wow...I hope he didn't lose any brain cells

mpartovi

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mpartovi
I'm not sure if this was posted already or not...but last night on "Chicago NBC channel 5 news" I watched how an ultralight crashed at a highschool stadium.
The ultralight was low and clipped its wing on a truck trailer cart-wheeling it into a crowd of people. No fatalities, just serious injuries.

http://www.nbc6.net/news/5240113/detail.html

The "pilot" stated: "He likes to fly low and over people."

Must I say anymore???

Of course at the time of watching this, I had my fiance laying next to me and she just started off with her "you're not flying anymore!!! its dangerous!!!!"

Last edited:
HPNFlyGirl said:
Its idiots like this guy who make us good pilots look bad.
Will sport pilot help stop some of this ultralite, 2hour wonder pilot nonsense? I mean some of these guys do not have a clue and just a plane and a short class later they are "flying low over people" it give the good UL and other pilots a bad rep.

smigaldi said:
Will sport pilot help stop some of this ultralite, 2hour wonder pilot nonsense? I mean some of these guys do not have a clue and just a plane and a short class later they are "flying low over people" it give the good UL and other pilots a bad rep.
I wish. But I wouldn't bet on it.

I had to take evasive action today to avoid a 172 who merrily flew in front of my helicopter oblivious that there was other traffic. If this weren't bad enough, we both were at 500' AGL. Safe in a helo, maybe not so safe in a 172, and maybe illegal since there was a housing development below...

RotaryWingBob said:
I wish. But I wouldn't bet on it.

I had to take evasive action today to avoid a 172 who merrily flew in front of my helicopter oblivious that there was other traffic. If this weren't bad enough, we both were at 500' AGL. Safe in a helo, maybe not so safe in a 172, and maybe illegal since there was a housing development below...

No offense but seeing a R22 is not exactly an easy task. I've had it before to where the tower said there was a R22 on final for runway 20. I never did see that thing, Both me and my CFI were looking for it. Never seen it on final. Or over the runway. The tower then cleared it to taxi to the service ramp and we still didn't see it anywhere. Infact I didn't see it until after I landed and parked next to it.

RotaryWingBob said:
we both were at 500' AGL. Safe in a helo, maybe not so safe in a 172, and maybe illegal since there was a housing development below...

That begs the question, what defines "congested area" and the difference between the 500 and 1000agl floors. I've always kind of gone by the yellow city outline on the sectional. Flying over the yellow = congested area = 1000agl floor. Non yellow areas = 5000agl floor.

jangell said:
No offense but seeing a R22 is not exactly an easy task. I've had it before to where the tower said there was a R22 on final for runway 20. I never did see that thing, Both me and my CFI were looking for it. Never seen it on final. Or over the runway. The tower then cleared it to taxi to the service ramp and we still didn't see it anywhere. Infact I didn't see it until after I landed and parked next to it.
None taken :)

My point was not so much that he didn't see me, but that he was tooling around at 500 AGL over a populated area.

Helicopters can be hard to see if you're above them, but this guy was a my altitude.

Bill Jennings said:
That begs the question, what defines "congested area" and the difference between the 500 and 1000agl floors. I've always kind of gone by the yellow city outline on the sectional. Flying over the yellow = congested area = 1000agl floor. Non yellow areas = 5000agl floor.

Around Seattle, anywhere there's a few houses, don't be surprised to get hassled if you're low and they can see your N#...
The yellow boundaries mean practically nothing in that respect.

Always fly over cities low in a steep turn with your N number up. Just circle your way out of the city :)

Bill Jennings said:

I believe the FAA has ruled in the past that only a few people on a beach
is a congested area. No reference to quote, but I believe I read it here so it must be gospel!

Bill Jennings said:
Yes it does beg that question. But what's legal and what's smart aren't always the same thing, and I guess I don't view 500 AGL in a 172 over a development as being real smart.

Well Bob i guess i'm overconcius then because i never fly less then 2000 AGl unless i'm in the pattern, there is a quote that says "Altitude is your Friend" and i live by it. Dave G

RotaryWingBob said:
None taken :)

My point was not so much that he didn't see me, but that he was tooling around at 500 AGL over a populated area.

Helicopters can be hard to see if you're above them, but this guy was a my altitude.

What was he doing? I used to follow pipelines at less than 500' over populated areas. It's truly astounding how many housing developements, and I mean houses, not back yards or streets, are constructed right over 50 year old pipelines. One day these people will wake up with oil in their basements and think they're Jed Clampett. Lot's of pipelines get flown in 172s, and typically, the pilots are looking down for signs of leaks. They figure, no one else would be flying that low. I had near misses at 200'AGL with B1Bs, F-16s, T-38s, T-37s, Blackhawks... because I was looking at the ground, and they had their heads in the cockpit. Luckily I always got that 'feeling' that something was really close and looked up just in time to avoid. Even had a very near miss with a T-38 at the end of the runway at Sheppard AFB (a pipe runs right at the threshold) after being cleared through by the tower (this was a twice a week run that I would fly that sector of 'on the ground' ) When I querried tower why a T-38 almost creamed me when he had cleared me through, he replied "I don't talk to those guys, those runways have their own controller boxes at the ends of the runway that I can't communicate with." Sheesh. Just goes to show, things aren't always what you think they should be.

