Withdraw Medical Application?

Z

ziggystardust

Got one of those we need more info to issue or deny your medical letters. It's regarding a test done over a year ago and where the medical was done 8 months ago. Apparently I can be prosecuted if I don't send in the paperwork.

But what if I just want to say screw it? Can you request to withdraw your application?

Prosecuted? Not likely. What they will do is just issue a DENIAL if you don't respond. No flying for you, no basic med, no sport pilot.

If you have a medical certificate in hand and you don't respond, they'll revoke it. That means BasicMed or light sport will not be an option until you satisfy them that you should have been issued the medical.

There's no going back. You need to respond or there will be consequences that can only be resolved by having a a "clean" medical issued.

I thought they only had 60 days from the issuance of your medical to question it?

Nope, they have up to 5 years, any time they have reason to doubt it. For now I say 5 years because that’s the longest medical that can be held right now.

T.I, at 60 days the burden of proof changes to be upon FAA not the airman. But that has NEVER stopped FAA from attempting to correct what they perceive to need corrected.

...and they are bigger than you are.

I thought they only had 60 days from the issuance of your medical to question it?
We don't know what the letter says. The OP used the word "deny," but he also used the word "prosecuted." The regulatory 60 days under 61.407 involves a reconsideration of a medical issued by an AME. That's different than a later request for additional information in connection with a potential revocation "409" suspension or revocation. As Bruce said, part of the difference is where the administrative burden of proof and going forward lies.

Example - you had a DUI and didn't report it. The AME gave you your 3rd class. Due to the backlog, it takes the FAA 90 days to get around to reviewing your case. When they do, they find your DUI. Do you think your safe because it's past 60 days?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back