Written Test - How did you know?

VJ1222

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Capt. VJ
I'm in the mid - to - final stages of getting ready to take my written and, unlike other exams that you prep for - I've found the Private written to be quite different in that you really can't prep for EVERYTHING that they may ask you.

Now, I have spent the money on books, videos, online practice exams and have watched a variety of youtube videos. However, unlike all of the other exams I've prepped for, I never feel like I know enough and feel that I should register as I have with other exams.

My question to those who remember taking the written - How did you know you were ready???

Thanks in advance for your input,
Capt. VJ

Take two random sample tests, 60 current questions. If you make an 80 or better on both you're ready. Although I am an advocate of trying to get the best score you possibly can. With that in mind, I'd recommend that you study until you can pass a practice test with 90 or better.

Pretty simple. I downloaded ASA Private Pilot Written Exam Prep, went over each section once(approximately 600 questions). I made sure I understood the answers and then when I made 90+ on 3 consecutive final exams, I knew I was ready. I didn't touch the material for 2 days prior to test day and went a took my test. It turned out not to be half as bad as I made it out to be. Passed with flying colors..

Well, since you spent all that money on all that stuff, did you read the free publications from the FAA? The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge is a good one, many test question come from there.

If you went through all that stuff you list, have actually exposed yourself to all the material (as opposed to buying it and glancing at t a couple of times) and have run through practice tests and have scored better than 85 twice in a row, you will pass the test no worries

I did a traditional PP ground school back in 1981. It was the standard Jeppesen course (which I'm not fond of) but I'd work through all the exams. These exams were NOT mimics of the actual private test but Jepp's own survey material designed to make sure you knew the covered information. I went over the GADO and got a 93, so I guess it was good enough.

On my Instrument Written the first time around I did a ground school which again used the Jepp books. I was really uncertain if I'd pass with that. Later on I did the King video tapes and their simulation of the test software. I got a 94 on that one. For everything else I've used Gleim and never got below 90.

Just ran over the online questions. They are the exact same as the actual so stuff like sectional questions or weight and balance you can recall it on the exam. If you can score a passing grade on the online stuff you'll pass the actual.

I am a proponent of the sporty's study buddy. for 9 bucks, you can test yourself in the areas you know you are weak.

After taking the test and waiting, I sat there thinking "Well, I may have made a 60 and I may have made a 100"

You never know how ready you were until you get the results.
But IMO the test is not that hard (easy to say after the fact I know. I was scared going into it).

If you are studying and taking practice tests and passing, you should do fine on the written.

I took a Saturday-Sunday test prep class and then took the test Sunday afternoon. I was not confident that I would pass, but got a 93. The test prep instructor had sorted and organized the questions and came up with 100. He said that if you got those 100 right, because of duplication and commonality, you would pass the test.

That was 5 years ago. Not sure how much has changed.

I used ASA’s study guide.
I approached one section at a time and when I could consistently score 90% I moved to the next one.
I have had a traumatic brain injury and am in the ninth percentile for unrelated short term memory so if I can pass anyone can pass with a little effort.
I did the same for my commercial knowledge test.
You only need 70% to pass.
I feel actually knowing the information has value so I went back and brushed up on the things I was weak on.

I used ground school, a lot of FAA material (not the best since it's frequently outdated), used some free online material and I think purchased an iphone quiz app. When I was making 80-90 on the quiz app, I took the test.

I honestly don't remember what I made. I passed. I know that I still don't know how to use a movable card ADF, but I think that's OK because I've never seen one. The print weather charts are interesting, but I've never used them and probably never will.

Just joined a half hour ago, posted my first question, and got 9 different responses. You guys are great. Thank you all for your input.

FYI - I'm using the Gleim online study exams and find it to be rather intuitive. Will keep you posted!

Just joined a half hour ago, posted my first question, and got 9 different responses. You guys are great. Thank you all for your input.

FYI - I'm using the Gleim online study exams and find it to be rather intuitive. Will keep you posted!

I started with Gleim as well. I was well prepared.
I am using t for my IR now too even though it is pretty dry.

Another vote for Michael Hayes' ASA guide. It is a 200 pages pocket format booklet and it was quite sufficient for me in 2011. IIRC it was something like $35.

Take two random sample tests, 60 current questions. If you make an 80 or better on both you're ready. Although I am an advocate of trying to get the best score you possibly can. With that in mind, I'd recommend that you study until you can pass a practice test with 90 or better.

That is exactly what I tell my students.

ONE NOTE, be sure you're using a program that UPDATES and thst you have updated the the latest question bank.

Using this method, I've never had a student fail a written and I've had quite a few students.

You're going to flame me for this, but I just read a textbook (might've looked at a couple videos too) and then took the test. Sorry, it was actually one of the easier exams I've taken in my time. The ones on organic chemistry were way more difficult.

That said, using the question banks is the best form of study possible. You read the question and try and answer it. You are either a) certain about it and go on to the next question or b) uncertain about it and go back to your study materials to determine the correct answer. You keep doing this until you are certain about 80% of the questions and then go take the test.

