Would ya'll in the Midwest......

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
.....quit ****ing off the storm gods and then sending it my way. Trying to leave for KS this morning. Not feeling real good about it plus the winds are going to make a slow trip. I'm off to call a briefer.

OBTW, hope everyone's okay from yesterday's storms.

.....quit ****ing off the storm gods and then sending it my way. Trying to leave for KS this morning. Not feeling real good about it plus the winds are going to make a slow trip. I'm off to call a briefer.
Kaye, we certainly seem to be doing something to irritate them, don't we.

Where in KS are you going? Stop by here! The storms are headed right for us this morning, but they should be gone by the time you get here...maybe. We were having an acro fly-in at the farm today, then we downsized it to a few Citabrias (and Joe and Viveca).

If you run into weather, there is hangar space at PTS and we will come get you.

I can say "thank you" this morning. For once, my flights through DFW yesterday and this morning were not delayed due to the weather. The fright from DFW back to IAD later this AM may be a different matter, judging from the airmet/sigmet map.

Kaye, I hope you make it out! Good luck!

We were having an acro fly-in at the farm today, then we downsized it to a few Citabrias (and Joe and Viveca).

Thanks for the invite neighbor, Kelly and I where looking for something to do today, but now I have to mow. :D

Thanks for the invite neighbor, Kelly and I where looking for something to do today, but now I have to mow. :D
I figured it would get rained out. As a matter of fact, it's raining now. You better get to mowing quick before it gets there! :D

Well, I've talked to briefers, watched the wx, visited the airport, watched the wx, chatted with other pilots, and now I'm home. Just not what I want to go play in. So I'll leave first thing in the morning.......I hope......

Viveca and I are in Santa Fe weather here is real nice.

The plan WAS to head up to Kansas then over to Diana & Tom's today but the weather up there doesn't look good.

So we're staying here for another day or two. We're from Southern California, we don't have real weather there.

Joe

CovectiveOutlook_0531.gif

HailOutlook_0531.gif

Well, I've talked to briefers, watched the wx, visited the airport, watched the wx, chatted with other pilots, and now I'm home. Just not what I want to go play in. So I'll leave first thing in the morning.......I hope......

Sorry, Kaye, no-gos are always disappointing. :(

We have all been there at one time or another. Kelly and I got stuck in Oklahoma for two days cause of weather. My boss was a little more understanding than hers. Her boss thought she was using that as an excuse for getting a couple extra days added to the weekend. My boss looked at it as a vacation for him.

Viveca and I are in Santa Fe weather here is real nice.

The plan WAS to head up to Kansas then over to Diana & Tom's today but the weather up there doesn't look good.

Well, we've had thunder and lightening for the past several hours and another round is coming. We'll hold off on those BBQ ribs till you get here. :)

Tomorrow may be a bit damp too:

KJLN 311720Z 311818 28005KT 6SM TSRA BR BKN045CB OVC080
FM2100 13005KT P6SM SCT250
FM0500 11005KT P6SM VCTS BKN040CB OVC100
FM1400 17005KT P6SM VCTS BKN040CB OVC100

Just got a call from the Citabria guys over at PTS and they are anxious to fly over today sometime, so we'll just have a smaller version of a fly-in. We'll fix them hamburgers and not your ribs. :D

Hope to see ya soon Joe.

Kaye,

Given what has come through the DC area since noon, you made a really good choice....

Kaye,

Given what has come through the DC area since noon, you made a really good choice....

Yep, it was a little loud and flashy around here for awhile.....

Sorry, Kaye, no-gos are always disappointing. :(

Yeah Ted your right ...BUT nothing beats making that no go decision and then having the conditions confirm you were right. Ironically many of mine were to IPT. I'd be up there for Court a lot and make the NG Decision then when I got up there driving up Rt 15 with the Mtns all up in the clouds I had a big smile on my face.

Yeah Ted your right ...BUT nothing beats making that no go decision and then having the conditions confirm you were right. Ironically many of mine were to IPT. I'd be up there for Court a lot and make the NG Decision then when I got up there driving up Rt 15 with the Mtns all up in the clouds I had a big smile on my face.

The flip side is making the NoGo and then driving under CAVU....:(

:dunno::dunno::dunno: They get ribs??? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

(They're missing out on Tom's hamburgers!!!) :yes:
We'll heat up the ones he grilled today for the Citabria fly-in guys. :D We had a swarm of Citabrias land here and then we went out flying around together. :D

Joe, Lamar is under a tornado warning right now. :eek: It's probably a good thing your Cirrus isn't parked there tonight. It's getting dicey out there and we're ready to head to the furnace room. There's more drama going on, but I gotta go.

