WTF GEICO??

I have never understood the scam of a "no fault " state law including uninsured motorist coverage...

At face value.. you buy a policy in a "no Fault" state, you get hit by a uninsured illegal alien... Your " no fault" pays for your damage and losses...

If the other guy is uninsured... he is siht out of luck.....:confused::confused:..

What is the need to pay for the dead beat..:dunno:

When "no-fault" came about here, Insurers met the requirement of the law which was to cover at no-fault claims from covered motorists.

"Uninsured Motorists" were never covered. Nor are "underinsured" which gets more complex.

Basically the government tells everyone they must have "no-fault" coverage and then they leave the loophole that an uninsured motorist isn't covered by either side.

Nothing really changed here in the long run, other than nobody truly investigating fault.

Prices are higher, coverage is less. The only way to make profit off of mandatory insurance.

I've had State Farm for more years than I can count. Wife totaled a car several years ago and I've had some tickets along the way. They still insure us and premiums have never suddenly increased.

I've been with State Farm since I bought my first motorcycle in 1970.

David, I am an old EMR doc from the misty days of yore - even before seat belts - I speak motorcycle fluently.
The EMT's as they delivered the body usually intoned, "well, he was dead right'
The thing I noticed is that mostly he was just dead.
Yeah, the driver is often holding a traffic citation and a court date - so that makes it all better?
Ride what you want bud, no skin off my .. .. ...

The orthopedic surgeon who put us back together after an idiot ran a stop sign and hit our motorcycle broadside back in 1973 call them "murdercycles", too. He, obviously, wasn't a fan. When there is an argument between a car and a motorcycle, the car wins. Doesn't matter who is right, the car wins. Law of gross tonnage. Oh, and people who ride without helmets should have their heads examined while they still have one to examine. In high school and college I knew 4 people who needed helmets (my wife and I included). 3 had them and are alive today. One did not and he died at the scene.

Don't get me started about laws requiring insurance. I'd love to see them enforced. I got rear ended last year on my way to work by a guy who was following too closely when I had to slow down (stop) for traffic in front of me on the freeway. He gave his "insurance" information to the state patrol officer, who forwarded it to me. I called his insurance company to file a claim and the policy had been cancelled a year earlier. Gee, insurance is mandatory in Washington, and he lied to a state patrol officer. Why isn't he in jail (or at least the recipient of a ticket)? State Farm still hasn't been able to get my deductible out of him. Now that I'm retired and have time, I'm tempted to see if they still have his contact information and sue him in small claims court. Probably won't get anything, but if I can mess with his credit rating...

. . . .

I'm a happy lifelong USAA member, ever since I got my learners permit in 1978. Sometimes their homeowners rates can be edged out, but I've never had anyone come close on the car. The rates can be beat, but show them your current policy with coverages, deductibles, exclusions, etc. I even called Geico once, their rates was $10-15 higher per 6 months. And USAA had no problem with my single self having two cars.

I never said that USAA wouldn't insure a single driver with multiple cars. They will. But in my experience, their rates in that situation have been a lot higher than what other quality insurers have quoted. When I priced insurance while I was in that situation, USAA was only a few dollars a month less than Erie, Amica, or Farmers. But with only one car, USAA's premium is roughly half of those other companies' quotes. And if the policy is configured so one car has only liability insurance, the other quality companies can actually beat USAA on premiums.

But that's only in my own experience, and only here where I live. I've never been able to make sense of the different actuarial approaches used by different insurers in evaluating any given driver and situation. One would think that the data sets are sufficiently established that they'd all come to pretty much the same conclusions based on that data. But apparently one would be wrong. Different companies seem to draw very different conclusions from the same data. Factor in regional differences within the same company and it's even more befuddling.

I have never understood the scam of a "no fault " state law including uninsured motorist coverage...

At face value.. you buy a policy in a "no Fault" state, you get hit by a uninsured illegal alien... Your " no fault" pays for your damage and losses...

If the other guy is uninsured... he is siht out of luck.....:confused::confused:..

What is the need to pay for the dead beat..:dunno:

I have mixed feelings about no-fault. In theory it's supposed to eliminate the lawsuits for most, but not all injury claims (there is a "qualitative threshold" in New York that does allow lawsuits for some injuries) and speed payments for those claims. The problem is that it also seems to increase base premiums overall, especially for drivers with clean driving records.

But then again, because it's mandatory here, there's no good basis for comparison. Maybe the base rates would be even higher if we didn't have no-fault because of the added investigative and litigation costs. Last I heard, there was no shortage of lawyers in New York; and where there are lawyers, there are lawsuits. So it's hard to say.

