WTF? YGBSM! etc. Offensive?

WTF? YGBSM! Offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 51 86.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The whole POINT of acronizing (is that a word? It is now) offensive words and phrases is to make them not offensive.

In my book anyone that is offended by WTF can STFU.

The whole POINT of acronizing (is that a word? It is now) offensive words and phrases is to make them not offensive.

In my book anyone that is offended by WTF can STFU.
So reducing a phrase (that would actually be remarkably offensive face-to-face) to some precisely-chosen letters (and we both know why you didn't use the real words), somehow sanitizes the whole deal?

You HAVE to be joking.

Ryan

Ryan,

Serious question 'cause I'm curious. If you're offended by substitute acronymns then do substitute words offend you? Like:

Fricken, Fracken, Effing.

or

****e, Sheet, Chit.

or

Darn, or Dang.

Not trying to be smart, just curious as to where you draw the line.

Last edited:
It's not the word or acronym, it is the context in which it is delivered. Eric Cantor standing in front of a crowd unloading numerous WTF might be funny, but not offensive. Miss Knox, the town's 3rd grade teacher doing it in front of her class, not so much.

Jehn,

FYI, the context & setting of the question have have been established:

We're talking about here...not in front of a third grade class.

But isn't that the point... If the audience were a bunch of 3rd graders, it wouldn't be proper nor acceptable (romperroom.com or disney.com). Here you are on the front porch with a bunch of adults, we shouldn't be so easily offended.
I actually think the filters should be removed. Let the real person shine through.

I mean here.
But, then again, as those who have met me will tell you, nothing much offends me thus I'm not a good one to gage the appropriateness of that request…so I wanted to feel the pulse of others.
My pulse seems to be stuck on finding inferred meaning of the (acronym?) gage.

:eek:)

Ryan,

Serious question 'cause I'm curious. If you're offended by substitute acronymns then do substitute words offend you? Like:

Fricken, Fracken, Effing.

or

****e, Sheet, Chit.

or

Darn, or Dang.

Not trying to be smart, just curious as to where you draw the line.
I try not to use those words either. That's how I was brought up, and from a religious / moral perspective, I think it is degrading to a person to use them on a regular basis. Actually, there IS a place for some of those words - in the proper context. There are actually places in the Bible that use the D-word in regard to those who are actually D-d. It's more the use of them as an interjection that just seems silly, and betrays a lack of self-control and respect for others. I find that being very patient, and keeping an even cool in the cockpit, for instance, goes a long way towards helping maintain a good learning environment in the cockpit when I'm training students. If I started using $^&(* or *&^% it would only frustrate them more.

Ryan

But isn't that the point... If the audience were a bunch of 3rd graders, it wouldn't be proper nor acceptable (romperroom.com or disney.com). Here you are on the front porch with a bunch of adults, we shouldn't be so easily offended.
I actually think the filters should be removed. Let the real person shine through.
I halfway agree with that, but then we DO draw lines in society. If the "real" person is a murderer, a thief, a known swindler, etc... we deal with the issue and (hopefully) do not celebrate it, but put them away or seek remedial action. The commom "F" used in a lot of those acronyms listed above is a very crude, rude, and insensitive term, especially. I despise it's usage far more than the D word...

Ryan

I find that being very patient, and keeping an even cool in the cockpit, for instance, goes a long way towards helping maintain a good learning environment in the cockpit when I'm training students. If I started using $^&(* or *&^% it would only frustrate them more.
Isn't this one of the places where context matters? You don't call them an @#$&ing idiot for doing something wrong. It would be just as inappropriate to call them an idiot without any modifier. But if they do something wrong and curse at themselves are you going to be offended?

Isn't this one of the places where context matters? You don't call them an @#$&ing idiot for doing something wrong. It would be just as inappropriate to call them an idiot without any modifier. But if they do something wrong and curse at themselves are you going to be offended?
I don't say anything to them when that happens because it would not be constructive when they are already upset. I don't like hearing the words, but I know that a discussion on that is not as appropriate as trying to help them figure out what went wrong.

