Worst Flight

Engine failure on take-off in rented Piper 140. Cleared the wires at the end of the runway. Landed on the mains in a small field but flipped over when the nose wheel grabbed the soft ground. Cut the back off my hand bending the door to get out. Plane was totaled. Lessons learned; always scout out a place to put down if needed. Planes do not feel pain and are insured. Always smell the fuel sample.

Engine failure on take-off in rented Piper 140. Cleared the wires at the end of the runway. Landed on the mains in a small field but flipped over when the nose wheel grabbed the soft ground. Cut the back off my hand bending the door to get out. Plane was totaled. Lessons learned; always scout out a place to put down if needed. Planes do not feel pain and are insured. Always smell the fuel sample.

You did all you could do from my understanding. If your not over the 1000ft mark you generally don't want to do the 180. As for the scouting, not sure it will do you any good in your situation because again, all you can really do is land somewhere around the runway heading due to the whole not being able to make the runway thing.

Of course I could be inaccurate, which is why im thinking out loud. I know if im wrong someone will tell me, lol.

Always smell the fuel sample.

Someone peed in your tank!? :hairraise:

(Seriously never heard this one before, can you explain a little more?. I like the smell of fuel so I wouldn't mind doing it!)

I do three things with my fuel samples:
  1. Look for water at the bottom. It's easy to spot.
  2. Hold it against the white paint and make sure it's blue. Misfueling will show up, and I'll notice if the entire sample is water, too.
  3. Smell it to make sure it's really avgas. Kerosene has a distinct odor.
Then I either pour it out or back in.

Only found water once, as a primary student, and it took several samples to get rid of it all. Still check both tanks, every time.

My worst flight was observing in the back seat of a Duchess while the guys upfront were going through the routine.

They were doing engine out pattern work. Left pattern with a simulated left engine failure producing zero thrust. The guy was all over the place. He didn't use any rudder trim to help him out or pay much attention to the ball in the first place. Just totally behind the airplane.

So, we're moving along and he turns base, but as he goes to turn to final, I see him rolling into a 45 degree turn maintained with left rudder and opposite aileron - the perfect cross-controlled configuration. I look down and see the ball completely deflected to the right side and the airspeed deteriorating well below the blue line. I got up from my seat and yelled for the instructor to take the damn airplane. He did and laughed because I got nervous.

Had he yanked the nose up, I'm sure that we would have drove it into the ground 400 feet below us. The worst feeling was seeing the mistakes piling up and not being able to do anything about it. We taxied to the ramp. I got out and sat down in the flight school for a few minutes..

I'll never observe a multi engine flight again.

Low fuel situation:

I was flying from the Austin area to El Paso in my Arrow. Endurance was 4hrs 45 minutes. After passing Wink I ran into sustained 70 knot headwinds. Trucks below me were passing me on the interstate.

I landed at Horizon on the outskirts. It took 45.5 gallons (48 gallon tanks).:no:

I wish I could say the same!

I had a flight, recently, where I was asked to drop someone off in Taos, New Mexico. The weather was dropping quickly and I was adamant to leave as soon as I dropped them off (they were picking up a plane.) asked me to wait for them to test fly the plane and it still had some issues so they decided to fly back with me. I refused because I did not feel comfortable flying in the weather, so I sat in the backseat as he decided to fly home - once airborne the ceiling was low and we could not find anywhere to break through. Ended up back at Taos - but it was the scariest 10 minute flight of my life and the other passenger in the plane (also a pilot) was crying from being so scared. I was never so happy as to land on the ground that day - and every time I think about that flight I get a sick feeling in my stomach.

:hairraise::hairraise::hairraise:

Maybe the other two hotshots should have listened to the girl pilot!

I'm just a student pilot with low hours but did make one terrible mistake so far that I will admit to. On one of my XC's I forgot to put my seat belt on. I hit a big bump climbing out head hit the ceiling lost my headset in the process and got very disoriented for a few seconds. I will never do that again!

I'm just a student pilot with low hours but did make one terrible mistake so far that I will admit to. On one of my XC's I forgot to put my seat belt on. I hit a big bump climbing out head hit the ceiling lost my headset in the process and got very disoriented for a few seconds. I will never do that again!

A friend got caught in some really bad wake turbulence (no where near an airport!). He blacked out and the pilot's noggin went through the headliner. The pilot was wearing a ball cap, and there was an indentation in the skin of the aircraft of the button on the cap.

