Would love to go overseas...

cwoods798

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chris W.
Hey guys and gals, quick question. I have looked online for a reputable source to answer my question but have yet to find one so you guys are my last chance...Do foreign airlines hire American pilots? Just curious becuase I really wouldnt mind moving to Chile or somewhere else in south America but want to continue flying as well. Hope everyones well today!

Hey guys and gals, quick question. I have looked online for a reputable source to answer my question but have yet to find one so you guys are my last chance...Do foreign airlines hire American pilots? Just curious becuase I really wouldnt mind moving to Chile or somewhere else in south America but want to continue flying as well. Hope everyones well today!
Not sure about chilie specifically, but some definitely do. I constantly get emails to go fly in China. No thanks. I also know Emerates hires Americans. Again, no thanks.

Don't get me wrong... Many people do enjoy that lifestyle. I just don't think I would be happy, and I'm positive my wife wouldn't be.

Last edited:
China and the Middle East, there are companies that help with placement.

Yea its a definite NO with the Middle East and a no for CHina too probably. Wouldnt mind somewhere in latin america

Yea its a definite NO with the Middle East and a no for CHina too probably. Wouldnt mind somewhere in latin america

Just a guess, but I'm betting that would be tougher.

Being an Expat pilot has it's challenges. First of all, it depends upon your qualifications. If you are typed in a particular airline's type and have substantial PIC time, that get's you an interview. Anything below that level and you aren't even going to be talked with.

Foreign airlines have all of the FO's they need locally.

The next big challenge is the cultures. Do not think, for one second, that the locals are anyway, shape or form, impressed that you want to come work for them. As an expat you are there only because they can't find enough local talent to fill the seat. You are definitely a minority and will be treated as such. Someone once told me "As an expat you are relevant until you're not". I've never forgot those words, and that is a spot on assessment.

Pretty much all of Europe is out of reach. FAA->EASA ATPL conversion is nigh on impossible.

Back