Wonder what I can see through here

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by bnt83, Nov 19, 2017.

1. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    Lycoming O-320-E2D with a fixed pitch prop. Pulled the plug in the end of the crankshaft and went on a treasure hunt.

Conclusion: You may be able to see an amazing amount of the engine inside by going in from the front. The scope I used was long enough to reach all the to aft of the crankcase, I could easily see the bolt hole holding the crackshaft timing gear to the crankshaft. Its a little tricky to see cylinder #3 and #4 cam lobes as the #1 & #2 connecting rods are blocking the hole the scope passes through

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Let'sgoflying! likes this.
  2. 455 Bravo Uniform

455 Bravo Uniform Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    455 Bravo Uniform
    That's pretty cool!

Is that something that could be done somewhat unobtrusively in a pre-buy? Just thinking what a seller would allow and I'm not picturing what needs to be removed - prop?

3. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    Yes, on some engines. Others have solid crankshafts, others have a plug in a place that cannot be R&Red without engine disassembly.

Spinner, prop, and $5 plug removed. The $5 plug is discarded (destroyed to remove it). It's super easy to do.

4. cgrab

cgrab Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    cgrab
    Wow, I wish I had known this when we pulled our prop to replace the fan belt. Maybe next time.