They landed OK but insurance totaled the aircraft.

Seriously never heard this one before, can you explain a little more?. I like the smell of fuel so I wouldn't mind doing it!

I'm surprised to hear you've never been taught why you should smell your fuel samples. Every primary CFI I've had was familiar with this pre-flight practice, and every introductory textbook I've read has explained it.

See, for example, the FAA's Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, p. 2-5:
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/. Or Cessna's Cleared for Takeoff, p. 1-11.

I'm surprised to hear you've never been taught why you should smell your fuel samples. Every primary CFI I've had was familiar with this pre-flight practice, and every introductory textbook I've read has explained it.

There are alternative tests for kerosene that may work better.

Keronsene feels oily and doesn't evaporate nearly as easily as gasoline.

And it's not blue….

So the color test is good enough?

I might still smell it, like I said, I like it, and when someone asks "WTF are you doing?, are you a gas junkie?", I can give a good answer.

What happens if you mix jet fuel with 100LL? Won't you still smell the avgas? Won't the color still be somewhat blue depending on the mixture %?

Worst flight had to have been what started out to be a normal training flight. I took off out of KMDH and it was a windy and gusty day but nothing I wasn't used to. I went out and did maneuvers for 1.3 and headed back to the airport. I was cleared to land on 18R and just as I began my flare the winds switched from a crosswind to almost a direct tailwind. This caused me to balloon and touch down way further down the runway than intended, and had to slam on my brakes to keep my aircraft from overshooting the end. Scared the hell out of me.

One of my CFI's also told me to always sniff the fuel. He said he knew of a case where the fuel was sumped and it was not obvious from the sample but you could smell the Jet A and it turned out it had been topped off with Jet A. So no first hand experience but I like to learn from other peoples mistakes.

A friend got caught in some really bad wake turbulence (no where near an airport!). He blacked out and the pilot's noggin went through the headliner. The pilot was wearing a ball cap, and there was an indentation in the skin of the aircraft of the button on the cap.

They landed OK but insurance totaled the aircraft.
Smart pilots take a pair of diagonal cutters to all their ball caps and snip the button. The button is not structural taking it off is not a problem. Hurts less and less likely to hurt the airplane.

Smart pilots take a pair of diagonal cutters to all their ball caps and snip the button. The button is not structural taking it off is not a problem. Hurts less and less likely to hurt the airplane.

Dah, I do that to mine, but I am a bit unusual in that regard.

Lakeland FL to Conroe TX after Sun N Fun 2010:

Had a 30-40 knot headwind flying in our Cessna 185 Amphib which did not have altitude hold. Average cruise was around 85 knots in a normally 120 knot plane and talk about turbulence. Took us a tad over 6 hours to get there and a little over 10 hours to get home. It was exhausting to say the least.

:rofl: If that was your worst flight, you have a charmed life lol. In over 2500 hrs now, I've had a functional autopilot for about 25, and many of my flights have been coast to coast.

"Smart pilots"

Sporty's sell hats without buttons. Newer DC headsets have a button slot in the clamp strap.

With my Halos, I often wear a wide-brim hat in summer, and a wool Indiana-Jones-type hat in winter. No buttons on those, either, but won't work with a clamp-on headset.

On my solo cross country! The throttle linkage malfunctioned and couldn't reduce power to idle...had to land with engine off. Called my instructor and he asked me to fly home. I was 17, and obeyed. On approach to KPAO, they diverted me to the jet runway at San Jose International Airport. They closed the whole airport for me in my Cherokee 140! Once again, I shut off the engine and flared way too high (I had never landed before on a 1 mile wide runway).

12 fire trucks followed me to transient.

Should not have listened to my instructor!!!! Always wondered if he had some 'splaining to do to the Flight School and FAA.

How did you taxi if you couldn't reduce power?

Standby for uber-long post. This may not be the worst flight ever, but it's pretty memorable for me. I've cut and pasted from a book project I've been working on - which will probably never be more than a project, but anyway here goes:

One fine winter day in Iceland we drove to work in gale force winds while snow dumped down like monsoon rains. We went through the motions of briefing a two versus two intercept ride, but in everyone’s mind the weather was going to prevent us from flying. After the briefing, we went to the ops desk to get the official word that we were going to cancel for bad weather. The operations supervisor informed us that the weather was getting better and we should expect to fly. (we needed to burn off the flying hours of course – just another example of the pea-counters running the Air Force). So, off we went to wrestle ourselves into our poopy suits and other flying gear. Back at the desk, the ops supervisor warned us to keep an ear our for a weather recall if things got bad; he also gave me a hard look since I was the youngest guy in the flight – a reminder not to do anything stupid.

