Would your wife let you talk to me again

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
OK, so I love practical jokes and it just so happens my very good friend and pilot Mentor and his family are away for a couple of weeks for vacation. Our wives think that we are obsessed with aviation as it totally consumes most of our conversations.

So for some reason this idea pops in my head ...'PAINT HIS DRIVEWAY LIKE A RUNWAY' While he's gone. Seemed reasonable to me. We each have talked about owning property in an airport community.

So I go to the hardware store by tape and striping paint and drive on over get out the handy compass and figure the directions of his driveway, pull out the tape and paint and he now has airport property. They get home this weekend I know he'll love it the fall out that has me wondering is not what his wife will do to me but what my wife will do to me ( or not do) when his wife tells my wife. So would your wife banish me for this...

Last edited:
AdamZ said:
OK, so I love practical jokes and it just so happens my very good friend and pilot Mentor and his family are away for a couple of weeks for vacation. Our wives think that we are obsessed with aviation as it totally consumes most of our conversations.

So for some reason this idea pops in my head ...'PAINT HIS DRIVEWAY LIKE A RUNWAY' While he's gone. Seemed reasonable to me. We each have talked about owning property in an airport community.

So I go to the hardware store by tape and striping paint and drive on over get out the handy compass and figure the directions of his driveway, pull out the tape and paint and he now has airport property. They get home this weekend I know he'll love it the fall out that has me wondering is not what his wife will do to me but what my wife will do to me ( or not do) when his wife tells my wife. So would your wife banish me for this...

That's funny... is he allowed to drive (arrive) on the area before the displaced threshhold?

The displaced threshold has class.

No wife. If I did, it wouldn't be a problem.
If they have a problem with it, you can be my neighbor if you want as long as you bring your compass, paint bucket and tape.

You get bonus points for using a compass to come up with the numbers.

That's awesome, Adam! I may have to use your idea some day!

Actually...my driveway has white edge/driveway lights...I should go replace the bulbs with blue ones!

fgcason said:
The displaced threshold has class.

No wife. If I did, it wouldn't be a problem.
If they have a problem with it, you can be my neighbor if you want as long as you bring your compass, paint bucket and tape.

You get bonus points for using a compass to come up with the numbers.

I'd love to find some old blue taxiway lights to line my driveway with...

I totally LOVE it!

Remember, it's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission... :)

--Kath

kath said:
I totally LOVE it!

Remember, it's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission... :)

--Kath

Slightly modified is the way I heard (and used) it:

Remember, it's always easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

But it generally holds true.

I think it's classy. Do you have a hold short line where the driveway goes to the street? LOL

for years I have yearned for rabbit lights on the driveway centerline! Call me geeky I don't care.

Troy Whistman said:

Walk up to one, sit down with a camera, pencil, paper and ruler. Go to hardware store and duplicate them. It won't be exactly perfect but close enough.

fgcason said:
Walk up to one, sit down with a camera, pencil, paper and ruler. Go to hardware store and duplicate them. It won't be exactly perfect but close enough.
I did it the easy way. I went to one of the big box stores, got standard low intensity lights, and got blue bulbs. I then put them along the walkway in fron of the house. The driveway, of course, will have white lights.

Let'sgoflying! said:
for years I have yearned for rabbit lights on the driveway centerline! Call me geeky I don't care.

what are rabbit lights???

cherokeeflyboy said:
what are rabbit lights???

sorry, bad descript.... those sequenced flasher lights found on some approaches, aka the ball of light that 'draws' you to the threshold. Basically a long row of lights, the first one flashes, then the second, then the third,....to the last one near the rwy - then it all starts over again.

Let'sgoflying! said:
sorry, bad descript.... those sequenced flasher lights found on some approaches, aka the ball of light that 'draws' you to the threshold. Basically a long row of lights, the first one flashes, then the second, then the third,....to the last one near the rwy - then it all starts over again.
gotcha...I think I now know what you mean. is this what you are refering to?
never heard of Approach lighting called rabbit lights, where does that come from? is it a common term or slang?

ALS are a configuration of signal lights starting at the landing threshold and extending into the approach area a distance of 2400-3000 feet for precision instrument runways and 1400-1500 feet for nonprecision instrument runways. Some systems include sequenced flashing lights which appear to the pilot as a ball of light traveling towards the runway at high speed (twice a second). (See FIG 2-1-1.)

F0201001.gif

I thought chasing the rabbit was SOP for IR pilots. Never can catch the bugger tho.

I sooo want that driveway! There's an old rotating beacon light sitting on the ground at OTM, wonder what kind of power it would take to have that thing running in say, my back yard?

bkreager said:
I sooo want that driveway! There's an old rotating beacon light sitting on the ground at OTM, wonder what kind of power it would take to have that thing running in say, my back yard?

Electrically, probably 220/240 VAC. Maybe 50 amps max. Legally? Another story.

cherokeeflyboy said:
ALS are a configuration of signal lights starting at the landing threshold and extending into the approach area a distance of 2400-3000 feet for precision instrument runways and 1400-1500 feet for nonprecision instrument runways. Some systems include sequenced flashing lights which appear to the pilot as a ball of light traveling towards the runway at high speed (twice a second). (See FIG 2-1-1.)

Now all you need is an appropriately adjusted VASI that'll let you pull the vehicle into the garage and stop 3 inches from the wall/junk without bumping anything.

Let'sgoflying! said:

That sounds cool, Dave, but I wonder if you'd have any personal liability if somebody in low vis actually landed on your driveway... :)

cherokeeflyboy said:
gotcha...I think I now know what you mean. is this what you are refering to?
never heard of Approach lighting called rabbit lights, where does that come from? is it a common term or slang?

