Would you have continued flight?

I would have done the same thing. You made a good decision with the information that was available to you. A lot of good responses here. I'll add that had you kept going would that issue have "been in your head" and potentially distracted you should another abnormal situation popped up. Perhaps individually, the situations wouldn't be an issue but collectively could they they saturate you and negatively impact your performance? Well done!

Yes, -17F is really cold, inhumanely cold

Then again, I have been places where it warmed up to -17 and we unzip the jackets while stating, '' It sure is warming up nicely today.!!'' :lol::lol:

All kidding aside, again, you made the right decisions for you and your family. Don't beat yourself up, be glad you are on the ground relating your adventures to us.

Then again, I have been places where it warmed up to -17 and we unzip the jackets while stating, '' It sure is warming up nicely today.!!'' :lol::lol:

Was -6 today and I thought the same. That was the last straw, I shouldn't be thinking "oh, only -6, nice out today!"... Florida, we're coming haha.

You did the right thing because it worked out safely, if not comfortable for everyone. I am an A&P mechanic and your description of the problem tells me it is just a problem with the tach cable or the tach instrument. I would have gone back to where you started or a convenient and comfortable airport within the same flight time as the departure airport.

Wow, so many responses to my post. Thank you so much! I'm a relatively low time pilot (138 hours PIC) so all of this is still very much a learning experience for me, albeit one without a CFI in my ear yelling to use more rudder lol.

Some clarifying information that were asked throughout this threat.

Weather conditions were cold as hell (-17F) but perfectly VFR, sunny with 30 kts headwind aloft but only about 5 kts of wind on the ground.
Terrain was flat with little to no trees but every field had a few feet of soft powder snow. I was loosely following a major highway I would have been within gliding distance of at all times.
No other airports besides the one I'm now stuck at for an hour either way. It's VERY rural out here.
Departure airport was not my home airport. My home airport is five hours from here. We were on our way home.
Airplane is new to me so not 100% familiar with the airplane just yet. I mean, I am in terms of flying it, but you know what I mean, I don't know the plane like the back of my hand, or like I did with my last plane which I've flown for nearly 100 hours. I've only flown the Cherokee for about 10 hours since I bought it last month.
I was 90% certain it's just an instrument issue and nothing wrong with the engine. Originally, I was setting up for a landing right besides the highway in a field but I played around with the power settings and the engine responded as expected based on engine sound. Based on that, I decided to not go down in a field but instead head to the airport that was nearby. I think the one thing that startled me the most was the strange grinding sound I heard. Without it, I might have continued flight to a more suitable airport I guess. Hard to tell sitting on a sofa indoors though.

Update about the situation.

I found a mechanic who works on ag planes here during the winter and he looked at it today. The tach cable is shot beyond repair. We ordered a new one which should have arrived same day via courier but it didn't so we're stuck for another night at least. Apparently the tach itself is also on its last leg so once home I'll change that as well. My local mechanic has a tach sitting around that fits the Cherokee.

Well, another crazy aviation story to tell I guess. I like the boring stories that go like "well, we took off, and landed at our destination three hours later..." much better than the crazy ones.

To everyone from further south: Yes, -17F is really cold, inhumanely cold and it should be illegal for anyone to live in climates that cold. This entire region should just be evacuated from November until March. We'll voluntarily evacuate next month and head down to Florida for a little while. Hopefully all my flying stories flying to Florida and then back north a few weeks later will be of the boring kind.

I wish I could tell you it's the only thing that will break on the airplane, but we all know that's not true. :) Sounds like you're taking it in stride. I'm sure someone will be along to say "time to spare go by air" and all that but trust me that flights like this are in the minority. But just in case, hotel and rental car status points are handy to have sometimes.

Just curious, when you prepared for the flight did you take into account how you would survive if you had an off field landing and had to endure the -17F temperature for some time? Did you have enough emergency blankets, warm clothes and some sort of heat source in the plane? If you really were that far from nowhere and it had been something worse than a tach cable it could have turned out much worse if you got stuck out there without the means to survive the cold.