We'll heat up the ones he grilled today for the Citabria fly-in guys. :D We had a swarm of Citabrias land here and then we went out flying around together. :D

Joe, Lamar is under a tornado warning right now. :eek: It's probably a good thing your Cirrus isn't parked there tonight. It's getting dicey out there and we're ready to head to the furnace room. There's more drama going on, but I gotta go.
Diana & Tom,

You guys be careful. This trip is much different, the first thing I'm looking at is the convective outlook. And hail and tornados are there.

Chip -- What is the name of the place with the deep fried biscuits and the great steaks we went to last year? That place was really good.

Viveca and I are easy to cook to for. I'm good with whatever they make.

Joe

Not only the storms but when they leave the mosquitoes. They are eating me alive right now. The spray just seams to tick them off. They are rather tasty though, I trapped a handful flipping the steaks on the grill everyone wondered why I put so many spices on.:goofy:

Dan

Diana & Tom,

You guys be careful. This trip is much different, the first thing I'm looking at is the convective outlook. And hail and tornadoes are there.
Well, you missed some drama. I think I'm moving away from this place. There are still severe storm warnings for us.

My friend Barb called me from the Lamar airport and asked me to check the radar. A friend of hers was flying his Supercub from Denver and was planning to land at Lamar about 8:30 or 9:00 and it was past 9:00 by then. I looked at the radar and said he was going to have a struggle to get around the line of storms to get there. In the meantime I told her where there was a hidden key to get into Zach's hangar where you were going to keep the Cirrus. She finally found the key, but then there were tornado warnings for Lamar, so I called her back and told her to find a basement. So, she was driving into Lamar to find shelter. Then I heard a distinct seven clicks on the scanner and ran to the radio because I just knew it was her friend and then called her. I found the Icom and called in the blind on 122.9 to anyone landing at Lamar and sure enough, it was her friend landing. He said he was on left base for runway 3. I looked out the window and there was lightening everywhere. So I called him on the radio and told him that I would call her back and tell her that he made it to Lamar. In the meantime there were severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings for Lamar.

So, she headed back for the airport and I told him on the radio where to taxi. Then I called her back with instructions as to how to get into Zach's hangar.

I called her later to give her an update on the tornado warnings and she said that a highway patrol guy stopped and helped them get the Supercub into Zach's hangar. Funnel clouds had already been spotted in the area.

Last I heard they were headed for shelter. Meanwhile we spent time in the furnace room since the tornado was supposedly headed for us.

So far, we are OK tonight, but more storms are coming.

Joe, I don't think that we could have all fit into the furnace room, plus the two kitties. This is one of those times where I long to live somewhere without such drama.

Last edited:
I got to drive through a bunch of that junk. The 496 was going nuts with all the Severe T-Storm and Tornado warnings. I just missed one near the IL/MO border I guess, I stopped at a truck stop that had lost their power when the tornado(s?) went through.

All I saw was some crazy rain, winds, and hail. And a jackknifed tanker truck.

All in a day's work for me. :yes: It sure seems like there's been a lot of nasty stuff the last couple of weeks, but compared to the winter we just had, I'll take it.

Well, it's Sunday. Was shooting for a 7:00 wheels up, and was only 5 minutes late. Some where around 3000' there's a drip on the center console....coming in from a wire and dripping down the avionics stack. Grab a towel to catch drips......smells a little oily, a very light feel to it. Look at the compass that sits on top, but it looks okay. Level off at 8000, and hoped drip would go away, but no luck. So told Potomac I needed to go back to JYO.

During descent, it almost quit dripping. One last drop on final, and now on the ground it's totally dry. Compass still looks full.

Of course, no one's around to look at it. Thinking I might go up again and see what happens. :dunno:

That really does sound like the compass, since it's often filled with kerosene. Either that or its condensate from previous weather. There aren't any fuel lines or such going through that area.

So far, we are OK tonight, but more storms are coming.

Joe, I don't think that we could have all fit into the furnace room, plus the two kitties. This is one of those times where I long to live somewhere without such drama.
Wow Diana!

I'm glad that wasn't us coming in with funnel clouds in the air. I'm glad they made it safely.

We're still in Santa Fe, having fun, looking at a big wall of weather blocking our path. Weather here is great.

