Wright Brothers NOT the First

What do you mean?? They brought the lutefisk with them! :yes:

No, they brought it with them, threw it overboard, and the fish threw it back in the boat. :yes:

I went to college at a Swedish Lutheran school. I hated working in the food service for Swedish night. :hairraise:

Doubtful, It was initially Wright Field, and when Wright Field moved to where WPAFB now is, the land was purchased and dontated from funds that the city raised to keep them in town, with Patterson (owner of NCR) being the main investor. That is how it got its name.

Wright Field didn't move. It was called Wright Field from it's birth, on 12 Oct 1927, until it was consolidated with Patterson Field on 13 Jan 1948 as Wright-Patterson AFB. Wright Field was named to honor both of the Wright brothers.

Patterson Field was established as Wilbur Wright Field on 22 May 1917. It was renamed Patterson Field on 1 Jul 1931 in honor of 1st Lt Frank Stuart Patterson who had been killed on 19 Jun 1918 while testing synchronized machine guns on a DH-4. Lt Patterson was the son and nephew of the co-founders of NCR.

There were a lot of people trying to achieve powered flight, had been for centuries prior to the Wright's flight in 1903. Although there was no internet at the time all of the parties involved, including the Wright Brothers, were well educated in whatever knowledge had been gathered up to that point. They read literally everything that had been published on the subject of manned flight and they corresponded directly with other experimenters. The Wrights were methodical and persistent and developed, with the aid of prior discoveries, the system that eventually got them into the air.

At the time, that's really all that it was about. There wasn't a great race going on to be the first to do it. It was only afterwards that the onus of this stigma of being the first began to have profound effects on all those involved.

The other factor was the Wrights insistence on protecting their very broad patent on lateral control which, in their case, involved wing warping. When the Aerial Experiment Association began their programs in 1907 Alexander Graham Bell, who was one of the founders, suggested the use of ailerons or "flippers" to avoid infringement on the Wright patent but the Wrights pursued litigation anyway which turned into an ugly and lengthy patent war that choked off all aviation development in the United States to the point that at the beginning of WWI there were no American warplanes for American pilots to fly, they were all French and British. A side effect was that the Wrights stuck to wing warping since to use ailerons would have been an admission that someone had come up with something better. Also, since Curtiss was using wheels the Wrights insisted that skids and catapult launch were somehow superior.

In the end it the bitterness is claimed to have caused Wilbur's untimely demise and in part due to the war the government stepped in and put an end to it which ironically ended up with the two major rivals combining into one company.

There are a lot of great books out there to read on both sides of the issue and it's a fascinating subject but I would hope there is not enough bitterness left in anyone alive to drag it all out of the closet again. Let's just let it be as it is and let it go.

It's pretty clear that the more modern historians, and engineers look at Whitehead, the more people are pretty much skeptical that these claims could be true. The more they look at the rights, the more they marvel at how well they had done.

The Wright brothers achieved powered, sustained, controlled, heavier-than-air flight on December 17, 1903. To this day there is no credible evidence that anyone achieved the same feat on an earlier date, including Gustave Whitehead.

Control is the key; the Wrights worked out the physics needed to create a system to control their craft in all three axes. They were not the first to build a powered heavier-than-air machine able to make brief hops aloft, Clement Ader did that in 1890. His craft, the Éole, was not equipped with flight controls.

And neither, apparently, was Whitehead's:
The Bridgeport Herald (August 18, 1901) reported that Whitehead and another man drove to the testing area in the machine, which worked like a car when the wings were folded along its sides. Two other people, including the newspaper reporter, followed on bicycles. For short distances the Number 21's speed was close to thirty miles an hour on the uneven road, and the article said, "there seems no doubt that the machine can reel off forty miles an hour and not exert the engine to its fullest capacity."

The newspaper reported that before attempting to pilot the aircraft, Whitehead successfully test flew it unmanned in the pre-dawn hours, using tether ropes and sandbag ballast. When Whitehead was ready to make a manned flight, the article said: "By this time the light was good. Faint traces of the rising sun began to suggest themselves in the east."

