Wrong Iowa Airport

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
When Democrat Barack Obama's charter plane touched down Tuesday night, aides were surprised a car wasn't waiting to rush him to that night's campaign events. Someone stepped onto the tarmac and quickly realized why: They had landed at the wrong airport.
Instead of going to Cedar Rapids, the plane had touched down about 100 miles to the west in Des Moines.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20071107/obama-wrong-airport/

They should have hired Tony to fly, I'll be he knows his way around Iowa airports.

we coulda landed in the field right next to the speech, screw airports!

How the HE-double-hockey-sticks do you "mistakenly" land a JET at the wrong CLASS C airport??? :dunno:

Well, ya file to the wrong place. I'm sure they were exactly where they mistakenly intended to be.

Kinda reminds me of when I was working at an airport in MIlwaukee, and had several folks show up looking for their charter jet at 5 AM. Turned out the jet had gone to PAlwaukee. By the time they got up to MIlwaukee, the pax were going to be too late for the meeting they were going to anyway and ended up cancelling. Oops. I hope they hadn't been sold too hard on the advantages of GA travel. :rolleyes:

i suspect that dispatch just plain ole sent them to the wrong place.

i suspect that dispatch just plain ole sent them to the wrong place.

The campaign sent them to the wrong place. You know that all flatland beyond Chicago looks the same to ... nevermind ...Obama's campaign manager is from Chicago.

right, and its not like there is more than one big town in iowa right?

It sounds like a... reasonable mistake. Sure, it could happen.

I just hope that pilot is no longer an active CFII!

i would be very very surprised if the source of the problem hand the word pilot in their title

i would be very very surprised if the source of the problem hand the word pilot in their title
Not unlikely. The pilots on those gigs are usually along for the ride. They are told were the passenger needs to go and they make the plans. For the pilot's sake, I hope instructions were given in writing so he or she isn't made the scapegoat.

The pilots on those gigs are usually along for the ride. They are told were the passenger needs to go and they make the plans.
What usually happens is the whoever is arranging the passengers' travel calls the pilots' company to make arrangements. The company then tells the pilots where they are supposed to go. Miscommunication happens, especially when plans change frequently and rapidly and many people are involved on both sides.

Maybe they were lost, saw a runway, and landed to see where they were. I've done that before. There's nothing wrong with that.

As best I can tell, this story originated with AP. Not one source indicates what model airplane it is.

I saw an article in the NYT i believe that said it was a Gulfstream II. Quite possibly couldve been the one that was in Ames for the Midwest Fly In (and some other reason i suppose)

What usually happens is the whoever is arranging the passengers' travel calls the pilots' company to make arrangements. The company then tells the pilots where they are supposed to go. Miscommunication happens, especially when plans change frequently and rapidly and many people are involved on both sides.

Mari anything to confess? :p

We had a guy get off in Augusta (Maine) last week, very surprised at how cold Augusta is...and how fast we got our turbo-prop from Boston to Georgia. Not as funny as this, but still made us laugh.

reminds me of tommy boy.

'these are 2 day shipping because they go to columbus georgia, not ohio. you see these little letters after the cities? those are called STATES. do you need 7 more years of college to figure that out boy wonder?'

We had a guy get off in Augusta (Maine) last week, very surprised at how cold Augusta is...and how fast we got our turbo-prop from Boston to Georgia. Not as funny as this, but still made us laugh.

Just try and show him a Maine peach lol

Ya, I spent all summer flying to MVY. One of our big mx bases (and a crew base) is in HYA, so we're there quite a bit, too. The HYA plane services Nantucket, but I've only been there once so far. Nothing beats the "scenery" on the Cape in the summer!

Ya, I spent all summer flying to MVY. One of our big mx bases (and a crew base) is in HYA, so we're there quite a bit, too. The HYA plane services Nantucket, but I've only been there once so far. Nothing beats the "scenery" on the Cape in the summer!

Well if you know you'll be in the area with time to kill make sure you contact me.

Well if you know you'll be in the area with time to kill make sure you contact me.

Absolutely! Unfortunately, most of our stops there are either unplanned (Oh ****, something broke) or extremely short (ah ****, we have to ferry out and back when we're done tonight to get a new plane). If I know ahead of time (or end up getting stuck there for days on end) I'll do my best to let you know. And if you're ever up in the north country...

reminds me of tommy boy.

'these are 2 day shipping because they go to columbus georgia, not ohio. you see these little letters after the cities? those are called STATES. do you need 7 more years of college to figure that out boy wonder?'

And before that Archie Bunker was passed up for the Christmas bonus because he shipped to London, England when it was supposed to go to London, Ontario. ( I guess you're supposed to believe that he made up the rest of the address. It would seem to me if you had the street address you also would have the city, province and postal code. :dunno: Jeeze Edith, am I analyzing an "All in the Family" plot?)

Was Teddy ever just a tad too wasted and accidently land at Nantucket... gave up and just said...

:goofy:

Kenny - that came from a client of Mari's who had her fly him to Nantucket, where he proceeded to rent a car and ask for directions to a town located on the cape. The only problem is they are 2 seperate Islands! :rolleyes:

I was talking to a Continental gate agent in Newark one time who was telling me that there was a little old lady who was connecting through Newark whose inbound flight was delayed (delay at EWR? go figure...). When she got off her plane she told the gate agent that she was heading to Manchester. The gate agent said, "That flight's leaving almost immediately!" and rushed her on board the 757. About three hours into the flight the little old lady pushed her flight attendant call button and asked the stewardess why it was taking so long to get from Newark to Manchester, NH. Turns out that they tossed her on the plane to Manchester, UK! Oops!!!

Could be worse. I've heard a story about a truck driver sitting in a truck stop in Portland, OREGON. Another truck driver comes in and starts asking around for directions to "Wing Dings, Inc." where he is supposed to pick up a load. Nobody in the area had ever heard of the company. When someone finally looked at his paperwork, he was supposed to pick up his load in Portland, MAINE.

Oh well.. Maybe they can hold the load for him.. It's only about a week's drive. :(

Could be worse. I've heard a story about a truck driver sitting in a truck stop in Portland, OREGON. Another truck driver comes in and starts asking around for directions to "Wing Dings, Inc." where he is supposed to pick up a load. Nobody in the area had ever heard of the company. When someone finally looked at his paperwork, he was supposed to pick up his load in Portland, MAINE.

Oh well.. Maybe they can hold the load for him.. It's only about a week's drive. :(

i think i'd cry

I seem to remember (from the early '90's maybe?) some fella in Los Angeles who heard the announcement for the "Oakland" flight, so he got on. Unfortunately for him, the agent had said "Auckland" :eek:

He made all the Late Night talk show rounds.

-Rich

Kenny - that came from a client of Mari's who had her fly him to Nantucket, where he proceeded to rent a car and ask for directions to a town located on the cape. The only problem is they are 2 seperate Islands! :rolleyes:
Ya know... some people look at maps for new areas they wish to explore. :rofl:

I used to turn wrenches for PBA at HYA back in the mid- late 80's. What a great gig. To bad about the airline going down the crapper.

Jason,
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but that avatar looks an awful lot like N97UA, AOPA's "Ultimate Arrow" (www.ultimatearrow.com) from 1997. A friend of mine is the current owner. Do you have an association with the plane?

Jason,
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but that avatar looks an awful lot like N97UA, AOPA's "Ultimate Arrow" (www.ultimatearrow.com) from 1997. A friend of mine is the current owner. Do you have an association with the plane?

No Grant - just love that photo! And it is the AOPA plane. Sort of the anticipation of flight.

Back