As for "Uninsured and Under-Insured Motorist" coverage, my understanding is that a basic version is mandated by the state, but that there is another more generous version that is optional. I take the optional one which in my case has limits of $500,000 per person / $1,000,000 per accident. It costs something like $40.00 for six months, but it's actually less than that because the mandatory version that it replaces would cost something like $15.00 or so.

My reason for taking the optional rider is that a friend of mine who is a deputy sheriff told me that we have a huge problem with kids (and the occasional adult) driving uninsured (and usually unregistered) ATVs, motorbikes, go-karts, farm vehicles outside their legal uses, and so forth, as well as "junior drivers" operating outside their legal restrictions (usually time of day limitations), in my county. He also told me that UI coverage comes into play somehow if the other driver is DUI, although I forget exactly how that works.

Whatever the case, for the small additional cost, the enhanced rider seems worth it.

Rich

When I priced insurance while I was in that situation, USAA was only a few dollars a month less than Erie, Amica, or Farmers. But with only one car, USAA's premium is roughly half of those other companies' quotes. And if the policy is configured so one car has only liability insurance, the other quality companies can actually beat USAA on premiums.

Do you factor in your yearly SSA check from USAA when comparing rates?

Do you factor in your yearly SSA check from USAA when comparing rates?

Not really. I probably should. Amica Mutual also pays a dividend every year. That complicates comparison of their premiums, too.

The premiums are only one factor I look at, however, and they're not the most important one. I value the opinions of local collision shops more than anything else. They deal with insurance companies all the time. The companies that make them smile are the only ones I consider. USAA makes them smile very broadly indeed. (Geico, on the other hand, makes them scowl, spit on the ground, and utter profanities of the vilest sort.)

I am especially interested in how quickly and with how little fuss and bickering the different companies handle car-versus-wildlife strikes. Statistically speaking, given where I live and my driving habits, I'm more likely to be involved in a deer, bear, or turkey strike than any other sort of accident. USAA and the other companies I mentioned as the body guys' favorites all get high grades for that specific loss.

Rich

Nobody cares if you are offended or not. Should I modify my behavior to not accidentally offend you? Sorry, that thought offends me!

I think what you actually meant was nobody cares about any one else but themselves.

Don't wanna offend any one any more. No longer posting in this thread.

I am especially interested in how quickly and with how little fuss and bickering the different companies handle car-versus-wildlife strikes. Statistically speaking, given where I live and my driving habits, I'm more likely to be involved in a deer, bear, or turkey strike than any other sort of accident. USAA and the other companies I mentioned as the body guys' favorites all get high grades for that specific loss.

Rich

My insurer specifically wrote wildlife out of "collision" coverage. If one maintains "comprehensive" coverage, they treat it like any other accident. This goes for "collisions" with inanimate stationary objects, too, and my highest risk by far is putting a vehicle in a county road ditch, or hitting a deer, or both. Medical claims from same are also not necessarily covered.

Thus, "comprehensive" for me, even on old-assed vehicles. Mostly because I don't want to hassle with the repair shop and haggle and it's not that much more expensive. I also add the windshield rider, and this is the first year in quite a while that a rock hasn't taken out a windshield on at least one of the vehicles.

Hmm. I take that back. Karen's truck has a crack but she won't take it and get it fixed or call the mobile place to come do it at her work. Shrug.

My insurer specifically wrote wildlife out of "collision" coverage. If one maintains "comprehensive" coverage, they treat it like any other accident. This goes for "collisions" with inanimate stationary objects, too, and my highest risk by far is putting a vehicle in a county road ditch, or hitting a deer, or both. Medical claims from same are also not necessarily covered.

Thus, "comprehensive" for me, even on old-assed vehicles. Mostly because I don't want to hassle with the repair shop and haggle and it's not that much more expensive. I also add the windshield rider, and this is the first year in quite a while that a rock hasn't taken out a windshield on at least one of the vehicles.

Hmm. I take that back. Karen's truck has a crack but she won't take it and get it fixed or call the mobile place to come do it at her work. Shrug.
Impact with animals is under Comprehensive as industry standard. However, it would be highly unusual for impact with stationary objects to be under Comprehensive. I'd double check your policy.

Comprehensive isn't insurance. It is an investment that pays back multiple times. I'm surprised State Farm even allows it on Jeep Wranglers. That flat, almost vertical, expanse of glass is a rock magnet. :yes:

Back