Women Open To Combat Roles

Interesting article but it only shows her experience. I think her problems were not the norm. Deterioration of muscle and other injuries? Usually when people deploy they come back in much better physical condition when they left. Plenty of gyms over there even at the smallest FOBs so some of her comments just don't make sense. Seems she has localized problems that only would happen to someone with pre-existing or specialized medical issues. This could be a male or female problem.

Once again, this decision to integrate women in further combat roles should be made by generals and not politicians.

Women aren't exactly knocking down the door to go to these combat roles so they'll be very few that would accept the challenge anyway.

The women who do try out for these positions aren't going to have different training standards. Yes, they have different PT standards but that's always been the case and that won't change.

If a woman is able to endure what these guys go through and make it, good for them. The ones who try and fail, oh well, we have nothing to lose. Wash them out just like any other applicant.

As far as women being captured by the enemy in these new roles? Who cares? Women have a far better chance of being captured flying in combat aircraft or ground convoy (Jessica Lynch) than some infantry or spec ops unit. Women have been flying combat aircraft in the "front lines" for almost 20 ys now. Nothing new.

Exactly,if they can hang, they can hang, if they can't they wash out. This is all volunteer, if they want to go kill and live on the front line, go for it. As you point out, not many are begging for the opportunity and IMO if they want to compete for the slots, they should be allowed to.

That is exactly what I am saying. We should be judging individuals, not groups of people.

I think of this in terms of how do we maximize our ability to kill and destroy those we want to at the cheapest cost.

Where I get a little antsy is our track record of making that decision based on race in the past led to less than optimal decision making, and many of the same arguments are now being made. That being said, I think all must conceed that there are legitimate distinctions to be made between the characteristics of sex and race.

Unfortunately she uses one data point, her own medical history, to make her case re "longevity." That is the entire thesis of her objection - nothing else. I found it odd that she managed to write these two sentences so close together:

"I understand that everyone is affected differently; however, I am confident that should the Marine Corps attempt to fully integrate women into the infantry, we as an institution are going to experience a colossal increase in crippling and career-ending medical conditions for females.

There is a drastic shortage of historical data on female attrition or medical ailments of women who have executed sustained combat operations."

The second sentence admits to a shortage of data, but that doesn't stop her from making a confident claim in the first sentence. She points to differing training attrition rates, which should, if the screening is gender neutral, not really tell us anything about medical ailment attrition in combat operations.

"It was evident that stress and muscular deterioration was affecting everyone regardless of gender; however, the rate of my deterioration was noticeably faster than that of male Marine...."

Her above statement is one of several that points up an interesting observation but doesn't really argue against combat roles for women. Without women then some subset of men would be in the "higher rate of deterioration" group; even if you prove that most women will enter that group does not argue against combat roles for them.

By the way, it is clear she has paid a heavy price in the service of her country - those are some serious ailments.

Yes there are flaws in it. Im not agreeing with it or disagreeing with it but it does add another perhaps "unique" view on it.

I say if they can pass the same regimen the guys do then have at it. However I think it will be hard to find a good "balance" of males and females in a platoon/company/batallion.

A hot shower for a menstruating woman is not what I would call a "cultural nicety"...

Not being able to shower for more than a month would cause more than a bit of discomfort to women....

U.S. Foxhole - Nasiriya.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

ROFL. What is this, 1962?

I've spent time with women who'd be happy to play who can **** higher on the wall with anyone who is game, and who don't mind spending time on a cathole alongside everyone else. Probably more comfortable with it than I am :rofl:

I thought women in your nation have been doing this for a while?

Last edited:
I think of this in terms of how do we maximize our ability to kill and destroy those we want to at the cheapest cost.

Where I get a little antsy is our track record of making that decision based on race in the past led to less than optimal decision making, and many of the same arguments are now being made. That being said, I think all must conceed that there are legitimate distinctions to be made between the characteristics of sex and race.

At this point, launch the nukes that we pay to maintain. These things are amortized out and are just a forward going liability. Any conventional weapon we'll have to replace, nukes we'll still have plenty spare after we send a dozen or so to destination.

At this point, launch the nukes that we pay to maintain. These things are amortized out and are just a forward going liability. Any conventional weapon we'll have to replace, nukes we'll still have plenty spare after we send a dozen or so to destination.

Depends on the circumstances, sure, but almost invariably there are too many unintended consequences that have to be included in the accounting that tip the balance against.

Depends on the circumstances, sure, but almost invariably there are too many unintended consequences that have to be included in the accounting that tip the balance against.

What are the unintended consequences going to be when the intended consequences are 'death and destruction'?:dunno:

Death to those that we did not intend to kill. Political and economic costs from blow back. All costs that have to be accounted for, and all very real costs.

Death to those that we did not intend to kill. Political and economic costs from blow back. All costs that have to be accounted for, and all very real costs.

Henning is got a good idea......

These people in that part of the world have been fighting and killing each other since the beginning of time...North Africa / Middle East / Jewish / Palastine..... They all HATE each other.... Why drag out the suffering :dunno:... A few well placed nukes will turn the whole area into a sheet of glass and then life can repopulate......

As the ol' saying goes... Kill them all and let god sort it out..

Henning is got a good idea......

These people in that part of the world have been fighting and killing each other since the beginning of time...North Africa / Middle East / Jewish / Palastine..... They all HATE each other.... Why drag out the suffering :dunno:... A few well placed nukes will turn the whole area into a sheet of glass and then life can repopulate......

As the ol' saying goes... Kill them all and let god sort it out..

It is of course inherently contradictory to advocate the deaths of the innocent and guilty by nuclear weapons because it upsets you that fighting is killing those very same innocent and guilty parties.

What any of this has to do with women in combat is a little unclear....

It is of course inherently contradictory to advocate the deaths of the innocent and guilty by nuclear weapons because it upsets you that fighting is killing those very same innocent and guilty parties.

What any of this has to do with women in combat is a little unclear....
It was a Henning attack. :lol:

Back