Working my way up the Piper food chain in a day...

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Yesterday was a busy flying day.

Had to fly the Chieftain in the morning, which is based at an airport a bit over an hour drive from my house. But I had to be back at my home airport (over an hour drive back) by noon to fly another plane, and we'd just had some ice/snow fall the night before that I suspected would make the back roads up there slippery. So, I hopped in the Aztec to use as my commuter plane and flew up.

Then flew the Chieftain.

Oh, and the third airplane of the day - the Cheyenne II.

I was more along for the ride on that one, but did get to fly it some. I've been getting started flying the Commander 690A. The speed on it is nice, but I don't like the cabin or the comfort very much. The Cheyenne is much nicer as far as comfort, and I like the familiar feel of the Navajo cabin (which I fit into much better than the Commander). Of course, it's also slower by about 30 kts or so.

Q: How much money does it take to fly?
A: All of it

Q: How much money does it take to fly twins?
A: All of it times two

Never flew a 690. Ted, you saying a Cheyenne II has a larger cockpit than the 690? I fly a IIIA and you darn near put that plane on rather than get in it. However, the IIIA has the column in the floor like many jets. I suspect this makes it feel tighter. The II's do share more with the Navajo.

To add to Ted's response:

What makes an airplane fly?........Money

What makes a twin fly?.........Three times as much money

What makes a turbine fly........ You don't want to know

To add to Ted's response:

What makes an airplane fly?........Money

What makes a twin fly?.........Three times as much money

What makes a turbine fly........ If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it.
Fixed that! Still, just once, please?

Even if you can afford it, you still don't want to know:) But, you are correct!!

That's awesome! Any pictures of these beauties for us?

Well, there are plenty of pictures of my Aztec plastered all over the 'net. :)

The Navajo and Cheyenne, well, look much like a Navajo and a Cheyenne. ;)

Never flew a 690. Ted, you saying a Cheyenne II has a larger cockpit than the 690? I fly a IIIA and you darn near put that plane on rather than get in it. However, the IIIA has the column in the floor like many jets. I suspect this makes it feel tighter. The II's do share more with the Navajo.

Yes. The III/400 are much different aircraft from the I/II. The I/II feel pretty much the same as a Navajo of any sort from the cockpit. They did make the electrical systems more complicated, and you add pressurization. Otherwise, it was a lot like flying the Navajo. Hopping in the Cheyenne, the main differences are the switches for the turbines, and seeing the various turbine instruments as opposed to piston instruments. Handling characteristics are a bit different, more than anything due to the weight. Standard yoke, etc.

The 690A is a nice flying airplane, but you do wear it. There's not a lot of room to move around, and I find the ergonomics are not very well suited to someone of my build.

Dear Tony:

He knows. He doesn't care (you ever see a picture of Ted with a frown?).

All is well.

Spike

:rofl:

I am still jealous of Tony's 421 time. I have 0.5 hours in a 421A, during which I really didn't do very much. A 421 is very much on my list of aircraft I want to fly.

As far as the jealousy over flying turbines: I am one of those people who is perfectly happy with pistons. I'm getting into the turbine world more than anything because it's part of the job. I enjoy learning the new aircraft, more complicated systems, and just doing something new. However, I still love getting in the Aztec, 310, or Navajo, and having fun with that. If I could put turbos on the 310 (or, better still, 421 engines), I would be happy as a dog with a treat.

I once flew a Citation III to a glider convention. Go figure.

The fun of turbine flying comes from start-up.

Not a cough-cough-chug-chug-chugggga-brooom of a -360 or -540....

Just that sweet whistle, followed by the "whommp" of ignition, then the roar. Man I love the sound of the PT6 start sequence!!!

I am still new enough to the turbine world that it still fascinates me too. You have the soune effects down pretty good!!

Which end are you at when you're flying a Cheyenne?

Just that sweet whistle, followed by the "whommp" of ignition, then the roar. Man I love the sound of the PT6 start sequence!!!

...and then you notice the 100 pph fuel flow your engine has at ground idle.

The start sequence in a Lycoming or Continental receives frequently complaints, but I've found that when you learn the tricks, it ain't so bad. Of course, with a turbine, knowing tricks aren't necessarily mandatory.

On the IIIA it is closer to 135 pounds PER SIDE at idle. But your point is well taken.

On the IIIA it is closer to 135 pounds PER SIDE at idle. But your point is well taken.

Well, if Mr. Flyersfan bought what I think he bought, it only has one engine. ;)

...and then you notice the 100 pph fuel flow your engine has at ground idle.

The start sequence in a Lycoming or Continental receives frequently complaints, but I've found that when you learn the tricks, it ain't so bad. Of course, with a turbine, knowing tricks aren't necessarily mandatory.
Unless the start is abnormal, at which time sleight-of-hand is nice to have.

Unless the start is abnormal, at which time sleight-of-hand is nice to have.

True. And a bad start can cost a lot more than it usually will a Lyco/Contisaur.

Sat between a pair of them earlier this week. As self loading cargo in the B-1900 we use between OLM and HIO. And I watched and listened. Nobody else seemed to notice. They just don't get it. On the other hand, the sounds of a big radial starting up would have been much more fun to listen to. :D

Man, that'll never ever work without the "tic-tic-tic-tic-tic" of the ignitors...

14118.jpg

Gotta love that!

Last edited:
Unless they are dash-20 Pratts with glow plugs like those installed in B-90 King Airs.

Man, that'll never ever work without the "tic-tic-tic-tic-tic" of the ignitors...

Back