The term comes from the "rabbit" (also called a lure); a mechanical device that looks like a rabbit and runs on the top of the inside rail during greyhound racing to entice the dogs. It stays out in front of the pack and leads them on.

Troy Whistman said:
That sounds cool, Dave, but I wonder if you'd have any personal liability if somebody in low vis actually landed on your driveway... :)

HAHAHA!
Since when, did anybody have liability for an aircraft NOT landing at an airport, (except of course for the pilot...)
in any visibility.. :target: :dunno:
Lemmee see here..... what's it called.......

Oh Yeah...... Pilot Error! :yes:

heh heh!

Chache said:
HAHAHA!
Since when, did anybody have liability for an aircraft NOT landing at an airport, (except of course for the pilot...)
in any visibility.. :target: :dunno:
Lemmee see here..... what's it called.......

Oh Yeah...... Pilot Error! :yes:

heh heh!
Yeah, and as we learned from Die Hard III(?) you can make a jet crash by just changing location of the the ILS glideslope on a computer. It not like the jets have humans on them looking for an actual runway or anything.

mikea said:
There are such things.

Cool. A rangefinder hooked up to some lights.

It would be more fun to design and build one yourself though. :p

It's not exactly a VASI but I use to use a tennis ball hanging from a string. Just pull up until it bumps the windshield. We did the same kind of thing in the hangar with the Cherokee. Pull up until the ball bumps the leading edge of the wing. That put the tail inside the hangar and gave about 2ft clearance from the farm equipment that was sitting in front of the prop.

fgcason said:
Cool. A rangefinder hooked up to some lights.

It would be more fun to design and build one yourself though. :p

It's not exactly a VASI but I use to use a tennis ball hanging from a string. Just pull up until it bumps the windshield. We did the same kind of thing in the hangar with the Cherokee. Pull up until the ball bumps the leading edge of the wing. That put the tail inside the hangar and gave about 2ft clearance from the farm equipment that was sitting in front of the prop.
If you follow the google search there's also a $30 laser thing where you put a target on the dash and aim the laser to hit it where you want the car to be or something like that.

"I'm right on the beam."

Last edited:
Or you could just learn how to park your car...

Adam, cool idea! Whats the address? I work in Bensalem and would love to see it one day in person.

Other than that, you had better hope he does not pain your driveway with a hold short line. With no tower or ground control to permit your crossing it, you'll never be able to leave your driveway again!

John

I would like it, unfortunately my wife would not.

John Recine said:

Same here. I don't think she'd see the humor. Now, a few years ago I lined the walk from the street to the front door in blue lights. We've re-landscaped, so it wouldn't work today, but it looked cool then.

I just showed the pictures to my wife Adam, and I'm officially not allowed to tell you where I live. :rofl:

Troy Whistman said:

Got a bunch from an airport lighting job if they haven't been pitched yet!

John Recine said:
Adam, cool idea! Whats the address? I work in Bensalem and would love to see it one day in person.

Lunch is on you then I'll take you there (Where do you fly out of PNE?)

Well Lee tell your wife your safe for a while. Let me tell you what a pain that was. Creating Stencils with Masking Tape all hunched over. The back is killing me today. He gets home tomorrow but It will all have been worth it. I can't wait for the phone call :rofl: . If I had more time I'd have put up a wind sock and painted a yellow turnoff line to his side door.

Adam,

I know of another driveway you could paint! That's way too cool!

Missa

Nav8tor said:
I just showed the pictures to my wife Adam, and I'm officially not allowed to tell you where I live. :rofl:
Lee, is your wifes name really Adam?:D

AdamZ said:
Lunch is on you then I'll take you there (Where do you fly out of PNE?)

Well Lee tell your wife your safe for a while. Let me tell you what a pain that was. Creating Stencils with Masking Tape all hunched over. The back is killing me today. He gets home tomorrow but It will all have been worth it. I can't wait for the phone call :rofl: . If I had more time I'd have put up a wind sock and painted a yellow turnoff line to his side door.

Adam,

I was flying out of LNS and now other airports in the greater lancaster area, thats where I live. Hopefully with the latest issues in comercial, the company will let me fly myself to our locations. I think or hope that becomes more the possibility as time goes on. Its just some much an investment in time to go comercial than GA. It now takes a full day to go anywhere and a day back! Comercial costs are no great savings. I had to go to Memphis last week on short notice the tickets were 1200.00 and still took all day to get there. I am certain a 172 would have been less expensive, quicker and easier to do.

You're on for lunch! I'll have to let you know when I am in town again, off to Chicago on Monday!

John

AdamZ said:
He gets home tomorrow but It will all have been worth it. I can't wait for the phone call ...
So, Adam - how'd it turn out??

The lack of an update is ... worrisome.

heheheh.

Troy Whistman said:

I better check my homeowners policy for that section! (I actually do worry about the windsock I have already....no strip for miles but I like to see what the wind is doing. Did have a guy drive in one day looking for the 'landing strip')

gprellwitz said:
The driveway, of course, will have white lights.
But only for the first 2/3's of it's length right? Red after that.

BTW Adam, your prank is downright inspired!

Last edited:
mikea said:
If you follow the google search there's also a $30 laser thing where you put a target on the dash and aim the laser to hit it where you want the car to be or something like that.

"I'm right on the beam."
Use the headlights.

My car's lights have a multiude of lines in them. I drew a line on the wall and when the left most line from the lights hits the line on the wall, I'm there!

Awesome post Adam.

Last edited:
Back