Votes: 51 86.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Curious, do you find any of these types of acronymns offensive? I'll explain further why I ask after the poll matures a bit.

Last edited:
Not offensive to me, but then I'm active duty Navy, so I have always understood WTF to be an official acronym.

No more offensive that SOB has been for the last 30 or 40 years. The acronym serves as a less offensive replacement of the original in many ways.

Depends on the situation. You need that option in your poll.

Depends on the situation.

So reasonable aviation weather abbreviations are too much trouble yet assorted crazy social abbreviations are not only acceptable, they're encouraged. That doesn't seem right to me.

What could more military than SNAFU?

You can alway claim the F is "fouled."

Curious, do you find any of these types of acronymns offensive? I'll explain further why I ask after the poll matures a bit.
Unlike partial spellings with symbols replacing similar looking letters, acronyms require the reader to already know the words involved and provides the opportunity to substitute less offensive ones should the need arise (e.g. "What does WTF mean?" from your six year old daughter reading over your shoulder). IMO to be offended by an acronym requires that the offendee really wants to be offended and is making an effort to be offended. Not far from being offended by what you imagine someone else is thinking.

Not offensive to me, but then I'm active duty Navy, so I have always understood WTF to be an official acronym.

When I worked as a civilian for the Navy in the late 1970s I thought "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over" was a standard test message. :D

Unlike partial spellings with symbols replacing similar looking letters, acronyms require the reader to already know the words involved and provides the opportunity to substitute less offensive ones should the need arise (e.g. "What does WTF mean?" from your six year old daughter reading over your shoulder). IMO to be offended by an acronym requires that the offendee really wants to be offended and is making an effort to be offended. Not far from being offended by what you imagine someone else is thinking.

Ya mean like "They should all be burned!" ?

http://boingboing.net/2011/11/21/cursing-baby-doll.html

Depends on the situation. You need that option in your poll.

I mean here.

And, now that some discussion had passed. I asked the question because someone on the red board recently asked the mods when they were going to start doing something about people using WTF. A mod responded that they were looking into it.

My reaction was “Really? YGBSM! WTF? SOB STFU!”

But, then again, as those who have met me will tell you, nothing much offends me thus I'm not a good one to gage the appropriateness of that request…so I wanted to feel the pulse of others.

Last edited:
I mean here.

And, now that some discussion had passed. I asked the question because someone on the red board recently asked the mods when they were going to start doing something about people using WTF. A mod responded that they were looking into it.

But, then again, as those who have met me will tell you, nothing much offends me thus I'm not a good one to gage the appropriateness of that requeast…so I wanted to feel the pulse of others.
There's actually a simple solution to that....just stay away from the Red Board....that's what I do.

I mean here.

But, then again, as those who have met me will tell you, nothing much offends me thus I'm not a good one to gage the appropriateness of that requeast…so I wanted to feel the pulse of others.

I'm deeply offended by you. You should just STFU and KMA! :D

Yes I do. I do not use those terms myself, do not speak with those words, and frankly don't want to think them either. It's not necessary to resort to those kinds of words to express one's self.

Ryan

No, not at all. WTF???

We're always reminded to RTFQ before taking a written test.

You can find offense in any place you choose to look, if it is offense you seek to find. As it stands, I know what those acronyms mean, and choose not to find them offensive.

The gravest and most obnoxious abuses of other people I have observed have been committed by folks who sanctimoniously hold themselves out to be "better" than that. I have found these people's actions to eloquently speak of their true character, and the message spoken is not kind.

It all depends on context and how its directed. If you say this bloody airplane flys like a UPS truck, I will not be offended. If you say, "Your a bloody moron." I might cry myself to sleep.

<---<^>--->

I voted NO. But it depends on the context.

There's something wrong inside with anybody who gets offended NTTATWWT.

You can find offense in any place you choose to look, if it is offense you seek to find. As it stands, I know what those acronyms mean, and choose not to find them offensive.

The gravest and most obnoxious abuses of other people I have observed have been committed by folks who sanctimoniously hold themselves out to be "better" than that. I have found these people's actions to eloquently speak of their true character, and the message spoken is not kind.

What he said.......

If you voted Yes, STFU and DIAF!

Last edited:

I do not allow myself to be offended. However, I believe these acronyms are offensive to some and I find it unnecessary to use them.

What could more military than SNAFU?

You can alway claim the F is "fouled."

Story time.....

A mother of a 10 year old was scoding a child I front of me for using the "f" word a few minutes before I showed up. The little girl seemed like a nice girl that would not use such language. Then I learned the "f" word was fart. :rofl:

I am offended. Not sure why yet, I'll get back to you on that. ;)

Yes I do. I do not use those terms myself, do not speak with those words, and frankly don't want to think them either. It's not necessary to resort to those kinds of words to express one's self.

Ryan

I believe you mean "letters"

Ryan
Words? I don't see any "words" in question here, just acronyms.

Words? I don't see any "words" in question here, just acronyms.
Same thing. Just like minced oaths... I hear it all the time, I have pretty thick skin, but since it was asked, yes it does bother me.

Ryan

Back