Witnessed a Columbia runway overshoot KSQL

O22 is such a fun airport to fly into. El Jardine is a fantastic Mexican restaurant that is a short walk into town. They never take off of 35. At least I have never seen them do it. They always depart 17, and arrive 35 in order to save time between tankering.

Hope it wasn't 28L at KHWD ;)
It wouldn't have happened on 28L due to the very low pattern altitude (and it's a 6000 foot runway).

It was a power-off 180, and I crossed the 28R threshold very fast and some 500 AGL. Due to nerves, I got lined up WAY too quickly for a 172 on that maneuver. Flaps got deployed quite late due to excessive speed on descent. I didn't think of slipping, and floated almost all the way down the runway, and then went around.

O22 is such a fun airport to fly into. El Jardine is a fantastic Mexican restaurant that is a short walk into town. They never take off of 35. At least I have never seen them do it. They always depart 17, and arrive 35 in order to save time between tankering.

And the tankers are always there in the summer. When it's hot as HELL there. Density altitude can get significant.

It's a charming airport, and the historical park is a ~1 mile walk from the terminal. It's fabulous this time of year, if the weather is clear. But the turf runway is not usable in winter.

Wow, I really just can't wrap my head around a no-go-around if he were really landing on 12. Even seems like he would have had plenty of speed to perform the go-around by the time he got to the end of the runway... Maybe the OP thought it was RWY 30 because the pilot almost landed right on the numbers for 30!

He REALLY needed to make it to that meeting in town! wonder if he made it?

And the tankers are always there in the summer. When it's hot as HELL there. Density altitude can get significant.

It's a charming airport, and the historical park is a ~1 mile walk from the terminal. It's fabulous this time of year, if the weather is clear. But the turf runway is not usable in winter.

Is that the airport with the f-86 parked outside? I know I have been to columbia but I might be thinking of calaveras.

I went out today with my columbia and aimed for the numbers at 85kts.toucheddown probably at300 mark. Using no brakes or very light towards end I turned off at 3900 ft

I went out today with my columbia and aimed for the numbers at 85kts.toucheddown probably at300 mark. Using no brakes or very light towards end I turned off at 3900 ft

WOW... Those 'slippery" planes sure do eat up some runway..:(

Is that the airport with the f-86 parked outside? I know I have been to columbia but I might be thinking of calaveras.

CPU nor O22 have an F-86 anywhere that I have seen. I don't know is though an F-86 could get into either one of those airports.

I'm guessing his brain's transaction logs were full.

or:

SELECT approach_speed FROM poh WHERE runway_length = 2600;

Never understood decision making process of some folks. Apply power and go around, instead totals a beautiful plane!

:mad2:

Hmmmm, not saying this is what happened, but it's a good way to get out of an 'upside down' financing situation you can no longer afford...nobody would crash a plane on purpose right?:no:

Hmmmm, not saying this is what happened, but it's a good way to get out of an 'upside down' financing situation you can no longer afford...nobody would crash a plane on purpose right?:no:

Now paging Tom.... Please pick up the white customer service phone for an important call...:rolleyes::wink2:

Why so fast? Vs is 60kts clean I believe. Go up and find your real stall speed full flaps, go into the POH to the IAS-CAS chart find the CAS, multiply that by 1.2 go back into the table and work it backwards for that corresponding IAS and use that for your approach speed, I bet you turn off in under 1200' with light breaking.

so he wheelbarrrows it in and tries to salvage it with 1000' left? Definitely a) dearth of ADM and b) tunneled vision on completing what he is doing with regard to whether it is still possible . . .

I think I've gone around on every single nose wheel first landing except the ones the hook caught . . .

Last edited:
Read the thread. I think he was testing the distance.

Why so fast? Vs is 60kts clean I believe. Go up and find your real stall speed full flaps, go into the POH to the IAS-CAS chart find the CAS, multiply that by 1.2 go back into the table and work it backwards for that corresponding IAS and use that for your approach speed, I bet you turn off in under 1200' with light breaking.

My daughter, nieces and I were enjoying a day of plane spotting at our local airport a few years back.
I was preparing to leave and had put my video camera away when my daughter spotted a jet coming in for a landing.
It was my 11 year old daughter that noticed and mentioned that the plane had not touched down yet and there wasn't much runway left.
As it turned out she was correct, the plane left the end of runway and only managed to stop because of the arresting material that they happen to have at this airport.
It is my belief that it was the arresting material that saved that plane from plunging off the end of the runway to the road below.
The road is approximately 40-50 feet below the runway elevation at the very end of it.
The plane first touched down with approximately 1/3 of the runway remaining.
I got my still camera out too late to capture the action but early enough that you can still see the smoke kicking up and the front door opening.
As you can see in the picture below the aircraft is clearly beyond the end of the runway.

