Work rant

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Work rant, they cut my hours by 1 hour a day so the folks that fly out after their shift can catch a flight instead of spending the night in a motel and taking a flight out in the morning. 400 employees about 80% fly in to work.

I take a boat to work every day, to and from. The airlines changed their flight schedule and no longer offer a later flight folks normally take. So management changed the boat schedule to allow the workers that fly out to be able to catch an earlier flight.

That is great the folks don't need to spend the night at $85 and get home earlier. But that hour is going to cost me $12K a year.....

I can work an extra day or two every month to make up the loss, but I really don't want to spend more time at work to make the same money as I currently make....

I should start a rant seminar. "How to express your displeasure for maximum impact."

I should start a rant seminar. "How to express your displeasure for maximum impact."
Well management would say they are doing the best to accommodate the most in their workforce. Oh they gave me a $0.30/hour raise...:lol::lol:

But that hour is going to cost me $12K a year.....
Might not be the case, but it does make me wonder if that didn’t factor into management’s decision making process from the get-go, especially if they’re not giving options for those who commute by boat to continue working their normal hours. It looks good from the company’s end to say they’re thinking of the employees, when in reality they’re actually looking at their own bottom line.

Might not be the case, but it does make me wonder if that didn’t factor into management’s decision making process from the get-go, especially if they’re not giving options for those who commute by boat to continue working their normal hours. It looks good from the company’s end to say they’re thinking of the employees, when in reality they’re actually looking at their own bottom line.
Not sure how it is going to pan out. The folks that commute daily on the boat are not going to be happy. Management must know this but really don't care about those who commute daily as %80 of the workforce live out of town.

I could do a rant about my employer moving all our jobs to Texas but I won't. I guess they can't move a silver mine.

my work rant would be:

I have to work.

/rant
My rant would be about the uncertainty. I don’t think I need to work… but I’m not certain that I don’t have to work. If I knew for sure how long I was going to live it would be so much more convenient.

.....And that is why the insurance guy who had the office next to me used to say, "and that is why I have an insurance business"

I will go homeless before ever moving back to Texas. My current job is safe. My concern is where my career goes from here.
I got an email from Blue Origin a couple weeks ago, for a very senior software engineer. My response was 1) I have no interest in moving out of Colorado and 2) next time I visit Texas is to be buried in the family plot.

Got an email the next day -- "we have an office in Denver"....

yah folks, I know where, it's across the street from where I was working, and a vendor for the same company.

Work rant: I work to support my flying habit. That is all.

Edit: I will also never go back to Texas!

@AKBill I would somewhat tremulously point out that there are lots of places in the US where you can actually drive to work. I myself neither fly, nor boat, nor even drive but walk to work. I like it that way.

@AKBill I would somewhat tremulously point out that there are lots of places in the US where you can actually drive to work. I myself neither fly, nor boat, nor even drive but walk to work.

Pre-pandemic, I used to drive to work. That was ok. For the last two years I've walked to work. I'd love to virtue signal about the health benefits and how it has improved my cardiovascular fitness...but I just paced it off. My computer desk is 12 steps from my bed.

Pre-pandemic, I used to drive to work. That was ok. For the last two years I've walked to work. I'd love to virtue signal about the health benefits and how it has improved my cardiovascular fitness...but I just paced it off. My computer desk is 12 steps from my bed.
I'll do a bit of virtue signaling, since I was working at home for awhile during the height of the pandemic. Didn't like it, I was underfoot and gained weight. Too much food available and nearby, thankfully I am back in my office. We humans were built to walk, not run, it's why our skeletons are the way they are. Walking is one of the best exercises you can do, low impact on your joints. I've built my walk into my day and have little choice (actually, I rode the motorcycle in today, just because it was sufficiently warm and likely won't be again for some months). Definitely helps me keep my girlish figure.

but I just paced it off. My computer desk is 12 steps from my bed.

Ok, that really got a laugh from me, then I started thinking.

Now I know, my computer desk is 24 steps from my bed. I do walk that distance at least 10 times a day....

@AKBill I would somewhat tremulously point out that there are lots of places in the US where you can actually drive to work. I myself neither fly, nor boat, nor even drive but walk to work. I like it that way.
Believe me if I could walk to work and get rid of my 3+ hour commute I would. Got 21 years with the company. Less than 2 years to retirement. Monthly wage loss equals mortgage payment... Oh well I'll get thru this mess

This time of year, if I tried to walk to work, and only walked in the daytime, I think it would take about 3 days. Probably more if I had to carry a tent to sleep in for the overnights. But this is unrealistic because I'd be tired of the whole concept before I reached the main road.

Back