Woooshhh... Out the window goes....

iWantWings

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wingsIwant
.... my new medical certificate. And I just got a glimpse of it as it was sucked right out of my shirt pocket.

I don't get it. My shirt pocket even has one of those button-down flaps; no, i didn't button it down, just had it laying over the pocket, unbuttoned. Oh well. I'm gonna fill out that 8060-56 form.

Ha. I was all "compliant" when I took off and then landed without a medical certificate. Busted. ;-]

So did anyone have something fall out of (or off of) an airplane in flight?

(I lost a chart another time).

Memo to self: Don't sideslip the Cub with the windows open if the chart is sitting on the glareshield ...

P1040895.JPG

Memo to self: Don't sideslip the Cub with the windows open if the chart is sitting on the glareshield ...

P1040895.JPG

Good thing you had those Chart Recovery thingys installed on your Cub! :D

After we taxied off the runway I opened the door in a Warrior and out flew my gloves so airport ops had a glove retrieval mission.

.... my new medical certificate. And I just got a glimpse of it as it was sucked right out of my shirt pocket.

I don't get it. My shirt pocket even has one of those button-down flaps; no, i didn't button it down, just had it laying over the pocket, unbuttoned. Oh well. I'm gonna fill out that 8060-56 form.

Ha. I was all "compliant" when I took off and then landed without a medical certificate. Busted. ;-]

So did anyone have something fall out of (or off of) an airplane in flight?

(I lost a chart another time).

Found your medical, I wrote void on it and sent it to the FAA to prevent any fraud or shenanigans happening with it. You are welcome. :D:lol::rolleyes:

Found your medical, I wrote void "I am surrendering my medical privileges" on it and sent it to the FAA to prevent any fraud or shenanigans happening with it. You are welcome. :D:lol::rolleyes:

FIFY.

I lost my sunroof plexiglas in the Citabria. When we repaired it, we found that it was missing a retainer that should have been installed when it was rebuilt in 1999. It appeared they used 100 mile an hour tape in place of the retainer. It barely goes over a hundred, no wonder it failed :)

In the Cardinal the windows are the crank open vent type so the air flow is always inward. My friend tried to throw his gum out the window and it came back in and hit him in the head.

I lost my sunroof plexiglas in the Citabria. When we repaired it, we found that it was missing a retainer that should have been installed when it was rebuilt in 1999. It appeared they used 100 mile an hour tape in place of the retainer. It barely goes over a hundred, no wonder it failed :)

Yes, the Citabria needs the 105 mile an hour tape.

I had a Piper 235 with a bad door seal. During a practice IFR approach I put all my paper approach plates in the back seat next to the door. I heard a noise and look to see them being sucked out the crack in the door.

Why was your medical certificate in your shirt pocket?

So I was taxiing to the runway in Austin one day, and my airport diagram got sucked out the little window; smarty-pants in the SWA jet behind me says, on Ground, "I think the Bonanza in front of me just lost an approach plate out his window." All I could do was say, "I got more..."

So I wonder how many of you filed an ASR for violation of FAR 91.15: ?

"Sec. 91.15 — Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property."

:D

(yeah, as with Jordan, I opened the door to my Arrow and lost my headset bag -- which the marshal quickly retrieved and waived at me :( )

One time at night I was flying a C-210, IMC, and eating a sandwich. The window suddenly popped open and the chips, sour cream and onion Pringles, filed out the window like dealing cards.

A friend of mine was in a C-414. While climbing through 14,000 the right windshield departed the aircraft. It sucked the glare shield out as well as any lose paper. His headset would have left as well if the cord had not caught on his arm.

Being about 10 to 15 miles from the point of departure, he immediately reduced power and turned back to the airport. The right seat passenger got out of the seat and laid down on the floor. The medics covered the patient with a blanket and then covered themselves the best they could.

After he landed, the first words he said was... "It's cold".....

The windshield was never recovered. The C-414 is a pressurized A/C.

...this one day, I was flying along and suddenly, encountered a barrage of Pringles... ;-)

I lost a chart out of a helicopter once because we were flying with the doors off and I still had some nasty fixed-wing habits of using the pedals in an uncoordinated manor. We landed in the field and the CFI retrieved it.

The baggage door blew off on a C-172M. Everything in the airplane that wasn't packed in my flight bag started doing laps around the cockpit before going out hole in the fuselage.

Had a passenger lose a lens once...

Flying at 6000' over Clear Lake in CA, we had the window on the 172RG unscrewed from the stop and raised up against the wing. I was powered back. The photographer in the right seat was taking shots of the lake. Afraid of losing the expensive camera, she had the strap on the big DSLR wrapped on her arm and she was gripping the lens tightly. Well...she gripped tightly enough to push the lens release button with the side of her hand and the next zoom operation unhitched the lens and the wind quickly ripped it from her hand. The multi-thousand dollar lens was gone forever.

I'm just really glad that heavy thing didn't impact my empennage!

While towing gliders I the '70s I would take the doors off the airplane on hot days. Sideslipping back to the airport after the glider cut loose, there'd be a lot of wind through the cabin. One day I wore my cowboy hat to the airport and tossed it in the back when I put the headset on. That hat flashed out the right door in the slip, over the city, and probably drifted slowly down long after I'd gone. I can just imagine some guy sunning in his back yard, and he sees this hat floating down out of the blue.

