Worst Flight

This is a great thread. I just canceled my flight lessons and took myself out of ground school.

What is the point of a life lived without risk? All human progress and entertainment comes from risk. Got a sweet 1.5 hours flying my paraglider today. Feel like superman.

What was your worst flight, either as PIC or passenger? This should be a flight in which every time you think about it you experience those nerves again.

Just curious.

I can't say either of my close calls were the 'worst' since I'm still here to tell about it.

One, on my 2-nd solo. Practicing touch-and-goes at my home airport, adding 'student pilot' to my calls, lots of mixed piston & jet traffic (this was before 9/11). Everything is going great, I'm feeling pretty confident, turn base, then final, then... tower tells me to turn off on a taxiway after landing I've never heard of and never been on with my CFI (turns out it's a short connector taxiway between the 2 parallels, close to the approach end). It didn't occur to me to say 'unable', I acknowledged, and proceeded to feverishly search my airport diagram for this taxiway. I'm now on very short final, still don't know where the taxiway is, I decide I've got to land first and sort it out on the ground (Bad idea). My stress level is through the roof, heart pounding, you get the picture. Somehow I manage to land well, as I'm rolling out I see that damn taxiway go right past me. So I do a 180 and try to hook it in there. What I didn't know (or didn't hear while caught up in my mad search for the taxiway while on final) is that there was a Falcon jet behind me, from our local cargo airline. So I'm still on the runway, looking right at the jet approaching the same runway I'm on, the tower is screaming something in the background, and he looks like he's about to flare. I don't actually remember what I was thinking or doing, I think I was still trying to make it into that taxiway. I distinctly remember everything slowing down and my life flashing before my eyes. Then I hear the crew say "going around", and it seemed like an eternity before the plumes of smoke appeared and I saw it start to climb. I have no idea how close that was but the noise and rumble was unbelievable. I taxied to parking "on auto-pilot" shaking and in shock, and sat in the plane for the next 20 minutes trying to breathe again. I think I was still shaking the next day. My CFI was absolutely livid at ATC for having done that in the first place, and that was the last day I heard that particular controller on the radio. I feel bad about that, actually, I frequently think about that day. I blame myself also, why didn't I say 'unable' or go around when I had the chance? Comes back to the quote, "good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement". My biggest lesson learned: always think ahead and never be afraid to say 'unable'. It took me a good 6 months to get back into flying, and I was training twice a week leading up to it.

Two, happened last year. Climbing out of KELM in mild post-frontal turbulence in an Arrow, lost power. Not a great feeling when that happens. Thankfully elected to do a spiral climb over the airport because of the nearby hills, just to increase the safety margin. Came in useful, was able to bring it back to the airport.

as I'm rolling out I see that damn taxiway go right past me. So I do a 180 and try to hook it in there. What I didn't know (or didn't hear while caught up in my mad search for the taxiway while on final) is that there was a Falcon jet behind me, from our local cargo airline. So I'm still on the runway, looking right at the jet approaching the same runway I'm on, the tower is screaming something in the background, and he looks like he's about to flare. I don't actually remember what I was thinking or doing, I think I was still trying to make it into that taxiway. I distinctly remember everything slowing down and my life flashing before my eyes. Then I hear the crew say "going around", and it seemed like an eternity before the plumes of smoke appeared and I saw it start to climb. I have no idea how close that was but the noise and rumble was unbelievable. I taxied to parking "on auto-pilot" shaking and in shock, and sat in the plane for the next 20 minutes trying to breathe again. I think I was still shaking the next day. My CFI was absolutely livid at ATC for having done that in the first place

I don't know whether ATC did anything wrong, but I'd say your CFI was at fault for soloing you without better preparation. You should have been taught never to do a U-turn on a controlled runway without permission from the tower, and that you should ask ATC if they give you an instruction you need help understanding. Plus, there really shouldn't be any taxiways at your home airport that are unfamiliar to you by the time you solo. None of that was your fault as a student, but I do think your CFI had some blame.

Good work on the subsequent loss-of-power event! I've never faced that problem, but if I do I hope I do as well as you.

Yep, yoiu win! :D

I'm gonna get hammered tonight just reading that! ;)

Thanks man! It's always nice to get some positive feedback on the project. I'll have to break out the old laptop and bang out a few more stories soon.

This is a great thread. I just canceled my flight lessons and took myself out of ground school.

Haha. I hope that it doesn't have that effect on anyone. The take-away I'd have on this thread is that the training (and in some cases luck) that we have as pilots kicks in when needed the most.

Good story Evil! Reminds me of a flight of 4/F-15s (Georgia ANG) I worked doing ATC years ago. Bad summer storms in the southeast. They all go missed at SAV and every one of them is emergency fuel. I'm working arrival up the road at NBC, SAV is yelling on the landline for handoffs on targets already in my airspace. Complete mess. Our wx turns to crap and and they start going missed off the PAR. The last two that landed both had less than 10 mins of fuel remaining including one that intercepted final at 3 miles on an ASR approach! When it was over, I went downstairs to the porch outside base ops and the pilots were out there soaked with sweat, smoking cigs and doing the usual airplane hand gestures on how they almost bought the farm.

I don't know whether ATC did anything wrong, but I'd say your CFI was at fault for soloing you without better preparation. You should have been taught never to do a U-turn on a controlled runway without permission from the tower, and that you should ask ATC if they give you an instruction you need help understanding. Plus, there really shouldn't be any taxiways at your home airport that are unfamiliar to you by the time you solo. None of that was your fault as a student, but I do think your CFI had some blame.

Yeah... could've, would've, should've. I knew 'unable', but knowing something and putting that knowledge into practice are two different things. I hope someone else learns from my mistakes, I definitely did! Regarding the U-turn, we did that 99% of the time coming back - make a 180 and back to parking. So I was spring-loaded for a 180 turn after landing.

It was the best of flights, it was the worst of flights...

Funny, the non-current pilot becomes the PIC's passenger. :D Can't log currency that way though, unless the PIC is a CFI (at least that's how I understand it).
Why not? Sole manipulator logs as sole manipulator.

Back