Wrist Surgery and Medical Cert

U

Unregistered

Hi All,

In Feb I had wrist surgery and now that I'm 100% recovered I'm going to renew my certificate. What info if any do I need to provide to the AME during the exam?

The date of the surgery, the kind, the name of the doc who performed it, his address and phone number.

I'm gonna quote part of the post I made in the shoulder thread:

Ask local pilots or flight schools about AMEs in your area and find one that is a real aviation medical examiner, not some occupational medicine hack who's added the AME credential to his title to add a few cash-paying customers to supplement his regular constituency of L&I insurance claims. And read all you can about FAA medical exams and the deferral process. I even read through the AME Guide. Its available online from the FAA for free.

I was deferred on a class III for a simple torn meniscus. After 4 months of being strung along by this "doctor's" staff, I finally (with the help of the AOPA) learned that once he deferred me, he washed his hands of me and it was up to me to figure out what to do from there.

I wrote letters from the primary care doc and the surgeon to the FAA (in the proper format) myself. I carried them to the doctor's offices, ran the gauntlet of office staff and nurses to finally get to each of the doctors in question, and explained to them what the deferral was all about and why the letter I wrote, on their behalf's, was worded the way it was, and got them to agree that the letters accurately reflected the facts. Then I explained to them how I needed them to reproduce those letters on their professional letter head and with their signatures, titles and contact info. I then forwarded those letters plus all the other info required to the proper FAA office (again with the AOPA's help) and waited. Another 2 months and I had my 3rd class medical.

About a month later, I went to a seminar and met an AME who confirmed for me that the AME that Deferred my medical 7 months previously had had no reason to defer me, that a torn meniscus with a prognosis of normal recovery is not a reason for deferral as long as the range of motion and strength has returned to within normal limits.

What info if any do I need to provide to the AME during the exam?

While the folks here and other spots of the interwebz can be helpful, here's a bright novel idea.....

Call the AME and ask him/her.​

I'm not trying to be completely snarky, but if anyone is going to help you complete that checkbox, it would be the one doing the exam.

While the folks here and other spots of the interwebz can be helpful, here's a bright novel idea.....

Call the AME and ask him/her.​

I'm not trying to be completely snarky, but if anyone is going to help you complete that checkbox, it would be the one doing the exam.

That is a valid point. My exam is this afternoon so I guess I'll just go in and talk to him. I am not going to hide it, but I've made a full recovery and it "shouldn't" be a big deal.

Just unwrapped the bandages on Mrs. Steingar. You just report it. Worst case scenario they might ask your doc for a letter saying you recovered OK.

If the OP is worried he should ask the AME (or Dr. Bruce over on the Red Board), but I'd say there's at least a 95% likelihood that this one is "manifest recovery". Worst case, the AME does range of motion tests and makes sure you have full use of your fingers.

I'm not seeing a problem here.

What I fly with on the other hand, required some hoop jumping

I've had surgeries and broke my foot (different incidents), it's never been a big issue on the medical. My doc goes "You got better, right?"

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back