Written passed - why not?

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
In my current quixotic aviation quest I took and passed my ATP written today. 94% is not my best work, but ok.

The practical (when and if) is an entirely different animal.

BTW the ATP test is MUCH more current than the commercial airplane test. Nada regarding figuring out NDB bearings, times to station and other archaic oddities. Plenty of good GPS questions, relevent HSI/RMI interpretations, FARs that are actualy useful to know, etc.

Your signature says you have 82 hrs, so why take the atp written since it's going to expire in 2 yrs anyway?

Bravo Zulu, Lance! Flying that Jet has helped you set your sights a little higher... in the high flight levels, of course!

Your signature says you have 82 hrs, so why take the atp written since it's going to expire in 2 yrs anyway?

That 82 hours is not Lance's total time. :no:
My guess is, hours in the Mooney this year?

Hours in LJ. :)

That'd be awesome, Lance!

Here's a question for ya...how do you pronounce quixotic? "Qeehotic" or "Quicksotic"?

I don't know if this makes you feel any better but I thought that the ATP Practical was the "easiest" (easy being a relative term obviously) checkride of all. I went out and did about 2 prep flights and then took the ride. I am sure you would nail it. Go for it.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better but I thought that the ATP Practical was the "easiest" (easy being a relative term obviously) checkride of all. I went out and did about 2 prep flights and then took the ride. I am sure you would nail it. Go for it.
Actually, I do appreciate getting a comment like this. My confidence isn't as high as I would like. First, the boss has to agree to this. I'm not/can't gonna pay for a 5 figure check ride. Second, I'm concerned about the "handling" differences of a simulator. Third, I (in my opinion) need more time in type. See, I got a lot of 'cuses.:D:D

That'd be awesome, Lance!

Here's a question for ya...how do you pronounce quixotic? "Qeehotic" or "Quicksotic"?
I say the former; I think the latter. and I don't know which is correct.

Actually, I do appreciate getting a comment like this. My confidence isn't as high as I would like. First, the boss has to agree to this. I'm not/can't gonna pay for a 5 figure check ride. Second, I'm concerned about the "handling" differences of a simulator. Third, I (in my opinion) need more time in type. See, I got a lot of 'cuses.:D:D
Simulators always handle a little different than the actual airplane. From my observation they seem to be more pitch-sensitive.

Since type ratings at sim schools are usually very time-compressed events, especially for someone who has never been to one before, I would suggest studying a number of things in advance, especially the memory items associated with emergency procedures and aircraft limitations. There is also much more of an emphasis on systems in these types of courses. They already expect you to be a decent instrument pilot.

The checkrides are usually pretty standard to include steep turns, stalls, unusual attutudes, coupled ILS, hand flown ILS, non-precision approaches, V1 cut, aborted takeoff, single engine miss, single engine landing, circling approach and probably something I've forgotten. That has been my experience, anyway. The good news is that you are the customer and they will make every effort to train you well enough to pass. They are not trying to wash you out.

I have a number of LR-35 training manuals on CD. I can send you one if you don't have one already.

Not having taken the ATP, I am not sure how anything could be easier than the SES add on. 5 question oral exam, and more time spent flying between the lakes than actually performing any of the required maneuvers.

well my written is tomorrow morning, and checkride is Sept. 3. time to start studying.

Piece of cake. I'm sure you'll blow away my 94. You will absolutely beat me to the practical. Have fun!

i havent had a practice test over mid 80's. and i havent had a ton of time to do a lot of practice tests. tonight will be cram time. anything over 70 is just showing off ;)

i havent had a practice test over mid 80's. and i havent had a ton of time to do a lot of practice tests. tonight will be cram time. anything over 70 is just showing off ;)

Tony, you're almost as good at talking yourself down as I am about talking myself down. The difference is I'm actually a worthless pilot! ;)

passed this morning with an 81. about on par with what i expected.

practical on sept. 3...

That's great Tony. Always a relief to get these things over with. Now on to the real part. Have fun on the third. I wish I had a firm date like that in front of me.

Back