Joe

Just did a test flight. 3500 starts to drip, gets serious at 5000' And I'm now starting to see the hint of bubbles at the top of the compass. Checking around for a maint dude, but guessing it won't get fixed until tomorrow, if I'm lucky. At least I'm not late for Gaston's! But my sister sure is disappointed. Hopefully I'll still get a couple of days with her.

Yep - outside pressure lessens, compass starts to leak. Unless it's an easy fix - then you have to have an instrument repair station fix the compass (or just replace it). On the other hand, you might be able to calibrate the leak against the altitude, and now have an extra altimeter - the more it smells and the wetter you are, the higher you are!

Hope you can get it repaired quickly.

We're still in Santa Fe, having fun, looking at a big wall of weather blocking our path. Weather here is great.

Joe
You are making wise decisions. :D But...we are eating all your food. ;) Today we are eating your baked ham, lightly steamed asparagus, and portabella mushrooms sautéed in wine and butter.

(Just kidding about the asparagus and mushrooms...we'll wait till you get here for that.)

OH, and we had 2 1/4 inches of rain during the night and the creek came up, but not all the way to the house.

Checking around for a maint dude, but guessing it won't get fixed until tomorrow, if I'm lucky. At least I'm not late for Gaston's!
Kaye, I hope you get it fixed in time to make it to Gaston's! :yes:

Just did a test flight. 3500 starts to drip, gets serious at 5000' And I'm now starting to see the hint of bubbles at the top of the compass. Checking around for a maint dude, but guessing it won't get fixed until tomorrow, if I'm lucky. At least I'm not late for Gaston's! But my sister sure is disappointed. Hopefully I'll still get a couple of days with her.

You don't need no stinkin' compass. :goofy: Point southwest and go. :yes: JYO dir 3M0. See ya there kiddo :wineglass:

:blueplane:

You don't need no stinkin' compass. :goofy: Point southwest and go. :yes: JYO dir 3M0. See ya there kiddo :wineglass:

:blueplane:
IMO--It'd probably be a good idea to hold off until the compass is fixed as it's pouring a fuel down into the panel which could short out who knows what.

IMO--It'd probably be a good idea to hold off until the compass is fixed as it's pouring a fuel down into the panel which could short out who knows what.

Kerosene won't short anything out and it's fairly difficult to ignite accidentally, but I wouldn't want it dripping on my expensive avionics either.

Kerosene is more difficult to ignite than gasoline, but with a flash point of ~100° F, it is easy enough to touch off with a spark. A warm day & warm avionics can make that temperature easily.

Unmount the compass, you can get gaskets and o-ring kits from aircraft spruce, reseal (might just need to tighten some screws) and fill with compass fluid aka clear lamp oil, naptha... put it under your pillow and let the compass fairy take care of it then put it back in.

Well, I'm in HGR getting the compass fixed. It started leaking immediately when I started up I think due to the pressure change since yesterday. As soon as they're done, I'm headed west. Don't know if I'll make Topeka......wx sure looks nasty there right now, and if it heads east...:dunno:

Another adventure on the way!

That's why I prefer actually using Jack Daniel's in the 'whiskey' compass. If you get stuck somewhere b/c it starts leaking, at least you can have a small shot to ease your sorrows. :rofl: :)

Well, I'm in HGR getting the compass fixed. It started leaking immediately when I started up I think due to the pressure change since yesterday. As soon as they're done, I'm headed west. Don't know if I'll make Topeka......wx sure looks nasty there right now, and if it heads east...:dunno:

Another adventure on the way!
Kaye, where art thou?

Kaye, where art thou?

y'all just keep insisting on ****ing off the storm gods....i'm safe and sound and having a beer at my brother's in elkhart, in. my sister is going to hate me.....:(

and no, i didn't have to go to EKM, but why stay at hotel in IL if i can get treated like a princess at my brother's. :cheerswine:

y'all just keep insisting on ****ing off the storm gods....i'm safe and sound and having a beer at my brother's in elkhart, in. my sister is going to hate me.....:(

and no, i didn't have to go to EKM, but why stay at hotel in IL if i can get treated like a princess at my brother's. :cheerswine:
What do you mean a hotel!? We have a perfectly fine guest room!:yes:

What do you mean a hotel!? We have a perfectly fine guest room!:yes:

Well, sheesh, silly me, I didn't even think about that. I was just so glad to get the airplane headed west!

Back