The newspaper reported that trees blocked the way after the flight was in progress, and quoted Whitehead as saying, "I knew that I could not clear them by rising higher, and also that I had no means of steering around them by using the machinery." The article said Whitehead quickly thought of a solution to steer around the trees:

"He simply shifted his weight more to one side than the other. This careened the ship to one side. She turned her nose away from the clump of sprouts when within fifty yards of them and took her course around them as prettily as a yacht on the sea avoids a bar. The ability to control the air ship in this manner appeared to give Whitehead confidence, for he was seen to take time to look at the landscape about him. He looked back and waved his hand exclaiming, 'I've got it at last.'"

This and other reports raise a few questions. Whitehead's craft had two engines; one drove a propeller, the other drove the wheels. Why power the wheels? The craft could have been towed to the test site, once the machine is airborne the second engine is just dead weight. Was the propeller so inefficient as to require driven wheels in order to achieve flying speed? If so, how was sustained flight to be achieved?

Why did he conduct his tests at night? Nights are calm, that's good for testing a fragile aircraft. But nights in 1901 were very dark, unless there were clear skies and moonlight. I don't know what the sky condition was in Bridgeport on August 14, 1901, but the moon was new. His tests would be in almost total darkness.

I would also add that two years after the WB's first flight, they had refined their airplane enough that it performed. It could be taken off, flown all around and landed with some degree of precision.

Yup. In 1905 the Wright's flights were limited only by the capacity of the fuel tank.

No invention comes about fully formed from any one person or group. Everything is an evolution, and ideas are permeated through culture and built upon eachother. It is overly simplistic to talk about any single point in time or single person as being the inventor of something. The best we can do is what some in this thread have mentioned, which is that the Wrights moved powered flight along substantially and to a point where it could finally become realistic.

I think it more accurate to say the Wrights discovered the mechanics of controlled heavier-than-air flight than to say they invented the airplane.

Wilbur Bleriot was the first to fly long distance over water!

Oct 4, 1909
He took off from Governors Island for the 20 mile flight up to Grant's Tomb and back to Governors!

Every time I fly over the Hudson River and past the Statue of Liberty, I can't help but to reflect on his remarkable achievement!
I feel honored to be flying over the same area and route!

This photo is amazing! One of my favorite aviation photos.

9/29/09
Wilbur in the Model-A. Governors Island, orbit the lady and back to the Island--5 mins.
Wilbur_zps01682bad.jpg

He even had a canoe strapped to that baby:)

Last edited:
There's no evidence that the Wrights knew anything about Whitehead.

If he knew both of the Wrights he had to be pretty old by the time he served in WWII, Wilbur Wright died in 1912.

Wheels don't perform very well in sand.

Yes, they don't do well in sand and, not to mention the added weight of wheels. The Wrights knew all these things more than anyone, and got on wheels as quickly as power and technique would allow.

Tell the old geezer to go fly a Wright Flyer full body simulator and then see what he thinks.

So, they DID accomplish the first Powered Canoe Flight!!

Good enough for me.

Yes!

I wonder did they do any actual buoyancy test to make sure it would support the weight? I haven't found anything on it.

Maybe they just did the calculations based on the canoe data and weight of the Flyer.

http://blogs.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/2009/06/flight-over-the-hudson/

New York Times wrote:

“Going far to the rear of the statue, Mr. Wright circled in nearer the goddess on the south side, passing it, as he said afterward, within 25 feet and directly over the breakwater of the island. A seagull, flying past the statue, was overtaken by the man-made flier, and the gull, as if outdone, dipped down far under the big silvery wings above it.”

The Times also reported that after Wright touched down back at Governors Island, the throngs of onlookers “took a long breath and yelled, not with nice dignity, perhaps, but with exultant excitement. Downtown New York had seen its first real aeroplane flight"

Wow! He also almost had the first bird strike:yikes:

Last edited:
Wilbur was the first to fly long distance over water!

