Written result affect on Oral

PPL747

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
What affect if any would acing the knowledge test have on the Oral portion of the practical test?
Thanks

Examiner won't have to specifically ask you about the content of the questions missed.

I've always wondered if it can work both ways. For example, if you barely passed, the DPE might really hound you on the sections missed in order to see if you've made an effort to learn the material. On the other hand, do they ever look at the results and think, "Let's see if this guy really knows this stuff." Not saying they do, or don't just wondering.

Just don't be an idiot, like, ahem, me.

"So, do you remember what you missed on the written?"
"Yeah, this one about SIGMET validity periods..."
"So, what are they?"
"Hmm... errmmm.... I don't know..."

So at least try to go through the areas you were weak on.

I missed 1 or 2 on the SPL written and I know he checked my log for the endorsement. I'm fairly certain he didn't see my written exam because the practical was done at KJVL and the written was done months and months earlier at KDPA before I even started flight training. I don't recall him asking me where I took the written when we made the appointment for the practical.

It won’t have any affect.

It may have the effect of not demonstrating English proficiency.

My written had the word PASS on it. Not much else matters.

My CFI did have to review the knowledge areas where I missed questions, and sign my logbook attesting to that review.

I doubt it changed the oral examination from the DPE.

Just don't be an idiot, like, ahem, me.

"So, do you remember what you missed on the written?"
"Yeah, this one about SIGMET validity periods..."
"So, what are they?"
"Hmm... errmmm.... I don't know..."

So at least try to go through the areas you were weak on.
The first 3 lines were identical to my oral. However, my answer was "if it's less than 4 hours after it was issued then it's still valid. If it's more than 4 hours then it's no longer valid. If it's exactly 4 hours then you'll have to ask whoever graded my written"

The first 3 lines were identical to my oral. However, my answer was "if it's less than 4 hours after it was issued then it's still valid. If it's more than 4 hours then it's no longer valid. If it's exactly 4 hours then you'll have to ask whoever graded my written"

Yes. Please know the answer before blurting out the question. Thankfully the rest of the oral went better than that :)

Yes. Please know the answer before blurting out the question. Thankfully the rest of the oral went better than that :)
Thankfully my DPE was OK with my answer and wasn't as worried as the FAA about the exact femtosecond. :)

I missed 1 or 2 on the SPL written and I know he checked my log for the endorsement. I'm fairly certain he didn't see my written exam because the practical was done at KJVL and the written was done months and months earlier at KDPA before I even started flight training. I don't recall him asking me where I took the written when we made the appointment for the practical.
You had to turn in a printed copy of the test result with your application to the DPE.

Not much of a difference, might draw attention if you pass by one or two, or if you get a perfect 100, otherwise meh

Most orals pace is more effected by how organized you are when you meet the DPE and how you do and come off in the first few minutes.

What affect if any would acing the knowledge test have on the Oral portion of the practical test?
Thanks

I got 100% on my written and my oral was a breeze. You can't memorize the questions anymore so they know you studied hard if you get a decent grade.

Just curious, when saying you can't memorize anymore, why is that? What changed?
I'm not looking to memorize i want to know the stuff in order to be a safe pilot, but from you reply it implies that something changed in re to the exam

Just curious, when saying you can't memorize anymore, why is that? What changed?
I'm not looking to memorize i want to know the stuff in order to be a safe pilot, but from you reply it implies that something changed in re to the exam

When things changed from PTS to ACS they quit releasing test questions. Or so I'm told. When I took my commercial written this past summer there was maybe 2 or 3 questions that were relatively close to anything I'd seen on the practice tests.

Sheppard Air still manages to have near-perfect test question databanks. My commercial last year and FOI this year were spot on save for a few on the commercial that were very slightly reworded. 96% and 100% respectively.

The DPE is technically required to ask questions on the oral about the areas you missed.

When things changed from PTS to ACS they quit releasing test questions. Or so I'm told. When I took my commercial written this past summer there was maybe 2 or 3 questions that were relatively close to anything I'd seen on the practice tests.

It was long before the change to ACS. The change occurred sometime before 2000/2001. Prior to that the actual questions and answers were public. The Gleim test prep and others included all of the actual questions, with the answers in their actual ABC positions. It could be as simple as knowing Question 2 was A. The FAA finally saw the flaw in that and decided to change the questions and not publicize it anymore.

As for scoring 100% and its impact, it could make it easier since the examiner doesn't have the questions you missed to cover with you, or depending on the examiner they could see it as a challenge to make sure the 100% wasn't a fluke. Wouldn't worry about it either way. I've had an examiner tell me anything over 70% means you wasted too much time. :p:D

It was long before the change to ACS. The change occurred sometime before 2000/2001. Prior to that the actual questions and answers were public. The Gleim test prep and others included all of the actual questions, with the answers in their actual ABC positions. It could be as simple as knowing Question 2 was A. The FAA finally saw the flaw in that and decided to change the questions and not publicize it anymore.

As for scoring 100% and its impact, it could make it easier since the examiner doesn't have the questions you missed to cover with you, or depending on the examiner they could see it as a challenge to make sure the 100% wasn't a fluke. Wouldn't worry about it either way. I've had an examiner tell me anything over 70% means you wasted too much time. :p:D

Ok I thought the question bank was updated with ACS.

So that examiner would be fine with being just barely good enough to fly the plane too and any better than that would just be a waste of time?

So that examiner would be fine with being just barely good enough to fly the plane too and any better than that would just be a waste of time?

giphy.gif

No, he just realizes the FAA's written tests are poorly written, and are more often learned through rote memorization than any actual level of knowledge. He is about to find out if you can fly the airport.

It used to be the case long before there were internet test preps. Now you can almost memorize the dang test.

Which is zero help on a oral, infact getting a perfect score on the written and being a hot mess in the practical looks even worse.

Personally I'd just get rid of the written all together and just have the practical.

Generally must DPEs have a canned oral they use on all applicants. If you are obviously weak in an area, they can expand their questions for that area and reduce questions on areas they believe you are very knowledgeable.

Don’t plan on walking in stating you got a 100 on the knowledge test and talking about the Red Sox.

As Clip4 stated the DPE must make a plan of action to ensure all the required tasks are tested so orals don't vary much especially not based on written test score.

On another note I know someone that got a 100 on a written and failed the oral (deserved from what I heard).

Sheppard Air still manages to have near-perfect test question databanks. My commercial last year and FOI this year were spot on save for a few on the commercial that were very slightly reworded. 96% and 100% respectively.

My experience is the same. I have taken CAX, FIA and FOI in the last month after using Sheppard. The vast majority of questions were identical, but some were reworded. They were still close enough that I got it right, however. 99% on CAX, 97% on FIA, 96% on FOI. Even though I didn't study for it, I decided to just get AGI while I was there and got a 95% on a test I didn't study for at all. Most of the questions on that one were either the same as FIA, or same concept with different numbers for the scenario.

Got a 73 on my PP written, after the paperwork was done my oral lasted an hour.

Lol was sort of joking but I do think the more you know the better off you are....but you're right....the practical test is where you prove it all.

Back