:
Scottk ,have you thought about joining operation fly?

Actually Ron, I did join. and I had the Operation Fly sign on the seat of my truck. About half way between 1st and 2nd airport I remembered that I left it behind.

I printed out a list of airports that are still not claimed. Hopefully, I'll be able to add to it down the road.

Back