Oct 4, 1909
He took off from Governors Island for the 20 mile flight up to Grant's Tomb and back to Governors!
Umm....think Louis Bleriot beat him to that claim crossing the English Channel 29 July 1909.

Yes, they don't do well in sand and, not to mention the added weight of wheels. The Wrights knew all these things more than anyone, and got on wheels as quickly as power and technique would allow.

Actually the Wrights never used wheels until the 1910 Model B. The skids and catapult rail, like wing warping, were things they didn't want to let go of since all of the AEA and Curtiss planes used wheels and ailerons and they didn't want it to look like someone had trumped them with a better idea (even though they had) It was pretty obvious by 1910 that skids and wing warping were impractical.

So, do we rename KFFA to "Second Flight Airport", and change the identifier?
Will the NPS tear down the statue and close the park?
Will the Smithsonian change exhibits?

Actually, I really would like to hear the Smithsonian folks weigh in on the subject. I'm sure that Jane's is just the beginning.

Wilbur was the first to fly long distance over water!

Oct 4, 1909

Every time I fly over the Hudson River and past the Statue of Liberty, I can't help but to reflect on his remarkable achievement!
I feel honored to be flying over the same area and route!

This photo is amazing! One of my favorite aviation photos.

9/29/09
Wilbur in the Model-A. Governors Island, orbit the lady and back to the Island--5 mins.
Wilbur_zps01682bad.jpg

He even had a canoe strapped to that baby:)
Wow, that is a great picture!

Yeah, yeah right. The Wright brothers didn't invent the wind tunnel, or the propellor, or roll control. They just had good PR. Whatever.

You'd be amazed at what a good marketing campaign and lawyers can do.....just look at Lance Armstrong...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow, that is a great picture!

Indeed!

My intro flight in 1998 was from Teterboro airport past the Statue, over to Coney Island and back to TEB. I've flown the route several times since then.

Hadn't seen this picture until about ten years ago and never knew about Wilbur Wright's flight!

The Wright brothers achieved powered, sustained, controlled, heavier-than-air flight on December 17, 1903. To this day there is no credible evidence that anyone achieved the same feat on an earlier date, including Gustave Whitehead.

Control is the key; the Wrights worked out the physics needed to create a system to control their craft in all three axes. They were not the first to build a powered heavier-than-air machine able to make brief hops aloft, Clement Ader did that in 1890. His craft, the Éole, was not equipped with flight controls.

And neither, apparently, was Whitehead's:
The Bridgeport Herald (August 18, 1901) reported that Whitehead and another man drove to the testing area in the machine, which worked like a car when the wings were folded along its sides. Two other people, including the newspaper reporter, followed on bicycles. For short distances the Number 21's speed was close to thirty miles an hour on the uneven road, and the article said, "there seems no doubt that the machine can reel off forty miles an hour and not exert the engine to its fullest capacity."

The newspaper reported that before attempting to pilot the aircraft, Whitehead successfully test flew it unmanned in the pre-dawn hours, using tether ropes and sandbag ballast. When Whitehead was ready to make a manned flight, the article said: "By this time the light was good. Faint traces of the rising sun began to suggest themselves in the east."

The newspaper reported that trees blocked the way after the flight was in progress, and quoted Whitehead as saying, "I knew that I could not clear them by rising higher, and also that I had no means of steering around them by using the machinery." The article said Whitehead quickly thought of a solution to steer around the trees:

"He simply shifted his weight more to one side than the other. This careened the ship to one side. She turned her nose away from the clump of sprouts when within fifty yards of them and took her course around them as prettily as a yacht on the sea avoids a bar. The ability to control the air ship in this manner appeared to give Whitehead confidence, for he was seen to take time to look at the landscape about him. He looked back and waved his hand exclaiming, 'I've got it at last.'"
This and other reports raise a few questions. Whitehead's craft had two engines; one drove a propeller, the other drove the wheels. Why power the wheels? The craft could have been towed to the test site, once the machine is airborne the second engine is just dead weight. Was the propeller so inefficient as to require driven wheels in order to achieve flying speed? If so, how was sustained flight to be achieved?

