Wrecked starter

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I was to fly the 182 to HXD over the weekend, but the previous pilot wrecked the starter, here is the damage description from our MX officer:

The starter and ring gear blew up on the 182. I mean there was some serious torque involved, not just a burned up motor. As you know the 182 can be a b***h to start hot. We are repairing it tomorrow in the THangar, if you want to stop by. This is the second starter this year. Mechanic's theory is that the starter was engaged with engine running, shearing 9 teeth from the ring gear and breaking off two of the four mounting brackets on the starter. Let's be careful on all planes during the mag check and in flight to not engage the starter at high rpm.

The same pilot also destroyed the ARcher's starter last summer. Grrrrrrr......

Bill Jennings said:

Sounds more like an operator problem. What did he do to the archer to kill it? maybe take him aside and have some remedial engine starting practice for him.

Bill Jennings said:

Is he engaging the starter during the mag checks? Left - both - right - starter? If so, can he be charged for the starter repair since this is his second starter murder? Sounds expensive.

tonycondon said:
Bill

You need to buy an airplane.

Looking...have four decent leads, waiting on electronic copies of the logs for inspection. Then if that works out on any of the four, we travel to look and fly...then get serious.

smigaldi said:
Sounds more like an operator problem. What did he do to the archer to kill it? maybe take him aside and have some remedial engine starting practice for him.

I'm thinking a good ol' fashioned Navy blanket party will wise him up some...

NC Pilot said:
Is he engaging the starter during the mag checks? Left - both - right - starter? Sounds expensive.

Don't know how he did it, but I suspect it was during the mag check. At 2000rpm, that would crunch a starter I beleive.

As for expensive, this particular member knows nothing of the value of money. His father is quite well off, and just writes checks whenever the guy goes flying.

He drives a car to college that most professionals could not afford to drive until later in their careers, etc......

Bill:

Are you targeting Mooneys, or are there other options out there? Let me know if something is in the Dallas area.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Are you targeting Mooneys, or are there other options out there? Let me know if something is in the Dallas area.

Yes, we are pretty much targeting M20J 201's.

Argh... Brings back memories from when I was in a club w/ about 60 people sharing 6 planes. For some reason it seems that there were usually 2-3 people who seemed to have the weird breakdowns only when THEY were in the plane.

Dad and I were fueling up the PA28-180 one day after a fellow member put it away with completely empty tanks. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it worked out that the fuel truck pumped something like 5-7 gallons more than the POH reports as usable. Even if the fuel truck calibration is slightly off, he still came in with WELL below reserves. It just happened that one of the club officers was there so we mentioned the situation to him. If I remember correctly, he turned out to be the same pilot that totalled the same plane last year after trying to go-around with full flaps, stalled it out and slammed into a hangar. In the words of Dr. Bruce -*sigh*.

-Chris

Bill Jennings said:
As for expensive, this particular member knows nothing of the value of money. His father is quite well off, and just writes checks whenever the guy goes flying.

He drives a car to college that most professionals could not afford to drive until later in their careers, etc......
Sounds like a prime canditate for a Cirrus...:D

Apparently the Romanians had the same problem...the starter button on the IAR has a guard over it! B)

NC Pilot said:
Is he engaging the starter during the mag checks? Left - both - right - starter? If so, can he be charged for the starter repair since this is his second starter murder? Sounds expensive.

We had a guy like that in a club I was in, used to make signs for a living.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• restroombehind.bmp
    484.5 KB · Views: 62
Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

For mag check, pull your head out of your arse.

Dave Siciliano said:

Best,

Dave

That was good for an honest LOL!

Dave Siciliano said:

Best,

Dave

Which train station in Tokyo was that? :D :D :D

Which train station in Tokyo was that? :D :D :D

Don't think that was Japan, they usually only have the bad English on T-shirts. That looked like mainland China somewhere to me. Also don't the Japanese use the black on yellow sings while the Chinese use the green/white ones? Boy I travel too much!!!

Back