If you don’t mind. Unless I missed it…

where is “here”?

"Here" is in the Canadian Prairies. We get the best of both worlds, -40C in the winter and +40C in the summer. And then there are two weeks in the so called Spring and Fall where you don't have to worry about getting the plane off the ground due to high DA or freezing your behind off while waiting for a clearance on the ground lol.

Just curious, when you prepared for the flight did you take into account how you would survive if you had an off field landing and had to endure the -17F temperature for some time? Did you have enough emergency blankets, warm clothes and some sort of heat source in the plane? If you really were that far from nowhere and it had been something worse than a tach cable it could have turned out much worse if you got stuck out there without the means to survive the cold.

I did. We dress in heavy ski wear in layers and have blankets and some means to make a fire on board. Additionally, when it's this cold, I always follow well travelled roads and stay within gliding distance of said roads, so help should be near at all times if needed. Although it's rural with not many towns, the main highway up here is still pretty well traveled during daytime hours as it's pretty much the only east to west trucking route.

Just thank your lucky stars you did not put it down in a snow covered field in -17 weather because of a tach cable. We would have given you crap forever for that. You would have to change your username to Iceman.

Just thank your lucky stars you did not put it down in a snow covered field in -17 weather because of a tach cable. We would have given you crap forever for that. You would have to change your username to Iceman.

LOL, Iceman does sound pretty cool though.

Indicator failures are pretty common, I had issues with my manifold pressure, I continued on. This is where an engine monitor is priceless, you can check it for other indicators of engine problems.

For what it’s worth, I live near Chicago, IL stateside. The place I’m renting from doesn’t allow flight under 10* F.

Not as cold here as there, but it’s 1* right now.

Owner of the flight school told me “things just break when it’s that cold, and tougher to survive an off airport landing if services can’t respond immediately.”

Ive never owned, so that is a factor. 10* cutoff here probably means a month of no flying due to temps (ignoring IMC) vs. probably most of the winter by you?

I still would have landed. The unusual grinding noise would have made me uncomfortable.

If you really fly yourself cross border down to FL you better post that story! That sounds epic. I’d love to read how you plan those trips in the real world, how customs works and how you get your kids (and you+wife) not to fight that long in a Cherokee.

Ive never owned, so that is a factor. 10* cutoff here probably means a month of no flying due to temps (ignoring IMC) vs. probably most of the winter by you?

The -40C to +40C (-40F to 104F) is roughly the same range as the temperatures were when I trained in MN. The warmer days were socked in, of course...but when you'd get a cold snap, sometimes it wouldn't get above zero for a few weeks straight. Beautiful, clear skies, though!! That happened roughly five or six times per normal winter. Sometimes, it'd be colder than normal, and it wouldn't get above 10F for a month or longer, but sometimes it'd be warmer than normal and below zero wouldn't come until middle of February.

The plane I flew didn't have a "cold-temperature cut-off", but my CFI did. :D If it was below zero when we started and ended, she was not a happy camper. She was a transplant from Kansas, though, so she got some mercy. ;) To her credit, she did fly with me a few times when it was zero degrees with a forecasted high of 1*F, and it was -3F without wind chill when we landed. That was a cold, cold fuel-up. The DA was amazing, though, and the Archer climbed like a homesick angel. She also flew with me on Fourth of July when it was 99F in the shade and sunny. That did not result in a climb-out worth writing home about it and I'm pretty sure we both could have wrung our shirts out after we got done...

I still would have landed. The unusual grinding noise would have made me uncomfortable.

THIS is what would have sealed the deal for me. If the engine sounded fine but the tach read wrong, and that was it, I’d have been fairly confident that an indicator failure was all that was going on. I might have landed at the nearest airport anyway but would have at least considered returning home. But if I heard an unusual noise and didn’t know the cause, combined with these two other conditions (tach failure plus lethal temps), I’m landing at the nearest safe runway. That’s three links, I’m not waiting for more.