Why did he conduct his tests at night? Nights are calm, that's good for testing a fragile aircraft. But nights in 1901 were very dark, unless there were clear skies and moonlight. I don't know what the sky condition was in Bridgeport on August 14, 1901, but the moon was new. His tests would be in almost total darkness.
Problem solve, and history remains the same. The Wright Brother's invented the first airplane. Mr Whitehead on the other hand invented the first flying car! No one has to change everything. Civilization as we know it will not end. The Universe is preserved. Now I can sleep tonight.

The first ditching!

http://4thefirsttime.blogspot.com/2008/12/1909-first-airplane-flight-over-english.html

"Blériot had two rivals for the prize, both of whom failed to reach the goal. The first was Hubert Latham, an Englishman residing in France. He was favored by both the United Kingdom and France to win. He had arrived first and attempted to fly across in July of 1909, but six miles from the shore at Dover he developed engine trouble and was forced to make a sea landing."

So Wilbur had something to think about, which probably lead to his decision on the red canoe:yesnod:.

Wright Field didn't move. It was called Wright Field from it's birth, on 12 Oct 1927, until it was consolidated with Patterson Field on 13 Jan 1948 as Wright-Patterson AFB. Wright Field was named to honor both of the Wright brothers.

Patterson Field was established as Wilbur Wright Field on 22 May 1917. It was renamed Patterson Field on 1 Jul 1931 in honor of 1st Lt Frank Stuart Patterson who had been killed on 19 Jun 1918 while testing synchronized machine guns on a DH-4. Lt Patterson was the son and nephew of the co-founders of NCR.

You are correct, I need to go reread my history books, I got it confused with McCook Field that was in Downtown Daytonnand home to the Dayton-Wright Airplane Company, that the gov't wanted to move, thats when patterson and everybody stepped in and bought the land that was Wilbur Wright Field, and moved McCook field facilities to there.

I stand corrected.

The Wright brothers invented modern aviation ie using lawyers to stunt aviations growth.:lol:

And they got several patents on that flying machine too! Damn lawyers. Like hookers and strippers - never need them until you really need them. Or something like that.

And they got several patents on that flying machine too!

....some of which ignored patented prior art and should have never been issued.
Also, the planes we fly today use very few concepts from the wrights patents. Arguably, the entire patent episode was a big distraction that did nothing to develop the fledgling industry.

Arguably, the entire patent episode was a big distraction that did nothing to develop the fledgling industry.
Not only did the Wright patent dispute issues do nothing to develop the industry, it actually set aviation development back in the US prior to WWI as compared to Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This information was being taught in my college aviation history course in 1991. It hasn't caught on much because a whole lot of North Carolina license plates would have to be scrapped. ;)

Not to mention Ohio plates... ("Birthplace of Aviation")

My guess is Jane's hasn't sold a half dozen books since the age of wikipedia and airliners.net and are trying to drum up some PR.

My guess is Jane's hasn't sold a half dozen books since the age of wikipedia and airliners.net and are trying to drum up some PR.
You'd actually be suprised.....the US Military buys Janes books in BULK.

But in case the descendants of the Wright Bros are worried.....we just look at the pictures....we don't read the words and since there is no photo that exists of Whitehead's alleged flight, I'd day the Wright's record is safe.

Last edited:
But in case the descendants of the Wright Bros are worried.....we just look at the pictures....we don't read the words and since there is no photo that exists of Whitehead's alleged flight, I'd day the Wright's record is safe.

Jane's credibility may not be, however.

You'd actually be suprised.....the US Military buys Janes books in BULK.

Why????

If this is true, it will devastate the Wrights....
Seriously? Umm, they're dead. You could have a bonfire torching every piece of paper with their fame written on it and they're NOT going to even bat an eye.

Back