"Wow, pulled back the wrong side throttle"

Either he already had an ATP or passed the written before 1500 hrs became the requirement.

Whole bunch of people took the ATP written in June 2014 to get grandfathered in under the old requirements.
Not sure about the written, but 1500 hours was always the min flight time for the ATP since I can remember. Back when I did it I needed 1500, a 1st class medical, and an FAA log book check just for the written.

I know they have a "restricted" ATP now where you can do less depending on certain factors.

I know pilots who have less than 1500TT and fly 172s in Alaska, and can guarantee they are better stick and rudder pilots than 99% who post on this board.
Whatever... Flying professionally is a lot more than stick & rudder. Alaska flying is by far not the the best platform to launch airline pilots.

You're absolutely right, it doesn't. Does it make you a better pilot than the weekend warriors out of necessity? Absolutely.

I also stand by my earlier statement.

Sorry but your previous statements are foolish.

We are talking professional pilots.

BTW need to check your AK ego at the door...before you hurt yourself and others.

Sorry but your previous statements are foolish.

We are talking professional pilots.

BTW need to check your AK ego at the door...before you hurt yourself and others.

Yep, you know me so well, ****er. Must have read my memoir or some ****. "All the dumb things I've done, and how TEFLONSEAN has a huge johnson" by David White

No, not directly. But the implication was there.

Well I do apologize because that is not what I meant.

edit: I've met some real cowboys in my adventures who are ******* good stick and rudder pilots, but despite that I would not fly with them because I question their decisionmaking.

Last edited:
Whatever... Flying professionally is a lot more than stick & rudder. Alaska flying is by far not the the best platform to launch airline pilots.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm...... Sure meet a lot of airline pilots that spent time up here. I meet former airline pilots that quit the airlines to fly in Alaska. I meet more airline pilots with Alaska time then military time. But that could just be the area.

Now I will say that Alaska time will not give a mediocre pilot the skill needed to move upward..... but it does open doors. I sent a resume out for a job in Montana flying a 1900. They called me that day to offer me the job. I was told they liked my Alaska time because I would not be afraid of ice.

So, what is the best by far platform to launch airline pilots?

Yep, you know me so well, ****er. Must have read my memoir or some ****. "All the dumb things I've done, and how TEFLONSEAN has a huge johnson" by David White

Um....try to read how you high jacked the thread with the implication AK pilots somehow have magical skills. Yes we all know AK has more pilots per capita than any other state. Yes they might fly more...yes they might be better pilots...than your average weekend warriors.

But was that relative to the topic??

Thanks for the asteriks...and the over the top reply.:confused:

Um....try to read how you high jacked the thread with the implication AK pilots somehow have magical skills. Yes we all know AK has more pilots per capita than any other state. Yes they might fly more...yes they might be better pilots...than your average weekend warriors.

But was that relative to the topic??

Thanks for the asteriks...and the over the top reply.:confused:

been a long day. sorry dude. I'm grump.

been a long day. sorry dude. I'm grump.

No worries....I know your a young guy...passionate about aviation and passionate about your home state. Which I agree with you on all parts you made....just not about this topic.

I enjoy a lot of posts that you make here.

My hope is that you become an old AK pilot and not a bold AK pilot. And from what I have read...... you will become old.

Tailwinds my friend.:)

It's only scary to the person in the left seat:D

Seriously, I've only had a couple of new hires that were in way over their heads. One got it together by his proby ride and was great to fly with. He recently upgraded to captain. The other was just not ready and did not make it through his proby ride.

Where the problem is at airlines that have fast upgrade times and low time new hires. For the most part nobody is ready to be captain with only a year or so of 121 transport time under their belt. I know I wasnt.

Bob

Well I'm not going to a quick upgrade airline. The airline I wanted kept kicking my interview down the road after they hired to much by accident.

I wouldn't have a clue as to your abilities until I fly with you, but.... Statistically speaking it would not go as smoothly as someone with more experience. Multi time, turbine time, doesn't really mean what it sounds like. It means more to the level of flying you have done, vs the engine type. In other words, if you have PIC Multi turbine time you are more likely to have done complex arrivals with profile descents to large airports.
It's just playing the odds...

Would disagree with that! There will be a learning curve for sure!

How did you get to the airlines with 970TT instead of 1500?

I qualify for the 1000TT R-ATP. I can start class at 960 as I will get the rest in sim time.

I know pilots who have less than 1500TT and fly 172s in Alaska, and can guarantee they are better stick and rudder pilots than 99% who post on this board.

Wouldn't disagree on that.

Oh David, you think you'll be able to join us this year? We NEED the Hasselhoff!!! :rofl::rofl:

Back