The weather had gotten marginally better and it had gotten brighter out – the perpetual twilight that passed for winter daylight at those latitudes. We skidded on icy taxiways out to runway 11, received our clearance for departure and slogged onto the runway. I was number four in the formation – the last guy. Number one and two lined up five hundred feet down the runway so that number three and I could get setup at the end of the runway and be able to hold our position with a bit of thrust if the wind blast from the lead element’s takeoff started pushing us back on the ice. I watched as the burners lit for number one – our squadron commander and a legend of the community – he disappeared into the snowy mist just after rotation; number two and three likewise. I released my breaks at the appropriate twenty second interval, felt the blowers light and I was off. We were executing a radar trail departure so each person locked the guy in front of him and used the radar to follow the leader through the weather. It is easier and safer than flying close formation in the nasty weather, so it is a common procedure. After assuring my gear and flaps were retracted, I locked number three, called “4’s tied” on the aux radio and entered the complete whiteout of a snow storm. We continued our climb out to the training airspace, all the while wondering how high we’d have to get before breaking out into blue sky. The weather shop told us that the maximum tops should be around twenty thousand feet. As we passed thirty five thousand without an end in sight, I reminded myself that being a weather guy must not be too hard since they rarely got it right yet there were never any consequences. We eventually climbed out of the clouds at thirty eight thousand feet. The Eagle is comfortable above forty, but it’s no fun if you have to stay there all day. We separate and start trying to get as much training as we can, with the red air in the 40-44 block and the blue air in the 45-49. After our third intercept, Keflavic approach called us.
Knife 21 this is Keflavic approach.

Go ahead Kef.

Yes, sorry to interrupt but the weather here is getting very very bad, you might want to come home now.

Oh ****. When the locals say the weather is getting bad, you know it’s getting B A D.

Knife: fence out, tapes off, cleared radar trail, push 1 aux.

We switch our aux radio to the supervisor of flying (SOF) frequency and check in with the SOF. He tells us that he’s been trying to get in touch with us for twenty minutes and to haul ass home because Keflavic is in the middle of a blizzard and the snow removal guys say they can’t keep the runway open more than another ten to fifteen minutes; all commercial traffic has already been diverted. The winds are picking up and are constantly shifting. He recommends we land on the closest runway.

Keflavic approach advises us to take vectors to the ILS runway 11. It is the only runway that they’ve been trying to keep open with the snow removal. We’re in the radar trail formation and right back into the weather at thirty eight thousand feet. I’m really glad the boss is leading, he always makes the right call so I’m feeling pretty good about our options. We have quite a bit of gas – enough to get to our next closest divert base – Stornoway, Scotland – over one thousand miles to the southeast across the frigid north Atlantic. An ops check revealed that we had too much gas to land safely on what was sure to be a slippery and very icy runway.

Knife, adjust gross weight to eleven thousand pounds”

Yikes, that’s cutting it pretty close – the boss just instructed us to dump gas out of our jets until we had eleven thousand pounds remaining. We are supposed to have ten thousand five hundred to make the divert profile to Stornoway. However, the general rule for a dry runway is no more than one thousand pounds of fuel for every thousand feet of runway – and this one is icy. The heavier we land, the faster we are going and the harder it is to stop. Ten thousand five hundred it is! I reach to the left and flip the dump switch, pause and then look over my right shoulder. Through the icy clouds I can make out a fog of JP8 streaming out the right wingtip. I’ve established myself comfortably at 2.2NM from number 3 and just got my approach plate out to start getting ready for the instrument approach back into Keflavic when the SOF busts through the aux radio with panic in his voice.

Knife1, SOF. Stop dumping gas NOW!”

Knife1, dump switch off.” Echo’s the boss We each respond as we quickly stop dumping fuel. 2….3…..4

“Knife1, SOF. I just checked the winds for the divert to Stornoway if you need it. The storm has raised the winds to over 150 knots in the face for your divert altitude. You’ll need at least twelve thousand five hundred pounds to make it there with those winds.”