You're going to flame me for this, but I just read a textbook (might've looked at a couple videos too) and then took the test. Sorry, it was actually one of the easier exams I've taken in my time. The ones on organic chemistry were way more difficult.

That said, using the question banks is the best form of study possible. You read the question and try and answer it. You are either a) certain about it and go on to the next question or b) uncertain about it and go back to your study materials to determine the correct answer. You keep doing this until you are certain about 80% of the questions and then go take the test.

This is what I always liked about the Gliem books, cover half the page, answer questions, uncertain uncover not only "B" but also the reference material and explanation. That made it very time efficient way to work it.

I read through the Gleim book I think 3 times when I was in high school working checking badges at a tennis court. Sat there 99% of the time doing nothing.

At that point, I could pick the right answer without even looking at the question. Got a 100% on the written. Yes, I properly learned all the typical written stuff before this too.

many paths

There are many paths to the promised land of the written exam, and there are no magic video products nor books. You simply need a solid source of applicable information and be prepared to keep your rear in the chair for as long as it takes to understand the materials that you've gathered. Try your best to do well!!

Timelines will also vary depending on the competing demands in your life and your inherent aptitudes and levels of motivation. Each of us has a different story, but the outcomes are overwhelmingly positive. Of those who may have had setback, I suspect that most have bounced back.

I had some special geographic hurdles to overcome. So, I enrolled in Write-Stuff's online course in early March of last year. I covered most of the material during that month but had a difficult time following up until May. But, I was able to hit it hard again and complete the course within a couple of weeks. Instructors were readily accessible by e-mail (sometimes even late at night!) to handle problems or satisfy curiosities.

Geography then became the real enemy, as I wasn't able to make it to the US to write the FAA exam until early July, but I managed to invest enough effort in the interim to keep things fresh.

Something important that tends to go unnoticed, unheralded and understated is that good preparation for the written exam also has the potential to pay great dividends for the oral part of the checkride.

Sheppard Air...

http://www.sheppardair.com/private.htm

Hands down the best test prep software available...especially for comm/inst/ATP

The only problem with Sheppard Air is that it runs only on one desktop computer.

Hypothetically speaking, I could be studying for the FOI test I want to take right now, if, hypothetically, it was a slow day at work. If Sheppard was to move their product into the 20th century it would be a web app and I could be (hypothetically of course) studying right now.

In the purely hypothetical case that was at work right now. Which of course I'm not. Hypothetically.

If you need a tablet version, I know the King programs are good running in tablets.

I have used the gliem books all the way to the ATP test. If your scoring in the eighties your ready.

If you need a tablet version, I know the King programs are good running in tablets.

Yeah, I actually loaded the King's IFR course materials on my iphone, and listened to them in my car using one of those Bluetooth/FM broadcast units on the way to work and back when I was getting ready for my written test. It worked pretty well.

How did you know you were ready???
I can't really remember back that far -- the only written I've taken since 1972 was my ATP, and even that was several decades ago and immediately after a weekend cram course. However...

When I took over the aviation program at the university in 2000, the written test failure rate had been running around 50%. I instituted a rule that nobody got the endorsement until they had made 85% on three full 60-question practice tests in a row. The failure rate dropped to about 2% for the remainder of my five years there.

Does that help?

When I took the written back in the late 80s I took one of those weekend courses that were held at a local hotels at the time. Guaranteed to pass or your money back kinda thing. I just looked at the old reciept it cost $195. At that time they gave you a book with all of the questions in the pool. Then they taught all the sections.

Since I am not a great test taker (but have a good short term memory)for me it makes sense to approach learning the material and passing the tests separately. I learn the material because I want to know it and I just generally like learning new things but my strategy for the actual test was I went through the test pool and circled only the correct answer. I then would for hours read each question and only the correct answer. When I took the test only the correct answer looked right. I think I missed 2 questions.

ETA: If you use this method beware the questions with similar answers that are exactly the same except they throw the work NOT in.

I'm in the mid - to - final stages of getting ready to take my written and, unlike other exams that you prep for - I've found the Private written to be quite different in that you really can't prep for EVERYTHING that they may ask you.

Now, I have spent the money on books, videos, online practice exams and have watched a variety of youtube videos. However, unlike all of the other exams I've prepped for, I never feel like I know enough and feel that I should register as I have with other exams.

My question to those who remember taking the written - How did you know you were ready???

Thanks in advance for your input,
Capt. VJ

When my CFI could no longer ask me questions I didn't know the answers to.

I just took my written last week. I used the Gliem book and Sporty's Study app. Gliem can be had from Amazon for ~$20, and the app I believe was ~$10. I completed the Gliem book cover to cover. Then used Sporty's to take additional practice tests. When I began scoring in the high 80's to low 90's, I scheduled my test. Scored a 93.

Yeah, I actually loaded the King's IFR course materials on my iphone, and listened to them in my car using one of those Bluetooth/FM broadcast units on the way to work and back when I was getting ready for my written test. It worked pretty well.

You drive to work listening to Martha?

