World Chess Championship in London...

F1 can be boring for any given race, but exciting over a season if you follow all the drama: team strategies, technology, testing and development, etc. I enjoyed F1 when I followed it, but I really followed it. It takes time, though, not something you can enjoy casually.

Still, the best racing is viewed through a windshield, not a TV screen.

Same could be said for NASCAR. I 100% understand why a non fan would be bored as hell watching a single race, but once you start to learn the strategy and get familiar with the characters, it's much more interesting. But if I actually sit down and watch an entire race, there is at least a 30 min nap in there somewhere. They need to cut the laps in half.

Teaching my son to play (he's 23 now)

Hopefully he doesn’t let you take his queen so quickly nowadays.

They need to play speed chess, I wonder how IBMs Watson would have done if it didn’t have time to go through billions of operations.

Update...

10 games in. 10 draws.

Some were interesting, and one side - often black - ended up pressing with a superior position. But these are the two best players in the world, with nearly identical ratings, and each is known for his defensive prowess.

Anyway, 2 classical games left. Either could be decisive. Game 11 underway now. Game 12 tomorrow.

If they’re still even after 12 games, they begin to play games with shorter time controls until there is a winner. Carlsen is known for his skill in such games.

Not as interesting a match as I had hoped, but still worthwhile if you’re into this sort of thing.

Good to know there’s an alternative if the Ga-Ga Tech games starts to go to the dogs..

Since it is taking place in London...
nlggEUR.png

I played tournament chess for years and find this championship extremely boring. Computers chess programs have gotten these guys preparation to a level that makes winning very difficult. The faster tie break time controls should make things more interesting on Wednesday - assuming today is a draw.

Agree, Magnus not playing that position was frustrating. He must be very confident he will win the rapid tie break.

Magnus is up 2-0 in the 4 rapid games - Nearly insurmountable. Caruana would have to win the next 2 to just stay in it. Doesn’t look good for team USA.

Back