Would you like that fitered or un-filtered?

I mentioned in my post that no one at the FBO could explain where the bubbles came from. What I didn't mention is that they were emphatic that it *couldn't* be water... because of the water detection/separator system.

Yet, of course, it was. Turns out that the detector system had half-way worked...it was supposed to shut down the fuel flow, but it only reduced the rate. I remember when I was filling the 150's tanks I was saying, "Jeeze, this is slow...."

Ron Wanttaja
I am in the fuel business and operate a underground bulk plant.

My airport sticks the underground tanks every morning and uses water paste on the gauge stick. It will indicate water. Then they compare the stick readings to the veeder root print out. Never trust any electronic water detection/auto eliminators. Good old water paste is still the best way to detect water in fuel.
Wish every operator would do that on a daily basis.

IMO if I found that much water in my sample cup, there is no way I am pouring any of that fuel that back into my planes fuel tanks. I don’t care what kind of filter you have.

Last edited:
I half want to dump a cup of water in my tank sometime to see what happens. But I will wait until we have to remove a tank for maintenance or drain it fully, since I am not looking to end up in the trees at the end of the runway!

I have always had my plane tied down outside in Florida, but have never pulled any noticeable water in my Gatts jar, knock on wood. I also make sure that I change my fuel cap gaskets every other annual. I also try to check the gaskets every so often in between and put fuel lube on them to keep them from drying out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always had my plane tied down outside in Florida, but have never pulled any noticeable water in my Gatts jar, knock on wood. I also make sure that I change my fuel cap gaskets every other annual. I also try to check the gaskets every so often in between and put fuel lube on them to keep them from drying out.

Fuel lube on the filler cap gaskets may not be a good idea if you operate in dusty conditions?

I have been using it on my filler caps for about 3 years now and I like a lot. Pretty sure my caps seal close to 100%? Dust or grit has not been a problem so far. Can even help in there is minor corrosion? YMMV

Last edited:

I switch to the blue gaskets, heard they’re suppose to last longer.

Back