'Wrong Way' Corrigan

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
I'm sure many of you are aware of this story, but I had never heard of him until I came across "The History Guy"'s Youtube video about him. Well worth your 10 minutes if you've never heard of him. I did find a thread from a year or so ago about his plane going to a museum. Has anyone heard any updates about that?

As mentioned in the video linked by the OP, there was a movie made about his flight the following year, called The Flying Irishman." Here's the IMDB entry on it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031325/

Last edited:
He also signed the back of this spinner with all the other workers from some obscure plane, 10 down on the left.

View attachment 88552

This is actually the spinner for the Spirit of Saint Louis.

Douglas Corrigan was one of the builders of the Spirit of Saint Louis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Corrigan

A good friend of mine is a relative of Hawley Bowlus who was the "Superintendent of Construction" on the Spirit of Saint Louis.

About 10 years ago or so I was invited over view some old movies that this relatives family had found. Many of the movies were of Charles and Anne Lindbergh flying Hawley Designed Gliders.

IIRC the the movies were found by the daughter of Hawley Bowlus. She also told us the story of how as kids they liked to play in their dads shop. They really liked playing with the Acetylene torch sparker.
The other thing they remember playing with was a large metal bowl. Her and her sibling would each get in this bowl and then other would spin them around in it. When they found the Movies the also found this Bowl and noted the names in it and determined it was the original spinner for the Spirit of St. Louis. They said they were going to donate it to the Smithsonian which they obviously did.

Brian

I'm guessing, but given the pre nazi time period the Spirit of St Louis was from, that inner symbol isn't a Nazi swastika, but a good luck symbol that was around for hundreds of years. (Which the nazi's appropriated when they later came to power).

I'm guessing, but given the pre nazi time period the Spirit of St Louis was from, that inner symbol isn't a Nazi swastika, but a good luck symbol that was around for hundreds of years. (Which the nazi's appropriated when they later came to power).

Correct. It's a symbol of divinity in many of the religions of India. It was also the symbol of the 45th Infantry Division until 1939 due to the symbols use by the Nazi's.

It was also used by the Navajo. They also used a symbol that looked similar to the swastika, but it was called a rolling or whirling log. The whirling log represents humanity and life and is still used for healing in hundreds of Navajo ceremonies The federal Government asked the Navajo to temporarily stop using the symbol during WWII. If a person asks about it, the Navajo will not talk to you about it.

https://apnews.com/6ed35e0b1d734190...o-symbols-on-art-often-confused-for-swastikas

Just wondering.... How would Wrong way Corrigan handle a stadium TFR? :confused:

Last edited:
“Bless your heart” translates from Southern to Yankee as “He’s a bit slow there Sparky”. Not sure what warranted that ?

Whatever

Thank you for posting. All good -

Well, bless your (nevermind). You're a good sport.

PS: cool-looking dog in your avitar...a shepherd?

Probably a shepherd. Just a spiffy avatar I pulled off the web. Need to change it up to get some variety.

Back