8376850113_a63f9e98c2_c_d.jpg

My daughter, nieces and I were enjoying a day of plane spotting at our local airport a few years back.
I was preparing to leave and had put my video camera away when my daughter spotted a jet coming in for a landing.
It was my 11 year old daughter that noticed and mentioned that the plane had not touched down yet and there wasn't much runway left.
As it turned out she was correct, the plane left the end of runway and only managed to stop because of the arresting material that they happen to have at this airport.
It is my belief that it was the arresting material that saved that plane from plunging off the end of the runway to the road below.
The road is approximately 40-50 feet below the runway elevation at the very end of it.
I got my still camera out too late to capture the action but early enough that you can still see the smoke kicking up and the front door opening.
As you can see in the picture below the aircraft is clearly beyond the end of the runway.

Geez... That happens at Jackson Hole almost daily...... In fact it is so common the planes don't even stop and check for issues.... they just do a 180 and taxi to the ramp....

Geez... That happens at Jackson Hole almost daily...... In fact it is so common the planes don't even stop and check for issues.... they just do a 180 and taxi to the ramp....

Do they have the arresting material in Jackson Hole?
I don't think you can just taxi your way out of this stuff.

Do they have the arresting material in Jackson Hole?
I don't think you can just taxi your way out of this stuff.

We did till last year when they added pavement.. The arresting material was 3 feet of snow...:yikes:..

I was always under the impression if an aircraft passes the end line and goes into the safety runoff area, they need to shut down the motors, call the admin of the airport, fill out forms and then proceed if they can get out by themselves....

True story.... Last summer , after the tower closes at 9 PM, there are a couple of airlines that come in... Next morning, the airport guys doing a runway check for FOD find HUGE skid marks leading past the end,, into the safety runoff area and stop at a point where the nose wheel of the plane had to have had the gear in the dirt....... So they measure the width of the marks and determine it was either the 320 Scare bus or the 757 that came in the night before... They interviewed both crews and BOTH denied doing it...:yikes::rofl::lol:;).... Ya just can't make this stuff up...:nonod:

So they measure the width of the marks and determine it was either the 320 Scare bus or the 757 that came in the night before... They interviewed both crews and BOTH denied doing it...:yikes::rofl::lol:;).... Ya just can't make this stuff up...:nonod:
So was it the Big D, Alcoholics Anonymous or the Friendly Skies? :skeptical:
They should have used my method of interrogations (it works on the kids all the time). :incazzato:

Thought so! Did my private training there. Great airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whoa, thats a little bit more expensive than a columbia, but I wonder if the fat cat in the back fires him/her if he/she does a go around?

I flew with a friend of mine in his Lanceair, the predecessor of the Columbia and identical but for the avionics. He landed with only light brakes a boatload less than 3900 feet (the runway itself was 4K feet).

I do not mean to be at all condescending or insulting in saying this, but some time with a CFI might be well spent. You might have to put that thing in somewhere tight some day. The aircraft can do it, I swear.

I looked up the ground roll for a Columbia 400, and found out it is 1300 feet.

I do not mean to be at all condescending or insulting in saying this, but some time with a CFI might be well spent. You might have to put that thing in somewhere tight some day. The aircraft can do it, I swear.

Did you read what he wrote? Touched down at 300 feet and COASTED to the 3900 mark with light braking at the end. Why use up the brakes if you don't need to?

I've actually done short field in 6 or 700 ft to full stop. I just wanted to see how far it would take to get to turnoff speed without any brakes coming in at speeds called for in the book

So they measure the width of the marks and determine it was either the 320 Scare bus or the 757 that came in the night before...

I would deny it too. If the antiskid was working there wouldn't BE any skid marks.

Last edited:
I would deny it too. If the antiskid was working there wouldn't BE any skid marks.

That is the thoughts around here too... Next summer , if I can live that long,, I will take some pics of the runway here..... They don't need to pave it because it gets a THICK coat of rubber from all the skidmarks...:yes:

That is the thoughts around here too... Next summer , if I can live that long,, I will take some pics of the runway here..... They don't need to pave it because it gets a THICK coat of rubber from all the skidmarks...:yes:

LOL Well that rubber does get slick, especially if it is wet.

Back