The next summer I did exactly the same thing, but it was over an unpopulated hillside.

Slow learner.

Recently at my airport, a jacket from one of the plane flew out the door after landing laying in the middle of the runway. I think one of the other pilots notified the ATC tower that there was a jacket in the middle of the runway. One of our airport ops guys retrieved the jacket.

I've lost charts out the Swift window and Cub door. Lost a leather helmet out of the front seat of my Starduster Too doing acro several years ago. It ended up on the horizontal's lower strut about like the Cub/chart picture above.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

One our Loadmasters fell out. . .harness kept him attached, and the FE helped retrieve him back into the cargo compartment (C-130E). He was kinda beat up, but nothing serious.

He had added slack to the strap, so he could reach up to close the paratroop door (he was a squatty body), and lost his footing on the rail. Kept his grip on the door, but just succeded in pulling it partially down.

He kept his helmet; lost a knife and a checklist, and a good deal of his sense of humour. . .

Middle of July in Florida 100+ degrees, 100 percent humidity, UV index of 12. It was hot out.

Last landing of the day with my instructor, who keeps notes throughout the flight on a piece of paper along with a sectional, good landing pulling up to the taxiway to vacate the runway and he opens the window in the 150. He had unclipped his notes and sectional from his knee board and out the window they went. PC-12 on final somewhere in the distance. He makes a call on the radio that he'd be running out there to grab them. Never heard another crew laugh with so much of the "I feel your pain" inflection before. My instructor was beet red and didn't say much til she was tied down.

Fastest way to solo!

:D

The things that pilots and plates drop from up above. Too funny (most of the time). Here's a quick list from the posts (thus far)

- charts (fixed wing and rotor)
- gloves
- sunroof plexiglass
- chewing gum
- approach plates
- airport diagram
- headset bag
- iPhone 6 (flight chops video)
- Pringles chips (the sour cream ones)
- right windshield (!!), glare shield, etc.
- baggage door and then all the other stuff
- photo camera lens
- cowboy hat
- jacket
- instructor (R.I.P, or is it "Blue Skies"?)
- leather helmet (stuck on horizontal strut)
- Loadmaster (!) dangling via harness (!!)
- Kneeboard notes

The story with the right windshield popping off reminds of the BA 5390 flight where the pilot of the aircraft gets "blown out" of the cockpit after the improperly installed windscreen pops off.

The pilot's feet get caught in the flight controls, so he remains attached to the aircraft with most of his body stretched through the place where windscreen used to be. Although he was assumed assumed dead, the copilot (now pic) asked the flight attendant to continue holding on to pilot's feet for fear that if released, his body might end up into the tail section of the aircraft.

If anyone's curious, read this

(I also saw a documentary on it once)

Last edited:
I lost a chart out of a helicopter once because we were flying with the doors off and I still had some nasty fixed-wing habits of using the pedals in an uncoordinated manor. We landed in the field and the CFI retrieved it.

I don't believe it :D That was part of the plan to give you a reason to casually land the heli where no fixed wing can go. Love it.

Why was your medical certificate in your shirt pocket?

Because I wasn't wearing pants. JK.

Good question, and no real good answer: My shiny, new certificate was in my backpack, but when flying the Piper J3 Cub, there is no way I would take that chunky thing along. So I folded the the certificate nicely to fit my shirt pocket and not be wrinkled up in my pants pocket (your body kind of "folds" when squeezing in the Cub).

I bet it is still nicely creased and folded (until El Nino comes).

Last edited:
Found your medical, I wrote void on it and sent it to the FAA to prevent any fraud or shenanigans happening with it. You are welcome. :D:lol::rolleyes:

Hilarious!

But you know what, the school's J3 Cub meets the LSA requirements: don't need no stinkin' medical :D (actually, I think the insurance that the school uses mandates that the renter have a valid medical, regardless of LSA; bummer).

'Lost a small video camera over the Horseshoe bend near Page... wife got it too close to the window. Swoosh...!?!##??

I have fallen out the door of an airplane 105 or so times. Oh wait ,that was on purpose. Nevermind....:D

David

Window? What window? Laid my iPhone in its black case on the ledge above the instrument panel (all four inches) and forgot it (Waco YMF-5C). Watched it slide away onto the runway when I added power for take off. FBO picked it up for me, a couple of scratches but phone was fine.

The story with the right windshield popping off reminds of the BA 5390 flight where the pilot of the aircraft gets "blown out" of the cockpit after the improperly installed windscreen pops off.

If anyone's curious, read this

(I also saw a documentary on it once)

Talk about some bad engineering:

"The incident also brought to attention a design flaw in the aircraft of the windscreen being secured from the outside of the aircraft, putting a greater pressure on the bolts than if they were secured from the inside."

Friday went up to Hominy and did some landing practice. Three landings, taxi back on each one. Came home. When we left, there were three pants on the landing gear. When we got back, there were two. All but one of its bolts were also missing. Never saw anything on the runway when we taxied back at Hominy, so grabbed a golf cart and toured the home drome. No airplane body parts. No telling where it landed. Expect some farmer will believe he has found an alien space ship.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4088small.jpg
    IMG_4088small.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 94
When my kids were little I would open the little pilot vent door on the window and tell them we were flying through a magical area. You hold a Cheeto about a foot from the window, release - and it disappears!

Back