Henning said:
What was he doing? I used to follow pipelines at less than 500' over populated areas. It's truly astounding how many housing developements, and I mean houses, not back yards or streets, are constructed right over 50 year old pipelines.

I'm pretty sure he was just sightseeing. I know the particular area pretty well and I don't believe there's any big pipelines and certainly no high tension stuff (I've been on the ground there as well, and have never seen any markers).

As to pipelines and stuff, I know a MD pilot who works for a major electric company. He has to hover over high tension lines while the crew look for problems and when they find one, they photograph it and determine which pylon it's on. If he ever had a engine, transmission, tail rotor or any other serious problem the question is whether the electricity would fry him before the burning Jet-A did...

RotaryWingBob said:
As to pipelines and stuff, I know a MD pilot who works for a major electric company. He has to hover over high tension lines while the crew look for problems

In the 80s I knew a guy who flew a harpoon thingy with a rope attached and they would somehow shove this through those insulators on the 300' high electrical wire towers all day long, for many miles. Then they would use the rope to pull the electric wire. This guy would show up at the bar with an adrenaline overdose like youd never seen. Jumpy, wired, jittery even tourette's-like. After a few hours he would calm down but what a high stress job.

Bill Jennings said:

Those yellow outlines on the sectional just show areas that one would expect to see well lit at night. They do not represent "congested" areas. Far more areas are congested than those that are shown in yellow.

Now, just what is the legal definition of "congested"? :dunno:

Let'sgoflying! said:
In the 80s I knew a guy who flew a harpoon thingy with a rope attached and they would somehow shove this through those insulators on the 300' high electrical wire towers all day long, for many miles. Then they would use the rope to pull the electric wire. This guy would show up at the bar with an adrenaline overdose like youd never seen. Jumpy, wired, jittery even tourette's-like. After a few hours he would calm down but what a high stress job.

Do those guys get paid very much ?

RotaryWingBob said:
As to pipelines and stuff, I know a MD pilot who works for a major electric company. He has to hover over high tension lines while the crew look for problems and when they find one, they photograph it and determine which pylon it's on. If he ever had a engine, transmission, tail rotor or any other serious problem the question is whether the electricity would fry him before the burning Jet-A did...
You can darn well bet that if he did have a problem and he did survive he would head straight to the mechanic to kick his bloody ass.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Do those guys get paid very much ?
I ran into one of those guys in the early 90s. He was contracted to PG&E to fly all over the coastal hills and interior SJ valley. At that time he was getting $65/hr. Probably less now since the utilities are not so flush with money as they once were.

He was one tough bird too. Well, he was very nice and extremely polite but you could see it in his eyes. Flew Hueys in VN, cropdusted for 17 years.

Henning said:
What was he doing? I used to follow pipelines at less than 500' over populated areas. It's truly astounding how many housing developements, and I mean houses, not back yards or streets, are constructed right over 50 year old pipelines. One day these people will wake up with oil in their basements and think they're Jed Clampett.
Aint it the truth! And it is a very good reason why everyone should call Dig-Alert before they dig even if they're replacing their driveway or planting new rose bushes.

One particular guy, his wife bought him a new toy, a Case backhoe. He had a lot of fun rearranging his land out front of his house, even after he was notified a Jet A line ran right though his property. It was easily seen from the air how he managed to just barely miss the pipe every time.
Just goes to show, things aren't always what you think they should be.
So true.

Last edited:
From what I understand, sport pilots do not have to have medicals. So some guy can go out flying when he has chest pain, thinking its "INDIGI" (indigestion) and hes really having a heart attack, but does not recognize the signs. When he is flying, he dies, and crashes into someones house, or as in the case stated above, a group of people. HELLO!!!! Is the FAA not getting something here? Sport Piloting in my opinion is dangerous.

HPNFlyGirl said:
From what I understand, sport pilots do not have to have medicals. So some guy can go out flying when he has chest pain, thinking its "INDIGI" (indigestion) and hes really having a heart attack, but does not recognize the signs. When he is flying, he dies, and crashes into someones house, or as in the case stated above, a group of people. HELLO!!!! Is the FAA not getting something here? Sport Piloting in my opinion is dangerous.
The FAA mandated medical exam would not prevent the above scenario from occuring. Aside from that, aren't the sport pilots also required to self ground due to medical deficiency? In either case, a pilot may not accurately recognize the symptoms, if any.