I find my students will typically get about 5% lower on the actual exam as opposed to taking a practice test in the comfort of their own home. With that said I feel comfortable my students are prepared once they score a few 90's using a good study software like ASA or Gleim. I know ASA updates their material throughout the year to keep up-to-date with changes to the knowledge exams.

For my PPL I waited till I had 3 scores above 85 - but only scored 77.. On my IFR I did the Shepard Air route - and followed their guidelines - but once I scored 90 on the Shepard Test - I took the real one and scored high 90s.

Sheppard Air...

http://www.sheppardair.com/private.htm

Hands down the best test prep software available...especially for comm/inst/ATP

Clearly you didn't read the site you linked to, did you? :)

Sheppardair doesn't offer test prep for the Private knowledge test.

Good thing they don't: IMHO the sheppard Air rote memorization method is great for the ATP, but a terrible idea for the private or instrument, where you really need to learn the material. Apparently Sheppard Air agrees with me, at least on the private knowledge test anyway.

The only problem with Sheppard Air is that it runs only on one desktop computer.

Hypothetically speaking, I could be studying for the FOI test I want to take right now, if, hypothetically, it was a slow day at work. If Sheppard was to move their product into the 20th century it would be a web app and I could be (hypothetically of course) studying right now.

In the purely hypothetical case that was at work right now. Which of course I'm not. Hypothetically.

Sheppard has an app for iPhone/iPad...nothing for Android that I've found yet, although you could just download it to the phone's browser.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flight-test-5/id595077417?mt=8

Hypothetically, of course.

And a moot point for the OP at this point.

Clearly you didn't read the site you linked to, did you? :)

Sheppardair doesn't offer test prep for the Private knowledge test.

Good thing they don't: IMHO the sheppard Air rote memorization method is great for the ATP, but a terrible idea for the private or instrument, where you really need to learn the material. Apparently Sheppard Air agrees with me, at least on the private knowledge test anyway.

And a moot point for the OP at this point.

I agree. I got my written out of the way and then learned how to fly IFR.. However, the way I understand it - alot of the questions I took last year are no longer relevant and are no longer on the test.....

I agree. I got my written out of the way and then learned how to fly IFR.. However, the way I understand it - alot of the questions I took last year are no longer relevant and are no longer on the test.....

The questions themselves may not be relevant, but the information used to derive the answers is still fully valid. That's why it's better to learn the information than the test.

The FAA has been doing a great job as of late working with external stake holders to identify questions that may no longer be relevant or considered tricky and removing such questions from the knowledge test. Here is a snipit from an FAA FAQ and this is exactly why you should not use companies that promote rote learning or memorization of the questions.

Why did the FAA knowledge test include so many questions I had never seen before?
The FAA makes every effort to maintain the integrity and security of actual knowledge test
questions through regular review and revision of the test question item bank. We have
recently intensified this review and revision process, so it is increasingly unlikely that
applicants will see an exact match between sample questions and actual test questions.
The FAA does not publish actual knowledge test questions, in part because at least two
independent studies indicate that publication of active questions could negatively affect
learning and understanding, as well as undermine the validity of the knowledge test as an
assessment tool.

The agency does provide sample knowledge tests on the FAA website. The questions in these
sample tests are intended to help applicants understand the scope and type of knowledge
that will be tested to qualify for the target certificate or rating. The goal is for applicants to
devote their efforts to mastering the fundamental aeronautical knowledge necessary for safe
operations in the National Airspace System (NAS) rather than to memorizing specific
questions and answers.

The questions that you may have seen and studied in commercially-available materials have
been developed by test preparation providers for similar reasons – that is, to enable
applicants to study concepts and practice calculations specified in the 14 CFR part 61
“aeronautical knowledge” requirements for each airman certificate or rating. These are not,
and should not be represented to be, “real” questions.

In some cases, unscrupulous test preparation providers have sought to obtain actual test
questions by overtly or otherwise encouraging knowledge test takers to share information
about actual questions and possible answers immediately after taking the knowledge test.
The FAA has taken action against such companies, and you should also be aware that an
applicant’s participation in such practices could be a violation of 14 CFR part 61.37
(“Knowledge tests: Cheating or other unauthorized conduct.”) [back]

Lol, I remember do a test prep once and they asked me to debrief them on the questions I had. I told them "$500" "Why should we pay?" "Because you are going to sell that information to the next class and make way more than that off it." They didn't pay, I didn't debrief.

The FAA has been doing a great job as of late working with external stake holders to identify questions that may no longer be relevant or considered tricky and removing such questions from the knowledge test. Here is a snipit from an FAA FAQ and this is exactly why you should not use companies that promote rote learning or memorization of the questions.

What a load of bureacratic bull (not you but the quoted FAA drivel) especially the scare tactic of referencing 61.31.

What a load of bureacratic bull (not you but the quoted FAA drivel) especially the scare tactic of referencing 61.31 (sic 61.37).

Agreed. I don't see how one could ever equate sharing one's personal memory of a question's content as violating a FAR, 61.37, that simply says in relevant part that you cannot "copy" or "intentionally remove" a knowledge test.

Back