WWW II ghosts superimposed on today's pictures

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Russian photographer Sergey Larenkov has been taking World War II photos and superimposing them over recent photos shot in the exact same location, creating a gallery of featuring some truly haunting imagery.

http://sergey-larenkov.livejournal.com/tag/Война

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0005y0zz.jpg
    0005y0zz.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 0005q417.jpg
    0005q417.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 205
That's interesting. The number among us who have been around long enough to remember such wars is diminishing, and it's difficult for the rest of us to even visualize the signs of war in the places we see on a regular basis. It has an effect, I think, that inability to even conceive of a war at home, to even be able to imagine what it might look like.

Last week I was at the beach in Delaware, standing on a wooden deck outside a snack bar, waiting for my girlfriend, and I'm looking at this weird concrete structure under the boarded walkway to the beach, it was semi-circular in shape and had a rail that looked like a train track around the perimeter. It eventually dawned on me that it was an artillery mount from WWII. They just took the gun away, and built the snack bar on top of it.
-harry

Harry do you know those concrete towers on the beach between Dewey and Bethany? I guarded at that beach the towers were for spotting subs.

These are astounding photos. Wow.

Harry and Adam, you see that sort of thing all over the place in Europe. Not just from the wars of the 20th century, either. A gelato place we visited in Tuscany was once an Etruscan building of some sort. Before it was a place to obtain delightful yummy treats, it was a garage.

Harry do you know those concrete towers on the beach between Dewey and Bethany? I guarded at that beach the towers were for spotting subs.
Yes, I'm very familiar with those towers. The artillery mount I noticed under the snack bar was in the same area, at Cape Henlopen. I found this description:
http://www.fortmiles.org/firepower/batteries/batt2226.html

panamamt.jpg

"...155MM Panama Mount (Gun #1, Battery 22) at Cape Henlopen State Park..."

-harry

That's interesting. The number among us who have been around long enough to remember such wars is diminishing, and it's difficult for the rest of us to even visualize the signs of war in the places we see on a regular basis. It has an effect, I think, that inability to even conceive of a war at home, to even be able to imagine what it might look like.

Last week I was at the beach in Delaware, standing on a wooden deck outside a snack bar, waiting for my girlfriend, and I'm looking at this weird concrete structure under the boarded walkway to the beach, it was semi-circular in shape and had a rail that looked like a train track around the perimeter. It eventually dawned on me that it was an artillery mount from WWII. They just took the gun away, and built the snack bar on top of it.
-harry

I rented a place some years back, and got evicted six months later (with a full refund of my rent), because it turned out the apartment was illegal. The landlord hadn't known that when he rented it to me. Unfortunately, another tenant he evicted (in the other tenant's case for non-payment of rent) apparently did know it and reported him to the city, and they made him tear the apartment out.

In the process of researching it, however, we learned some interesting history.

The apartment was built in what would have been the attic of a walk-up when it was built. It was a huge, open, airy place with many windows, but most of them in the "rear" of the apartment (meaning that part opposite the side that faced the street). Other than the bedrooms and the spartan bath / shower room, everything else was just one huge room.

The kitchen was not a "room," but an area where the ancient stove and sink (and the slightly-less ancient refrigerator) were. The dining area was the area adjacent to the kitchen area. And so forth. All one big room, but oddly enough, divided -- yet without walls -- into areas that just seemed to logically serve as "rooms," even before the furniture was arranged. I loved the place. It was basically a huge loft, except without the high ceilings. And it was only a grand a month -- dirt cheap by NYC standards.

There also was a terrace, of sorts, in the back that could be reached by climbing through the rear windows -- kind of an odd arrangement that I wondered about at first. And there was evidence of various things that had been mounted on the rear terrace at some point in time, but which had since been removed. I assumed that they were remnants of various TV or radio antennae mounts.

As it turned out, the apartment was actually built as an observation post during the years leading up to WWII. There was a notation in the Building Department records of a "temporary" apartment being built there for use by the War Department. The rear of the house faced the East River, and apparently lookouts were stationed there.

The apartment was used throughout the war, and afterward was pretty much continually rented as a residential unit. Apparently there were quite a few of these places scattered throughout the city, which I hadn't known until then.

But there was a deadline and process for these apartments to be legalized for civilian use, which the previous landlord never bothered with. Basically, papers had to be filed and important things like fire escapes had to be up to code. The Army Engineers' existing statements that the additions didn't compromise the structural safety of the building would suffice for the rest. After that date, however, the process of legalizing the apartments would be much more complex, requiring architects, engineers, and so forth, which would make the process much more expensive.

The landlord was mightily annoyed, of course, not in the least because the city had been taxing him on the apartment ever since he bought the building. But under NYC law, the fact that the City is collecting tax on a place doesn't make it legal. I learned some new cuss words from Eddie when he found that out.

