Wow! My wife has the flying bug.

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I took a 22 year hiatus from flying. Mostly due to financial constraints.

When I met my wife nine years ago I informed her that two things I would never give up were motorcycles & airplanes. She loves motorcycling but since I wasn't flying at the time she didn't give much thought to aviation.

Last fall, I got a second class physical, took a flight review, & began flying again. She was supportive but apprehensive. Since then we have taken numerous local flights in rented airplane & a few days trips in a 182. As of late she's been asking when "we" were flying again.

Last evening she wanted some aerial shots of the winery where she's employed & vineyard shots. I rented a 150 thinking it would be slow & cheap.

After she got her shots, I said it was her turn to take the controls. She was a bit timid at first but after I explained pitch, roll, & yaw, she had a blast. We came home & she asked about getting a medical. I am ecstatic.

She wanted to learn more so I dusted off my "Stick & Rudder" & said the book would be a good beginning.

I feel very fortunate that she seems to love to fly.

Here we go!

IMG_0527_zpswi3yjelx.jpg

Congratulations. Your wife and the Cessna look good together! She should start taking lessons in this plane...
I hope you can share your flying time with her soon (can be a advantage or disadvantage, though)... :):):)

You are a lucky man.

Very cool..
I own 3 planes and my wife likes flying in the J-3 Cub but not the Cessna or Pitts. I keep telling her she should learn to fly and take her friends up. She has no interest at all. She is just scared of doing it.

Very cool! She should at least take a Pinch Hitter course. Even better get her ticket.

You sure you want a sideseat driver?

"Why are you off 50'?"
"You missed that turn at DWEEB!"
"They said fly 3-4-0, not 3-3-8!"

My wife absolutely loves to fly she started flying with me in the backseat during lessons before I was licensed even during unusual attitudes she has always been a good sport. I don't think she could pilot though and she admits this as well. She gets flustered when multiple things get thrown at her at once or she needs to direct her attention in more than one place at a time. She also has the most horrendous sense of direction but she is cute and I love her beyond words so that makes up for a lot. :p

She must think I am going to die soon :eek: though because she does occasionally bring up that she worries if something was to happen to me what would she do. I have offered to get her some pinch hitter lessons but to this point she has said no.

She must think I am going to die soon :eek: though because she does occasionally bring up that she worries if something was to happen to me what would she do. I have offered to get her some pinch hitter lessons but to this point she has said no.

Maybe she wants a big fat insurance policy! :eek::D

"Why are you off 50'?"
That only happens when the side seat driver is a CFI (or an anal retentive control freak and then flying is the least of your concerns)

"Stick and Rudder" is a bit dry for a newbie...give her the FAA "Airplane Flying Handbook". It's got great explanations of tons of stuff and good illustrations too. You want to get her excited, not bore her with theory! ;)

Having a wife that loves to fly is the best possible scenario. I know -- my wife's been a pilot since 1998!

Congrats!

"Why are you off 50'?"

My long-time girlfriend is about 35 hours into her PPL and this is already starting to happen :D

On the plus side it makes me have to be good at my ground stuff again so I can quiz her for the written.

I am so glad Mrs. Steingar is content to be a passenger. As it is, the airplane is the only place where my driving not subject to frequent opprobrium.

Congratulations! If that is what you want, then kudos to you and her.

I love my wife but I need to do something else, my own hobby, that is separate from her. I have my hobby and she has her things that she does. We've been married for 20 years and have a great relationship and for us it is healthy to have some alone time where we pursue our own interests. For me it is flying. Sharing PIC logging and having a second opinion about what I'm doing wrong? No thanks. :D

She golfs and I fly,occasionally ,she will fly to a good restuanant ,or a party. Limited separation is sometimes a good thing. Hope it works out for you.

"Stick and Rudder" is a bit dry for a newbie...give her the FAA "Airplane Flying Handbook". It's got great explanations of tons of stuff and good illustrations too. You want to get her excited, not bore her with theory! ;)

I couldn't agree more.

I agree as well been trying to finish that book for about a year can't seem to get it done.

I took a 22 year hiatus from flying. Mostly due to financial constraints.

Last fall, I got a second class physical, took a flight review, & began flying again. She was supportive but apprehensive. Since then we have taken numerous local flights in rented airplane & a few days trips in a 182. As of late she's been asking when "we" were flying again.
Why did you get a Second Class? You going to instruct?

You need a 2nd class medical to exercise the privileges of a commercial certificate. You do not need one to have a commercial certificate, nor do you need one to instruct.

You need a 2nd class medical to exercise the privileges of a commercial certificate. You do not need one to have a commercial certificate, nor do you need one to instruct.
Interesting.
Disclaimer: I am a lowly ASEL+IR pilot who is not aspiring toward a CPL anytime soon but I am genuinely intrigued by this.
So if one needs a 2nd class medical to exercise the privileges of a CPL, is CFI-ing an exemption? I would logically assume that a CFI who is paid for flying is thus exercising CPL privileges. Where am I wrong? (I assume I am)

(and yes, I know I could go look it up but again, I am not aspiring to be a CPL or CFI so I do not have a desire to look it up myself, I will defer to the smart pilots' explanation here .... AND I am also lazy :D )

Yes, CFI-ing is an exemption. You need the Commercial/Instrument certificate to get your CFI certificate. But you don't need a 2nd class to instruct. A 3rd will do for the times you have to act as pilot in command as an instructor.

The FAA apparently thinks you're getting paid to instruct, not to fly, as you aren't carrying passengers or cargo for hire.

Some husbands/wives bicker when they fly together. Mine and I love having a second pilot around all the time. We can talk flying as much as we want and enjoy it together, when we go on trips you have two brains and four eyes looking out on each flight, you have someone to bounce weather off of and someone else to work with in tense situations. We set up a couple basic 'rules' at the get-go in order to avoid some potential typical conflicts, and have enjoyed 22 years of flying about everywhere together so far...

Why did you get a Second Class? You going to instruct?
I routinely get a second class and let it revert to 3rd. It costs the same, and the difference in the exam is tiny. And on the off chance I might happen to complete a commercial certificate in the first year, I'm taken care of. Unlikely benefit, but minuscule cost.

I routinely get a second class and let it revert to 3rd. It costs the same, and the difference in the exam is tiny. And on the off chance I might happen to complete a commercial certificate in the first year, I'm taken care of. Unlikely benefit, but minuscule cost.
You don't need a 2nd to get a commercial ticket, only to exercise it.

Sorry for the slow response. I've been on a long business trip & only did necessary things the few times I got on-line.

I got a second class so I could exercise my CPL. I haven't reinstated my CFI yet but may have some opportunities to do some charter flying. I've also had a couple of people approach me about flying their company owned airplane. So I got it "just in case".

I've also had thoughts about starting a Part 135 operation. I had my 135 in the early 90's & may get it again. It was a pain in the behind to get it back then so I doubt it any easier now.

Just exploring options.

Also, if my wife decides to start flight training I will NOT be the one instructing her. I've been divorced twice before so I learned a few things the hard way.

S
Also, if my wife decides to start flight training I will NOT be the one instructing her. I've been divorced twice before so I learned a few things the hard way.

Third time's a charm!:oops:

Haha, probably a good move. Felt the same way (well not that way as you would lol) about teaching my son, figured we'd be butting heads. Worked out great except he needed some 'encouragement' in hitting the books.

Back