Would the 182 be a good plane to buy to get my instrument training in?

checkride.info

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CheckRide.Info
I have been wanting to get my instrument rating, but don't want to spend the extra $185 an hour to rent the instrument trainer. The airport out here has a Piper Arrow as their complex trainer. It's a nice little plane, but man, I can apply that $185, minus fuel costs, to owning a plane, I am thinking about going that route.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

You can do IR in ANY plane that has the required equipment. I'm going to start working on my IR in my skyhawk for $70 hr

I don't know much about 182s though, so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Any aircraft with the requisite equipment will do fine for Instrument training.

I'm a dyed in the wool happy man with my co-owned 182 and could gush on and on about what I like about 182s.

But frankly it's just going to cost you more per hour to burn holes in the sky at 90 knots down an ILS with a hood on flying a 182 vs doing it in something else.

If your goal is the IR, fly whatever is available that'll haul your buns aloft for the cheapest you dare on the "well maintained" to "barely flying" rental fleet.

If your goal is to fly a very nice airplane around and the IR is secondary, buy the 182. ;)

The world looks the same under a hood or Foggles in just about any single-engine bugsmasher cockpit at 90 knots. Unless of course, you have money to burn and like G1000 or other glass panels.

There's also a twinge of "old fart" in me that says "train like you're going to fight". If you're dead certain you'll own a particular type of aircraft outfitted a certain way, or always rent a particular type, fly that or something darn close to it for your training. But cockpits are standard enough (foregoing the above-mentioned glass panel birds) that you're unlikely to meet a panel one day in the clouds that doesn't have all the usual instruments in all the usual places.

One other exception is really old "shotgun" panels with instruments in strange places. If you're going to own or regularly fly one of those in conditions known to attempt to reach up and smite thee out of the sky, do some focused training behind that odd-ball panel.

Nothing wrong at all with buying a 182, but it's wholly unnecessary to step up to a faster, higher load-carrying Cessna before you actually want to go faster, carrying more stuff. That is, of course if you've not yet hit the middle-aged paunch and don't need the additional horsepower to carry your buns aloft, of which I'm borderline.

Me and a well fed CFI in a Skyhawk are going to both need to get comfortable with our sweaty arms touching the whole flight, and leave the tanks less than full at all times. So in my case, I'll put the "bigger airplane" requirement on myself right up front.

But if I weren't already a co-owner, I'd grin and bear the sweaty arm and fuel load calculations to save a few bucks to spend on the airplane of my dreams, later on...

If I were chasing the certificate for a real need. I'm chasing it for fun and challenge so it's hard to get excited about using a pry-bar to wedge myself in and out of an airplane that's going to be near max gross for every takeoff unless I find an instructor who's a twig. Kinda messes up the "dollar to fun" ratio. ;)

P.S. You don't need an Arrow either. ;) Is there really only one IFR equipped trainer at your airport??

I spent a lot of time trucking around in C-172 and one creampuff C-172RG before I took a hiatus from aviation, and later stumbled into co-ownership of the 182. Flew a C-172 Denver to Houston and back and an old but well-maintained Mooney M-20C on the same route.

The Mooney was a bit tight for my tastes but was fast for the horsepower and once you're "wedged in" you really don't notice the small cabin much.

Hopefully you also have access to a certified simulator too. That'll save you a bundle.

182 is a very nice airplane for flying instruments

I did most of my instrument training in C-172's, but did fly a C-182 some. The 182 is a great airplane to learn in. It burns a little more gas though. I didn't buy until after I had the IR, then bought a C-172. The 172 is a good instrument platform in my opinion, say about a 6 on a scale of 1-10. I think the 182 is probably about a 9 as far as aircraft of that general size are concerned. Great airplane.

Owned an IFR 182 for ten years... It's a truck... Basically will lift anything you can close the doors on - especially if you are not anal compulsive about the regs... Fuel efficient it is NOT... Cost effective it is NOT...

Owning a plane costs money, - payments, interest, maintenance, annuals, fuel, oil, filters, hangar, insurance, unexpected repairs...
IF you are not pushing close to 200 hours a year, rent...
Renting/owning a 172 or even a 152 will get your IR rating at far less cost...
Joining a club will do it also...

denny-o who is owned by a clapped out Apache

Seeing as you're going to be with it, I think it's wise to train in any plane you buy as long as its certified for the training you do in it.

If you're planning to buy a 182 and fly it, then getting your IR in one (especially the one you're buying) would be a very good idea. Just make sure you get enough time in the 182 before starting the IR training that you are familiar and comfortable with it.

If you're planning to buy a 182 and fly it, then getting your IR in one (especially the one you're buying) would be a very good idea. Just make sure you get enough time in the 182 before starting the IR training that you are familiar and comfortable with it.

I'll second this opinion with an emphasis on getting some time in it. Things happen a little faster and, when you first transition to it, it might be harder for you to hold altitude or control a constant rate descent/climb due to the higher performance.

I wanted a nice traveling airport to use with my IR so with a fresh private ticket and about 115 hours in my log book, I bought a Commander 115 and got my rating in that. It probably took me an extra 6 - 8 hours to catch up with the airplane but in the end, it was worth it to me. And, I had a great airplane for VFR traveling in the mean time.

I've done a fair amount of my IR training in a 182 and am finishing up in a 172. Why? The 182 has an ADF and the 172 has a 430W. I'd rather deal with the approach certified GPS during the ride than the ADF and an NDB approach. And the hourly cost differential in the club is only about $20, so for me that isn't an issue. But I'm comfortable in either plane. And if I were getting my own and cost wasn't a deciding issue, I'd get a 182 rather than a 172 simply because it is so much more comfortable.

[snip]

I wanted a nice traveling airport to use with my IR [snip]

I know this is a typo but it really struck me funny. What a great concept: a traveling airport. No worries over different runway configurations, confusing taxiway diagrams, which FBO etc. It's the SAME airport wherever you go...

John

I know this is a typo but it really struck me funny. What a great concept: a traveling airport. No worries over different runway configurations, confusing taxiway diagrams, which FBO etc. It's the SAME airport wherever you go...

John
Yes, because PittsDriver is the Greatest Pilot in the World:goofy:

The 182 is a great plane for flying instruments.

However, do NOT buy a 182 just to get your instrument rating in. Buy the plane you want after you have your instrument rating, and get the instrument rating in it. By the time you're done, you'll not only have the dual hours your insurance company wants, you'll be intimately familiar with it. So, if you want a Bonanza or a Cirrus, buy it now. If you actually want a 182 long-term (and it is a great bird), then by all means, go for it! The only drawbacks are that it'll burn more gas than a 172/Archer/etc. and it has an extra knob for you to worry about - And yes, when you're doing instrument training you'll be in full overload mode if you've got an even halfway decent CFII, so that blue knob can make a much bigger difference than you'd think.

Yes.

That's one of the primary reasons I bought mine. There are several other reasons, but to answer your question . . . IMHO, YES!

Assuming we're not all living The Return of Mad Max in the next few years, there may be a Bonanza in my future--otherwise the 182 fulfills all my flying needs. Perhaps yours, too. :wink2:

Back