Wrecked more than one plane

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
How many people know pilots that have wrecked or been involved in a accident that the plane is totaled (this means that the aircraft costs more to fix than it is worth). Not sure how they do that and buy another and wreck it too, does not seem to matter how many you wreck if you have a good story to tell the FAA and the money to buy another aircraft.

How many people know pilots that have wrecked or been involved in a accident that the plane is totaled (this means that the aircraft costs more to fix than it is worth). Not sure how they do that and buy another and wreck it too, does not seem to matter how many you wreck if you have a good story to tell the FAA and the money to buy another aircraft.
I knew a guy who'd crashed three. First one was a Piper J-series that lost an engine over a congested area, the second one was a homebuilt flipped in deep snow, the third was an ultralight he'd built that had jammed ailerons. Likely the NTSB had never been informed of the last two....
1711408324601.png

Ron Wanttaja

I know at least two.

The more hours you have, the more exposure you have to that kind of thing. Doesn't *always* mean there is anything specifically worse about that pilot.

I knew of a person that landed gear up 5 times. Not totaled.

2 or 3 were malfunctions. Not a professional pilot but still ATP and CFII and MEI.

My grandfather, by his own account, pranged maybe five aircraft to total destruction (and I have his own photos to prove it :))… but that was in the First World War, he was flying with the Royal Flying Corp (RFC), and that sort of thing seems to have been expected (but not necessarily more survivable — he always said he was incredibly lucky). He was eighteen. See https://medium.com/the-photolalia/per-ardua-ad-astra-2d4f7778f11 for some of the details.

Personally, I’ve only wrecked one. But I owned an airplane that got wrecked twice.

A similar conversation came up one night at a Bonfire…who had wrecked the most airplanes.
No contest, even among that group…

Guy I used to know used to fly a lot of ferry flights in, by his account, airplanes that probably had no business being flown. Said he’d probably crashed more planes than I’d flown in. I’ll never know if that was something of an exaggeration or not. RIP Pat, ya old hillbilly.

Why does it matter how good your story is? All that's needed to buy an airplane is $$. You don't need permission from the FAA or anybody else.

I know someone who has crashed multiple Aerostars. If you have money (he does), you still get insurance.

Tim

Back