Wonderfull weather in the Midwest this Weekend, Lunch?

flyingcheesehead said:
You know, you could go to KC via PDC... :D :yes:

Mike, you in?

Bruce, sorry to hear your plane's down. If I could get a plane earlier, I'd swing by and pick you up, though with my slow birds you'd be >1hr away. :dunno: I think you need a spare plane to go with your second hangar! :yes:

I'm in! Save a burger for me.

I offered to go get Bruce but I can't get him home in an hour. It's about an hour and a half flight time.

mikea said:
I'm in! Save a burger for me.

I offered to go get Bruce but I can't get him home in an hour. It's about an hour and a half flight time.
I managed to get the club c172RG this morning. I'll be there. It's 1hr:10 min, just a tich long, but doable.

:)

N2212R said:
Would anyone take that into a 1700' grass? Maybe if we can get 6Y9 extended to 2600' a Mooney could be in the cards.

Ed, since you will be the one maintaining the runway (or at least managing that) all you need to do is keep it fairly smooth and free of holes. I don't see any problems getting a Mooney in and out of a 1700 ft strip, and if you are concerned, just keep it a bit under gross.

Or if you don't think you can keep the grass smooth, get an older Bonanza circa 1953-1960). They make excellent short/grass field airplanes and with only 25-40 hp more, are nearly as efficient as a Mooney.

lancefisher said:
Ed, since you will be the one maintaining the runway (or at least managing that) all you need to do is keep it fairly smooth and free of holes. I don't see any problems getting a Mooney in and out of a 1700 ft strip, and if you are concerned, just keep it a bit under gross.

Or if you don't think you can keep the grass smooth, get an older Bonanza circa 1953-1960). They make excellent short/grass field airplanes and with only 25-40 hp more, are nearly as efficient as a Mooney.

Yeah, maybe in a couple years. Right now, what I have is a known quantity. Going with another plane, who knows what "joys" I may find after signing the paper work. Plus, hard to find a Mooney (in my $ range) with a panel as good as mine.

N2212R said:
Yeah, maybe in a couple years. Right now, what I have is a known quantity. Going with another plane, who knows what "joys" I may find after signing the paper work. Plus, hard to find a Mooney (in my $ range) with a panel as good as mine.

Heck, in two years you could have that runway looking like a golf course green!

I did one pattern post annual. When I banked left it kept banking. When I put in opposite aileron to stop the bank it put in opposite rudder. At one point I saw that the ball was trying to leave the side of the T&B case.

After I survived the landing - it was a L-O-N-G downwind and final - and ol' Jimmer checked the rudder operation- we decided the plane should go back into the hangar.

It's some combination of a lotta bumpiness, the rudder refusing to center as it is wont to do, being out of trim, and a loose nut behind the yoke.

DUATS had nuttin' but 0000 and VRB03 in the TAFs. Howcum we got gusts to 22 when I got airborne?

*DISAPPOINTED!*

mikea said:
I did one pattern post annual. When I banked left it kept banking. When I put in opposite aileron to stop the bank it put in opposite rudder. At one point I saw that the ball was trying to leave the side of the T&B case.

After I survived the landing - it was a L-O-N-G downwind and final - and ol' Jimmer checked the rudder operation- we decided the plane should go back into the hangar.

It's some combination of a lotta bumpiness, the rudder refusing to center as it is wont to do, being out of trim, and a loose nut behind the yoke.

DUATS had nuttin' but 0000 and VRB03 in the TAFs. Howcum we got gusts to 22 when I got airborne?

*DISAPPOINTED!*
Well, I've been spoiled. Making my way in a 172 RG with speed over ground of 115 kts in the turburbulence got me nearly a smitch ill. Uneventful flight back at 9K with a 35 kt tailwind :goofy: . When I got back, the 60 year old #2 sliding hangar door came off the rail and the hangar could not be completely closed. The #2 section is suspended between the #2 and #3 panels. Sigh.

Lance, I'm embarassed I can't remember your friend/collegue's name.

Attachments

• KPDC04.23.06.JPG
    KPDC04.23.06.JPG
    767.4 KB · Views: 24
mikea said:

It was 10G17 when I left... You must have been in the eye of the storm. ;)

*DISAPPOINTED!*

Mike, we'll do it again... Angus was closed (not open until 5?!? :dunno:) so we walked down the street to Huckleberry's. Now I have to go back and try Angus too. :yes:

bbchien said:
Lance, I'm embarassed I can't remember your friend/collegue's name.

Steve Case. I found it easy to remember as Steve Case was one of the original Macintosh team members. (Not the same one though, I don't think...)

So, that's Steve on the left, Lance Fisher, me, Jesse Angell, and Dr. Bruce Chien.

Last edited:
One more pic: Jesse and Lance in Steve's Cirrus.

Attachments

• DSC00025.JPG
    DSC00025.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 233
flyingcheesehead said:
One more pic: Jesse and Lance in Steve's Cirrus.
Nice airplane.

I look like I'm 5 years old.

....there is quite a bit of room in the back of the SR-22.

Last edited:
jangell said:
Nice airplane.

I look like I'm 5 years old.

....there is quite a bit of room in the back of the SR-22.
Nah. You don't look 5 years old. I look 50 years old. Sigh.

It was gusting..wind was 90 degrees to the runway at Lakelawn, and with the trees on the west side causing intermittent blocking I was doing some swinging back and forth while trying to maintain the centerline. Actually turned out to be one of my better crosswind landings. While I was in the pattern another plane called for wind advisories and I told him what I saw. He landed behind us in an old Navy trainer. We started chatting to them inside (guy and his wife). We got back to the airplane just as they were pulling out and waved them goodbye. When we got back to DPA and pulled in front of our hangar, they came out of the one opposite - they were my neighbors and we'd never met before!

Back