WTF, over? (Video of a bad landing and go around)

Some say that Luscombes are difficult to land ... :biggrin:

Sounds and looks like there was some wind he was dealing with. Our RV-9a was super easy to fly. It was docile with a very low stall speed. However, it was like a kite; wind gusts made for a wild ride that on occasion I found made for difficult to uncontrollable landings.

I don’t know what causes the porpoise we learned about that in seaplanes. Idk keep enough airspeed touch the ground, push nose down slightly for traction confirm power idle retract flaps boost pump off mixture leaned for taxi.

The thing I don’t like is I won’t be lined up exactly with the runway (with a crosswind) when touching down but once the wheels are down it usually works it way out.

At least he DID go around. He might have firewall damage, but he went around.

Too much speed -> landing flat or worse, nosewheel first. On the first bounce, go around.

Statistics show that those who ridicule and make fun the most, are the ones whose every landing is like this. Yet they act as if they crawled out of pudendum holding the certificate.

RV nose gears don't take well to that kind of slop in landing proficiency. Got a bit lucky in the phase of the PIO (turf they would have been effed).

All of the RVs I've put offers on in the past 3 years have been flipped. I'm ok with it, but it is a conceded opportunity cost of the design. Putting an oleo strut would be a big ol speed brake. Though puzzling in the first place, as I haven't heard as much negative outcomes in other pole-vault trikes like the AA-xx and Cirri. Granted I've never landed the latter two in turf, so it's difficult to make an apples to apples comparison, given most instances of RVs pole vaulting happen on "unimproved" surfaces. thankfully my "mission" doesn't include landing off-pavement (well, other than when cERtiFiEd engines fail me inflight.... :rofl: ) , so I can self-limit much of the risk within my use case.

Statistics show that those who ridicule and make fun the most, are the ones whose every landing is like this. Yet they act as if they crawled out of pudendum holding the certificate.
Which statistics would those be?

The dude came in too fast and tried to force the airplane onto the runway. When it bounced he again tried to force it back down again. As in a textbook porpoise, the bouncing got worse and worse. Then he tried to go-around without pitching toward a climb attitude and continued bouncing during the go-around. This is student pilot stuff. The pilot is not ready to solo.

Last edited:
Which statistics would those be?

The dude came in too fast and tried to force the airplane onto the runway. When it bounced he again tried to force it back down again. As in a textbook porpoise, the bouncing got worse and worse. Then he tried to go-around without pitching toward a climb attitude and continued bouncing during the go-around. This is student pilot stuff. The pilot is not ready to solo.

Research in social psychology and personality suggests that individuals may engage in behaviors such as criticizing others to boost their own self-esteem or to deflect attention away from their own insecurities or shortcomings. For example, a study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology found that individuals with low self-esteem were more likely to engage in derogatory humor directed at others as a means of enhancing their own self-worth. Similarly, research on the "better-than-average effect" shows that people tend to rate themselves as better than others on various traits and abilities, which can lead to feelings of superiority and potentially a tendency to mock or belittle others.

Research in social psychology and personality suggests that individuals may engage in behaviors such as criticizing others to boost their own self-esteem or to deflect attention away from their own insecurities or shortcomings. For example, a study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology found that individuals with low self-esteem were more likely to engage in derogatory humor directed at others as a means of enhancing their own self-worth. Similarly, research on the "better-than-average effect" shows that people tend to rate themselves as better than others on various traits and abilities, which can lead to feelings of superiority and potentially a tendency to mock or belittle others.
Did an AI write that for you? I don't see any landing statistics here.

You’ve must not have been in aviation for very long. As a demographic, we tend to be more on the Type A side of the scale and are brutal on our critiques of fellow pilot’s ability and/or actions. No one here was belittling or conducting personal attacks on the pilot in question. If you feel that we are, I submit your analysis is in error and lacks appreciation for the environment and context of the situation.

You referred to "statistics" you were unable to cite, so you deflected and went off into some kind of psychoanalysis tangent. I'm thinking you did that to feel better and now you're projecting.
Research has statistical analysis. That's all I'm gonna say.

Research has statistical analysis. That's all I'm gonna say.
That’s a non-answer. In other words, you aren’t backing up your supposition which makes your original comment worthless.

Yes, you're a better commentator, better pilot, better driver and in general whatever you do, you do better than the majority.
I never said that. You are making assertions and assumptions with absolutely no data to back it up. You made a crap post got called out and are now resorting to Ad Hominem arguments which is typical of someone whose information is Wikipedia deep. if you’re gonna start lobbing spears you best be prepared to back it up there Chief. Otherwise your posts are worth what we paid for them. Any hack can make a post.

Last edited:
RV nose gears don't take well to that kind of slop in landing proficiency. Got a bit lucky in the phase of the PIO (turf they would have been effed).

All of the RVs I've put offers on in the past 3 years have been flipped. I'm ok with it, but it is a conceded opportunity cost of the design. Putting an oleo strut would be a big ol speed brake. Though puzzling in the first place, as I haven't heard as much negative outcomes in other pole-vault trikes like the AA-xx and Cirri. Granted I've never landed the latter two in turf, so it's difficult to make an apples to apples comparison, given most instances of RVs pole vaulting happen on "unimproved" surfaces. thankfully my "mission" doesn't include landing off-pavement (well, other than when cERtiFiEd engines fail me inflight.... :rofl: ) , so I can self-limit much of the risk within my use case.
The warrior video shown doesn't help the oleo argument.

Looks to me like they came in too fast. Maybe applied to much of a safety gust factor and the wind wasn't there? Don't know, but my -9A sits down pretty easily if you come in at the right speed.

As a demographic, we tend to be more on the Type A side of the scale and are brutal on our critiques of fellow pilot’s ability and/or actions
Well I'm type B so take that!!

Just a question on the original video about the strobes. It looks like there is a pattern to the strobes. Three quick succession then a couple of single flashes. Is there a reason for this or not?

Well I'm type B so take that!!

Just a question on the original video about the strobes. It looks like there is a pattern to the strobes. Three quick succession then a couple of single flashes. Is there a reason for this or not?
We'll I did say "tend" ;) Those aren't strobes in the video and there's no special reason for the pattern per se. They are dual landing lights that are setup to "wig-wag" which in E-ABs can be done a variety of ways depending on the installed equipment. The goal is to make the plane more visible, especially in the airport environment and is quite common in the RV world and many other makes as well.

Back