Written Test

Michael Gallagher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gallagher80304
Are there weight and balance questions on the Sport certificate exam? Is an E6B worthwhile having for the exam?
I have been using a PPL prep initially, which has these types of questions.

I don’t know….however, the Sporty’s E6B app is exceedingly helpful for all phases of flight regardless of license. It costs almost nothing. The Sporty E6B W&B feature is rudimentary, but workable.

Having said that, I am exceedingly proud of my manual E6B skills. It’s also a “badge” of a pilot, as a straight Morse Key is the “badge” of us HAMS.

I remember having an E6B and being fairly proficient with it but I don't recall having to use it during the test. There may be W&B questions on the test but once you get the hang of doing W&B it's not too difficult.

Speaking of Morse Key ... there was a time when I could muddle my way through enough for General Class but I haven't worked with it in a bunch of years. But to go a bit further OT there is this that I greatly enjoyed at the time:

Yes there will be W&B questions.

Yes, you need an E6B. Buy the Sportys electronic E6B. It’s one of the very few - might be the only one - that is allowed in the written test.

In addition, get the Sportys written test course. (I used Gleim because I like book style learning vs video)

Last edited:
Yes, there are W&B questions in the Sport Pilot pool. You will probably get one or two.

Check with the testing center. The computerized test I took had a built-in E6B for the test taker to use.

You can’t take in any device with a memory. Sporty’s electronic E6B is okay, but an E6B app on your phone is not.

Yes there will be W&B questions.

Yes, you need an E6B. Buy the Sportys electronic E6B. It’s one of the very few - might be the only one - that is allowed in the written test.

In addition, get the Sportys written test course. (I used Gleim because I like book style learning vs video)

The ASA CX-3 is also allowed.

I got the Sporty's electronic E6B when I was working on the instrument rating. After not using it even once after the checkride, I sold it about 10 years later :D

If your wondering what’s going to be on the exam, make sure you use a course like Sheppard air to prep before you take the test, They don’t have all the exact questions but questions similar, you will need to know how to work through them, rote memory will not get you through it.

w&b. Yes.

If your wondering what’s going to be on the exam, make sure you use a course like Sheppard air to prep before you take the test, They don’t have all the exact questions but questions similar, you will need to know how to work through them, rote memory will not get you through it.

w&b. Yes.
SheppardAir not available for Private or Sport.

I got the Sporty's electronic E6B when I was working on the instrument rating. After not using it even once after the checkride, I sold it about 10 years later :D
I can see that. When I got my instrument I had no need for it. But I used it a lot for my Sport and PPL writtens, and preparing for the upcoming Commercial written.

I can see that. When I got my instrument I had no need for it. But I used it a lot for my Sport and PPL writtens, and preparing for the upcoming Commercial written.
It was very helpful for the knowledge test, but it was also back when the knowledge test was indeed "written" - no computer except the one that read the black circles on the answer sheet. Now the test is on a computer with an available calculator. I took the commercial, CFI and CFII knowledge tests without it.

Nice! For me, I need to do the exercises and practice tests to get ready, and that means using the calculator.

BTW - I did at one point in my life figure out how to use that wheel thing. Then my cheap side subsided and I spent - gasp - $80 for the Sportys.

SheppardAir not available for Private or Sport.
Ok, I hadn’t realized it wasn’t, that’s good info

he should at least go through a gleim or Asa test prep book then

Reactions: WDD
I used the ASA book, but I also used Sporty's "Study Buddy" app. It covers Sport and Private and I thought it did a good job.

I also used the ASA Test Prep book. I thought it was very thorough and I also liked the way it explains why the correct answer is, well, correct - and why the other choices are not. The online trial tests are very close the official one I took. An added bonus is that you can get an endorsement to take the test through their program. Pass two tests at better than 80% and they will email the endorsement.

Back