Woot GPS with XM

Awesome tip Spike.

I just bought one to experiment with as a $10/month poor mans weather radar.

I'll let you know. It was universally panned by the GPS afficianados (which explains the $100 price). It doesn't support WX except as North Up so I am imagining that the ergonomics of it while flying are going to be challenging. I would be very intrigued if I could load rasterized enroute charts into it or something aviation related but while there are bootleg map instructions available for the major manufacturers - not for the might Bushnell.

I'll post a review in 5-10 days when I get it.

All solutions have compromises, it's a matter of which solutions you figure have the best benefit/compromise ratio. $99 + $10/month is a pretty good benefit, and worth a good sum of compromises to many. :)

It doesn't support WX except as North Up so I am imagining that the ergonomics of it while flying are going to be challenging.

Perhaps for you. I always fly north-up on my GPS, so this would not be a problem.

I'll let you know. It was universally panned by the GPS afficianados (which explains the $100 price). It doesn't support WX except as North Up so I am imagining that the ergonomics of it while flying are going to be challenging.
It is a handheld GPS. Just rotate it. Align the top of the GPS with whatever direction North is and you're set.

This is actually the 2nd time this same GPS has been on Woot in the past few months. I imagine we'll see it again, at least in a Wootoff soon.

What wx can you get for $10/mo? I thought XM Aviator Lite was $30/mo.

The Bushnell deal was $9.99*12 for what looked like Doppler and campers lightning/local forecast.

I am eager to play with this but worried that it will be like the ugly girlfriend tool you bury in the back of the tool chest hoping it will break so you can get the one you really wanted.

Flying IFR is my Zen. Total purposeful concentration. Holding a half baked GPS the size of a carton of cigarettes sideways so that it can barely see enough sky to work while juggling the airplane doesn't fit.

It was just too cheap to pass up and there have been times I would have put a 496 on the credit card right there if it could have been delivered to 5000ft. I'll know more in 2 weeks. If I can force feed it a rasterized enroute it might yet be a sleeper.

More to follow!

Tag. I got one for Xmas from my wife.

Any suggestions/experience setting it up as a cheap handheld nexrad?

Just got it and its waiting outside in the sun room to download its XM subscription. Mind you the "sun" has set and its 2F outside so the unit is also being tested for its weather hardiness and I am not enough of a nerd to sit out on the glass porch and watch for the instant it catches the update from Bangalore.

Have you flown with it much?

Todd

Back