He was more than honorable to me, though. He refunded all of the rent I'd paid, and even helped me schlep my stuff to the new place I found a few blocks away.

It was humbling to think of the history of the place, and how history affects us in so many ways we never think about. Where I slept, people once stood watch for threats to our nation's continued existence, diligently standing their watches on the same "terrace" that I used to soak up rays and burn steaks. Very humbling indeed.

It also reminded me of when I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, and large portions of the extensive underground civil defense shelters were still accessible, if you looked for them. All of the basements on my block, for example, had doors and passageways connecting them, some locked, others not.

Air raid shelter signs were still tacked to the exteriors of the buildings, and it's within the realm of possibility that certain curious children may have, on occasion, found ways to bypass the locked doors, get into these old shelters, and explore. It's also theoretically possible that we those children came across all sorts of items dating back to the war, ranging from emergency water and rations, to blankets, to huge old radio sets, to the occasional firearm, and most valuable of all, maps of the underground network of civil defense tunnels and basements, to fuel even more exploration.

I think that's where my those childrens' love of history was born.

-Rich

Those are cool pictures.

When we lived in Poland, in the early 1970s, there were still piles of rubble in Warsaw. Of course, they pretty much had to rebuild the entire city from scratch, thank you very much Hitler and Stalin.

There was also an extraordinary number of people who were missing one limb or another. As an American, I had never seen anything like it.

-harry

I used to play on the artillery moutnings in Cape May, NJ when I was a kid. They are still there as well as the brick sub spotting towers around the area. Many of the airports up and downthe coast, like KWWD and KGED are WWII airports built for coastal reconnaisance and training.

Yes, the memories are fading.

we fly gliders from an old naval air station. it'd be cool to see some overlaid photos from the old days with the way it looks now...

There are many things from the great war that are being forgotten, or deliberately ignored because the facts are politically inconvenient...

Among those are that Japan successfully invaded the USA and American Servicemen died on US soil during WWII while driving them off...

denny-o

There are many things from the great war that are being forgotten, or deliberately ignored because the facts are politically inconvenient...

Among those are that Japan successfully invaded the USA and American Servicemen died on US soil during WWII while driving them off...

denny-o

Errr...what's forgotten or ignored because of political inconvenience about that?

I fly out of KOLM. It was a P-38 base during WWII. Interesting web site at http://p38assn.org/fate.htm listing the fate of many early P-38s. A large number of them crashed near OLM. No cause given, but I'll bet our weather had a lot to do with it.

ONZ was originally a Naval Air Station where they flew dirigibles – that hangar is now a tennis club.

It was expanded and used for training during WW-II and continued to be used into the '70s. There was a sea-plane ramp and a big concrete circle in the middle that was used for carrier practice.

As I kid, I lived about a block away from the west gate for a while – we would hang out along the fence to watch the aircraft. The beacon would flash on my window shade at night.

Now, it is Grosse Ile Municipal Airport – the barracks and married housing are gone. The big circle is gone. The tower is still there but abandoned.

If you mean the invasion and occupation of Attu and Kiska in June, 1942, you could call the Aleutian invasion a success since it was the following August before US and Canadian forces finally secured the islands.

It's also true the Japanese invasion of the Aleutians isn't very high in the remembrances of the general population, but I think that's due more to the relatively small impact to the overall prosecution of the war and the fact that Aleutian operation overlapped the US invasion of the Solomon Islands which began in August 1942 and drew much greater resources and publicity.

Yes, I fully realize that "small impact" is a meaningless and possibly even offensive term to the men who fought in the Aleutians and to the family and friends of those who died there. But, I don't think there is any "political inconvenience" associated with the invasion and eventual defeat of the Japanese forces in the Aleutians.

Or are you referring to something else?

we fly gliders from an old naval air station. it'd be cool to see some overlaid photos from the old days with the way it looks now...
Ever since I was in college I have enjoyed watching the hang gliders at Fort Funston in San Francisco which is another gun emplacement. There are quite a few in the Bay Area.

The 'politically inconvenient' reference was not specifically about the Aleutians, forgotten was... I am not going to start a 'political' thread/war on here by listing the various administrations and various elected pliticians and what they have chosen to look the other way on, while pandering for votes... Let's let it rest and stick to flying... Those who wish to dig a little can do a search on invasion of USA and spie rings in USA and attacks on USA... The wonders of the internet will produce prodigious amounts of reading..

The P-38 was a tremendous fighting machine, and darned dangerous to the pilot... It was called the flying coffin for a reason... Bad weather and 19 year old pilots with 50 hours total time competed as reasons for bringing them down...

denny-o

Back