Happened to me with an electronic tach. Everything else was good so I took a short video of what the tach was doing and sent it to my A&P in-flight. He thought it was an instrument issue and I’d be fine and have it checked at home which was only another 30 minutes or so. It was an instrument issue. All good. But without that opinion nearly immediately I would have likely landed to figure it out.

Indicator failures are pretty common, I had issues with my manifold pressure, I continued on. This is where an engine monitor is priceless, you can check it for other indicators of engine problems.

I once broke the needle off my manifold pressure gauge doing acro.

man pressure (2).jpg

This thread has actually helped me make up my mind on an avionics decision I was pondering. I want to install an engine monitor. Was going to spend the extra $$ for an EMS approved as Primary so that I could remove my steam gauges. But now I am thinking I go for the less expensive JPI 830 and keep all the old gauges for 100% redundancy.

This thread has actually helped me make up my mind on an avionics decision I was pondering. I want to install an engine monitor. Was going to spend the extra $$ for an EMS approved as Primary so that I could remove my steam gauges. But now I am thinking I go for the less expensive JPI 830 and keep all the old gauges for 100% redundancy.
but don't they share at least some of the sensors and transducers...and maybe even some of the wiring?
even if it's not 100%, it's something!
& I sort of agree with that logic...in that I like redundancy. I also appreciate analog instrumentation for many things much more than digital....but I also like data

but don't they share at least some of the sensors and transducers...and maybe even some of the wiring?
even if it's not 100%, it's something!
& I sort of agree with that logic...in that I like redundancy. I also appreciate analog instrumentation for many things much more than digital....but I also like data

Depends on the gauges and the EMS. In my case, I have old school mechanical gauges, which have completely different means of measurement:
  • Tach is cable from engine. EMS is sensor on magneto.
  • Manifold Pressure is tubing from engine manifold to pressure gauge. EMS is T in same tubing with pressure sensor.
  • Oil Temp is capillary tube from engine to gauge. EMS is sensor in separate port in engine.
  • Oil Press is tubing from engine to pressure gauge. EMS is T in same tubing with pressure sensor.
  • Fuel pressure is tubing from fuel servo to pressure gauge. EMS fuel flow is transducer on fuel line from servo to injectors.

Update about the situation: We got a replacement tach cable, pulled the old one out and the mechanic said the old one is actually in pretty good shape, better shape than the used replacement unit. We put it all back together and did a run-up. Same thing, needle was bouncing, weird grinding noise but engine seemed fine. Since the airport I landed at isn't the most pleasant place for GA pilots (have you ever heard of a $200 "door opening fee"? - and no, I'm not talking about after hours, I'm talking about regular business hours), the local mechanic suggested I should fly the plane to his private strip 10 minutes north of the airport and he can put it in a hangar for me and fix the issue. I did my run up and the RPM indicated somewhat reliably. I line up, full power, lift off and suddenly the that grinding noise is back but this time constantly and then stopped, needle to 0, engine purring nicely and the rest of flight to the mechanic's field was uneventful. The tach is shot.

The mechanic suggested to replace both, the tach and the tach cable as a broken tach can damage the tach cable. Now, I'm having a few questions:

I want to replace the tach with another mechanical one. I don't want an electronic one yet as I'm looking to upgrade my panel in a year or two with full engine monitoring so whatever I'm putting in now, only has to last a year or two. I found a used, serviceable tach locally but I was going to order the cable from Aircraft Spruce. Which one do I buy? This is what AS has: https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/inpages/tachcables.php?clickkey=4551

How long should the cable be and most of all, do I need left lay or right lay? It's a 1966 Cherokee 140 with a Lycoming 0-320 which has the 160 HP STC.

I'd talk to your A&P about parts and technical questions like left or right lay. Maybe one of the A&Ps on here would know, but it seems like talking to the guy doing the work would be smart.

If it were me, I would have continued flight. But I also fly single engine at night, and in IMC, and over Lake Michigan. Sometimes all on the same flight.

Back