Ryan

Wasn't there a study of cockpit voice recordings that highlighted the last words uttered were almost always a particular "cuss" word, which led to a number of later recordings ending in sad things like "I love you X" or "i'm sorry" to spouses?

I always found that freaky. One seems to convey that a pilot who was actively trying to fix things, ran out of options.

The other is strangely like they'd carefully pre-meditated that if that time ever happened, they'd give up just a split second sooner and focus on their rehearsed goodbye phrase.

Which meant... they worried enough about ending up the subject of a CVR review that they pre-planned what to say.

Eerie and strangely fatalistic. I obviously don't fly with a CVR, but I do record audio and video sometimes.

I think I'll stick with fighting it to the end, and the cuss word. Having pre-planned phraseology in mind for the loved ones after a fatal screwup or unavoidable accident, is way too weird for me.

I voted no, but like Tim I'm not the best judge as the terms don't offend me anyway.

However I can see the redboard poster's point. If you are going to filter the words should acroyms and alternate spellings (usually just intended to slip things past the filter) be allowed?

I have no issue with no filter, infact I came here to escape a nanystate forum. Well also to get away from some giant two faced lying rectal orfi...

in fact I came here to escape a nanystate forum. Well also to get away from some giant two faced lying rectal orfi...

:rofl:

Best post of the year! (and one of the most accurate).

It's hard to be both that funny and that sincere simultaneously, Dunc. Nice job. :)

Wasn't there a study of cockpit voice recordings that highlighted the last words uttered were almost always a particular "cuss" word, which led to a number of later recordings ending in sad things like "I love you X" or "i'm sorry" to spouses?

I always found that freaky. One seems to convey that a pilot who was actively trying to fix things, ran out of options.

The other is strangely like they'd carefully pre-meditated that if that time ever happened, they'd give up just a split second sooner and focus on their rehearsed goodbye phrase.

Which meant... they worried enough about ending up the subject of a CVR review that they pre-planned what to say.

Eerie and strangely fatalistic. I obviously don't fly with a CVR, but I do record audio and video sometimes.

I think I'll stick with fighting it to the end, and the cuss word. Having pre-planned phraseology in mind for the loved ones after a fatal screwup or unavoidable accident, is way too weird for me.
I fly with a CVR and 99.9% of the the time I forget it is there. Maybe that's not such a good thing but oh well. I certainly would not remember it was there during some kind of emergency.

That's good, but an even better idea is to not wait until it's too late to tell your loved ones how you feel, and then, in that last extra second you now have where you're neither cussing nor reciting your last words, pull a rabbit out of your hat and save the situation!

No, not "offended," for whatever that means, and I voted 'no'. But the progressive coarsening of discourse in society generally saddens me. Once upon a time our respect for strangers outweighed the urge to publicly exercise vocabulary we learned in junior high school. Those days are long gone, and I don't see it as a beneficial change.

No, not "offended," for whatever that means, and I voted 'no'. But the progressive coarsening of discourse in society generally saddens me. Once upon a time our respect for strangers outweighed the urge to publicly exercise vocabulary we learned in junior high school. Those days are long gone, and I don't see it as a beneficial change.

Personally, I don't use that type of language often. I reserve it for when I need to shock those around me to some kind of understanding...because they almost never hear such things come from my mouth, when it does, it generally gains instant and unqualified attention.

If, on the other hand, I used it frequently, it would have no impact, and I would lose a valuable tool in my communications toolbox.

Offended by WTF? Nope. But, as I have offended myself in the past, and likely to do so again, I can blame no one else but me. Only because I made it a point to learn what stuff means!

There is no right not to be offended. However, politeness, and kindness seems to be lost on today's society. It seems it is now a sign of weakness. :rolleyes:

Back