Aux, Knife1 is eleven point seven” - already over eight hundred pounds short of what we need to make it to Scotland

2 same….3 same……” gulp “4 is eleven point three” ****, I’ve got less gas than everyone else. No freakin way am I going to make it to Scotland if I have to divert.

“SOF, Knife1. It looks like we are all landing at Kef today, I hope you have no more bad news
for us.”

The SOF didn’t have any more news, but that didn’t mean there wasn’t any. As we turned on our last vector to line up on final out over the bay, almost eight miles in front of me I hear lead ask approach what the winds were.

Knife1, Kef approach, winds are variable 330 to 030; 40 gust 52. Ceiling 250’ overcast with blowing snow. Knife flight you are cleared to land runway 11. Good luck.”

This is officially ****ty. Controllers never say “good luck”. The winds are now ninety degrees off where we want them which means we’ll be flying nearly sideways on final to the runway. This has quickly become a very serious emergency type situation. Passing four thousand feet I momentarily break out of the weather and I can see all the way to the ocean surface below me. It looked like something out of a science fiction movie. Even though I was still over twenty miles off shore, the seas were so agitated they looked about three feet deep. There were huge waves crashing into each other from opposite directions sending spray and foam skyward. I saw several ice chunks – (icebergs?) – bobbing in the pale green water.

I immediately became aware of how much I had been freaking out. Seeing that chaos below me in the ocean actually calmed me down. I reached down with my left hand and moved the ejection seat arming handle to SAFE. There was no way I was getting out of this jet unless I was back in the chocks at Keflavic, if something happened and I couldn’t land I wasn’t punching – I was going to die warm not in that sub-zero water trying to clamber my big ass into the tiny one-man raft attached to my seat kit. That took all the guesswork out of it, just fly this ILS until you see the runway and land. How hard was that? I’ve done that a thousand times.

The radios were completely quiet as we all intercepted the localizer, applied the appropriate heading corrections to track it inbound and waited for our turn to get the gear down and start the approach. Somewhere in there as I was studying the approach plate, making my corrections and assuring my radar was still locked to number three I went back into the weather. No more angry seas staring up at me, just white out conditions. I did notice a small amount of ice starting to develop on the front of the canopy and leading edges of the wings. Not much I can do about that, I’ll be on the runway or in a smoking hole by the time that ice is a factor.

Knife1, final approach fix, gear down, full stop”

Here we go! The seconds stretch into hours as we await some news about the approach conditions. If he never finds the field, we’ll hear him transmit that he is “missed approach” and then… well ****, I have no idea what will happen then. I hope I won’t have to find out.

Knife2, final approach fix, gear down, full stop.”

Still nothing from lead. My nerves are starting to perk up as I wonder what’s going on up there. I’m five miles from the final approach fix – time to configure for landing. I throw the gear handle down and reach around the throttle quadrant to flip the tiny flap switch to the down position. Feeling the gear lock into place, I verify my hydraulic pressure is good and both the gear and flaps indicate down and locked.

“Aux, Knife1 is on the deck. It’s sporty boys, but you can make it in. Runway will be WAY right on the canopy when you break out.”

Ok, finally some good news, the boss says we can do it. He knows I’m back here as the young wingman and if he says I can do it, it must not be that bad. Number two reports he’s down and broke out around three hundred feet, number three calls gear down; all too soon it’s my turn.

Knife4, final approach fix, gear down, full stop.”

The yellow steering needles on the ADI seem to dance all over the place as I start down the glidepath for runway 11. I can feel the wind gusts pick up; rocking the jet and pushing my heading off the mark. Constant corrections are required now in all three axes as I pass through fifteen hundred feet. I’ve never used this much heading correction to track an inbound course before, my mind keeps telling me I should be aligned with the inbound heading but my training is keeping me on track. It is freezing in the cockpit but sweat is pouring down my face.

Aux, Knife3 is on the deck. 4, skulls up it’s getting really slippery, take the cable if you need it.”

