Would you be interested in some form of back-up propulsion for your piston single? If yes, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

How much would you pay to have a back-up?

• 10-20% of engine overhaul cost.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 76-100% of engine overhaul cost.

• Even more than what it would take to overhaul the engine, I would really like the added safety.

• Total voters
How do you propose to keep my 3600lb plane aloft for 10 minutes with a weight of 150 lbs? This doesn't exist because of physics, not cost. There's already an expensive backup propulsion system available....it's called a twin.

Now, if a BRS were available for my plane, I'd be very interested.
BRS is available for EAB. The certified world is SOL pretty much.

my idea is for a rocket motor in the prop spinner so when you land you go from 70 to 0 in a few feet... but most engine mounts hate compression.

my idea is for a rocket motor in the prop spinner so when you land you go from 70 to 0 in a few feet... but most engine mounts hate compression.
Rapid deceleration is the problem, not the solution.

Last edited:
Oh really? They are available as STC'd installations for several certified aircraft models. Their website seems to be down right now so I can't get the Approved Models List.

Off the top of my head I know they're available for the 172/182 on the certified side. 20k in parts, 80-90 lbs. Not aware of anything else with an FAA certification (besides Cirrus).

FB_IMG_1710924152804.jpg
Looks like PW Canada beat you to the market. Good luck with the GenAv market.

Back