Right now a local aprt is having massive trouble from a local group of ultra light flyers. The flyers insist they have every right to a public use aprt as do certificated pilots. Trouble is they don't comply with established regs and rules which causes major headaches and the near missess et al. To me, lack of basic training is the bigger problem.

Richard said:
Right now a local aprt is having massive trouble from a local group of ultra light flyers. The flyers insist they have every right to a public use aprt as do certificated pilots. Trouble is they don't comply with established regs and rules which causes major headaches and the near missess et al. To me, lack of basic training is the bigger problem.

Richard, I do not believe there is anything which exempts pilots, of whatever craft and regardless of licensure requirement, from complying with FARs in operating at an airfield.

Any Reg wonks wanna check me on that?

HPNFlyGirl said:
From what I understand, sport pilots do not have to have medicals. Sport Piloting in my opinion is dangerous.

Correct. We don't need to be "Med Certified", but a Paul Harvey says.. "and now, the R E S T of the story". If you had looked into FAA "SP" rules and regulations you would have found something akin to the following.

"If you know and are aware of a medical problem that would prevent you from piloting in a SAFE manner, you are mandated by FAA rule and regulation from doing so". There are other rules that pertain to "drivers licenses". If a license is suspended.. you're grounded. A ticket for DUI/DWI.. the same also. Etc., etc. So just because "Sport Pilots" don't have a "medical" doesn't mean one can get away scott free and fly without a care in the world.

(Those aren't the exact words per all the rules and regulations.. but you get the general idea.)

When will it ever STOP?

Let's get the FACTS out here once and for all. "SPORT PILOT" is NO more, nor NO less dangerous than the pilot who's behind the stick/yoke! It's as simple as that.

Once again we hear from those who think they are better than others just because they might be a "PP" with a "Med Certificate". I could make the same "dangerous" remark about YOU and yours.. but as we know it wouldn't hold water.

"Private Pilots" in my opinion are dangerous. Look at how many "PP's" crash in comparison to Commercial pilots. I think we ought to ban all "PP,s". After all.. if they need to fly somewhere they can do so by commercial.

Some of you out there are falling right in line with the anti-gunners. WHAT? What am I talking about?

I remember when it started "way back when". The anti-gunners were pushing for bans on "this size and that size".. and then "this type and that type".. and "this caliber and that caliber".. and guess what happened?

The "hunters" said.. "You're right. Ban them. They're not used for hunting". The "target shooters" said .. "You're right. Ban them. They're not used for target shooting". Etc., etc., etc... untill the Federal Government starting banning.. guess what? The same "size", "type" and "caliber" that the hunters and target shooters were using.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you're right "HPNFlyGirl".

"Sport Piloting is dangerous".. so maybe we ought to ban it. While we're at it "Recreational" should go too. After all it's only a few more hours training.. and we know that a "few more hours" training isn't really enough to make you a SAFE pilot.. right?

Don't worry, I didn't forget "Private". Let's see now. Hmmmm. Definitely need to get rid of "Private" flying under "VFR". One of "THOSE" just might try to take off when the weather was questionable. You know how "Privates" are. Can't trust them to make the right dedcision.

"Fly at night?" No sense trying to fly at night. Don't ya know.. "You can't see anything outside at 15,000 when it's dark.

Twin/multiple engine. NO.. NO! Come on now. You don't need more then one. How many cars do you see on the road that have "more then one" engine? And four engine? Well it's hard enough to operate one.. let alone THREE MORE!

Etc., Etc., Etc.!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well "HPNFlyGirl", I'll try to be there for you, but..

First they came for the Jews..
and I did not speak out, because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists..
and I did not speak out, because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists..
and I did not speak out, because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me..
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Shipoke said:
Well Bob i guess i'm overconcius then because i never fly less then 2000 AGl unless i'm in the pattern, there is a quote that says "Altitude is your Friend" and i live by it. Dave G

2000 FEET! cripes, I'm a skairt of heights.

HPNFlyGirl said:

And how is this any different from a PP with a current medical doing the exact same thing?

The restrictions against it are exactly the same for both.

Well spoken Dakota Duce.

What i would like to hear from those who are anti sport pilot is how are they dangerous, when they have to go through the same trainning as a pp with the exception of night and IFR...and additional trainning for controlled airports.

Wildbil7 said:
What i would like to hear from those who are anti sport pilot is how are they dangerous, when they have to go through the same trainning as a pp with the exception of night and IFR...and additional trainning for controlled airports.

The Sport Pilot license will probably make the skys safer. A newly minted PP who trained in C150s can legally fly a plane like an RV or Lancair which is way beyond his capabilities. Until he learns how to handle the craft on his own he will usually be well behind the aircraft. A sport pilot is restricted to slower aircraft. Before he can move up to faster planes he will be required to get more training.

Sport Pilot will let potential pilots start flying low speed pilot freindly craft with a lower initial investment than a full PP. They will be able to fine tune their basic flying skills before moving up to faster aircraft and night/ifr flying.

Back