Great, slippery runway, heinous crosswinds, heavyweight jet, blowing snow, icing up canopy and wings, 100 hour wingman – what could go wrong? The needles get more sensitive as I approach decision height, passing five hundred feet I hazard a glance up at the HUD. I see more ice on the canopy and nothing but white out – back to the round dials! Every few milliseconds I glace up hoping to see runway, nothing but ice and cloud; back to the needles, check my airspeed, confirm the gear is down one last time, back to the needles, check the airspeed – over and over. Every second cycle I look up for the runway – nothing passing three hundred feet. I’ve got only seconds to make a decision if I do break out here, I’ve never been this low and still in the weather. At two hundred and fifty feet I look up and barely see something through the clouds. My peripheral vision catches a flashing light to my right, just then I’m out of the weather but there’s just rocks and snow in front of the HUD… I look to the right – almost behind the canopy bow to find the runway. I only have time to rip the power to IDLE, slam a full boot of right rudder in and correct with left and aft stick as I abruptly arrive on terra firma. I am now careening down this runway-cum-ice rink at 160 knots in a thirty seven thousand pound tricycle with very little braking action.

Aux, Knife4 is down, CABLE CABLE CABLE!!!!”

I reach up to flip the hook switch down but I can’t find the switch and I can’t take my eyes off the runway. I’m spending every ounce of concentration on reigning in my jet to settle down and find some braking action. At mid field I wrangle it down enough to relax the death grip I’ve had on both stick and seat cushion for the last thirty minutes. I skid to a stop on the runway; the snow is dumping in buckets and I can only see two Eagles from where I sit, I assume number one is somewhere beyond them and stopped at the end of the runway. Keflavic tower announced on guard that the airfield is closed to all traffic and the snow continued. I slumped back in the ejection seat and immediately knew I was going to get HAMMERED that night.

It took the snow plow guys over an hour to get the four of us back in the chocks. The snow didn’t stop for three days. By the end there were drifts over twenty feet high next to our dorms. During that storm, we rehashed that recovery a thousand times. We all make mistakes; the boss was kicking himself for not putting me – the youngest wingman – out front to ensure I could get down before he landed so I couldn’t get stuck airborne alone. I should’ve monitored my gas a bit more in relation to how far I was from the field. The more we talked about it, the more it scared me to realize the position I had been in. That was the first time it dawned on me that flying jets is fun and exciting but also could kill anyone, any day; even me.

Last edited:
Thanks for typing that up eagle. I think my ass puckered up just reading it.

I hope that project does become a book - Loved the story. Well done!

Thanks, I'm about 30K words into it, some of it has turned out ok but I've got a long way to go. I'll post it up if anything ever comes of it.

I've got about 3-5 stories like this one that are pretty well done (as far as writing/re-writing) - sometimes I send them to author friends of mine for some feedback. I don't know if I sent this one to anyone but you guys, so thanks for the positive words!

10/10 read, Eagle.

If your book prints, I'll be in line to pick it up.

Last edited:
I took a fiction writing course in college that gave me an appreciation for the difficulty of writing in a way that allows the reader to become absorbed in the story and forget about the writing. If you've ever had to read a book that is poorly written, you know what I mean.

Yours is a well-written story. I could envision the stormy seas beneath you. That's a tell-tale sign of a good writer.

Thanks, I'm about 30K words into it, some of it has turned out ok but I've got a long way to go. I'll post it up if anything ever comes of it.

I've got about 3-5 stories like this one that are pretty well done (as far as writing/re-writing) - sometimes I send them to author friends of mine for some feedback. I don't know if I sent this one to anyone but you guys, so thanks for the positive words!

Neat story, but the binders that keep the wheels from turning are brakes, not breaks.

This is a great thread. I just canceled my flight lessons and took myself out of ground school.

This is a great thread. I just canceled my flight lessons and took myself out of ground school.
What stories are you going to tell your grandkids?

"You won't have to cough and say, 'Well, your granddaddy shoveled **** in Louisiana.'" - Patton

Last edited:
One of my CFI's also told me to always sniff the fuel. He said he knew of a case where the fuel was sumped and it was not obvious from the sample but you could smell the Jet A and it turned out it had been topped off with Jet A. So no first hand experience but I like to learn from other peoples mistakes.

Yep. Forget the color, it's almost impossible to tell. Two ways you can notice: first, odor. Jet-A has a peculiar odor. Second, I use a paper towel test. Put some fuel on a paper towel and let evaporate. 100LL won't leave a stain, jet-A will leave an obvious trace. Don't ask how I know... a line guy topped off a TC piston twin with jet-A.

Back