Wish me luck...Possible solo this weekend!

Owad1971

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Owad1971
Good morning all,

Been training out of FRG on weekends since last September. I am sooo close (at least in my view)- any tips for me if I get the not to take her up all by myself? Looking forward to trying on some "Big Boy Pants"

Good morning all,

Been training out of FRG on weekends since last September. I am sooo close (at least in my view)- any tips for me if I get the not to take her up all by myself? Looking forward to trying on some "Big Boy Pants"
Good Luck!!! Who are you doing your training with?

Ventura (Air-East outfit). Nice FBO- Always fresh coffee, clean planes, immaculate restrooms....what more can you ask for:)

You will make some of the best landings you will make for a long time. Your concentration will be so intense that you will grease every landing...in the future your attention won't be so great and your landings will show it. Right now you are at the peak of your technique for some time, Good Luck !

Thanks Everyone! I will be sure to report back once it is in the book!:thumbsup:

You'll find the plane climbs better without that dead weight in the right seat. The engine also makes a lot of weird noises during climb out. :) Good luck!!

You'll find the plane climbs better without that dead weight in the right seat. The engine also makes a lot of weird noises during climb out. :) Good luck!!

Exactly the first two things I noticed!!! Wow

Good luck to you. We're all rooting for you.

I think I'm right behind you, OWAD. are you just doing pattern work over and over right now? t/o's, pattern, landings?

I think I'm right behind you, OWAD. are you just doing pattern work over and over right now? t/o's, pattern, landings?

So far been mixing it up. Did like 6 sessions of pattern work only, sometimes starting at 6am- (FRG gets super busy when weather is good). After that, just some t&Gs to start- head to practice area for stalls, slow flight, engine out emg procedures. Its going to be wierd looking to the right having a view of something and not another Dude! Now lets hope Andrea doesnt leave severe X-winds as her parting gift this weekend!

With FRG being busy, and your flying in the shadow of all the arrivals and departures at JFK, LGA, and ISP I think you'll do just fine.

You will make some of the best landings you will make for a long time. Your concentration will be so intense that you will grease every landing...in the future your attention won't be so great and your landings will show it. Right now you are at the peak of your technique for some time, Good Luck !

I have soloed around the pattern on four different occasions now, and you are so right. My best landings were on that perfect day May 7th!

Last edited:
I am coming up on mine any time when weather permits, and am very excited.

Best of luck, be sure to tell us how it goes!

Good morning all,

Good luck and have fun!
As far as tips, just what everyone else said. Be prepared for the "high-performance" profile you've been lacking up until now, and a great view out the right-side window. :)

Good luck...and I'll echo what other have said: Don't get discouraged post-solo if you hit a landing slump. It's not uncommon. But you'll get the "feel" back!

Good luck! I just did mine a week ago. For me it didn't feel any different than when my instructor was with me. I felt like I could hear him telling me what to do through the 3 takeoff and landings. Few days ago we got done a lesson and he asked if I wanted to go up on my own for a bit, but I chickened out. :( Something was telling me to call it quits for the day. Now I just need all this nasty rain to get out of here so I can fly again.

Good luck, just don't eat the fish.

I'll look for you in the skies this afternoon as I'm going to be flying out of Islip and probably practicing some landings.

You'll be fine! The first solo is amazing and an awe inspiring feeling. Enjoy the experience and let us know how it goes.

OK... so it was not to be!! Found out that I have to do a "Pre Solo" stage check with another instructor before I could get signed off to solo with my current instructor:mad2:

Additionally, my instructor felt I could use one more lesson before the "Stage Check"- ok dissapointed but I was cool with the additional lesson. I swear I hadn't heard about the "stage Check" thing before this weekend:dunno::dunno::dunno:

So guys...next week- "Stage Check" (weather please be good)... maybe after or the following week solo. At this rate.. I should be all done by 2019:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

The saga will continue... please stop by our concession stand for snacks during this brief intermission!

Good luck, and remember, like the final check ride, a stage check is primarily an evaluation of your instructor's performance. So if the stage check CFI finds problems here and there, don't be hard on yourself, just get your regular CFI to help you fix whatever's wrong.

It's a way for the school cfis to make a couple extra bucks there will be more surprises lol they'll be stage checks of the stage checks, stage checks .. Haha

It's a way for the school cfis to make a couple extra bucks there will be more surprises lol they'll be stage checks of the stage checks, stage checks .. Haha

My first thought EXACTLY. Saturday evening I was Heated:mad: I am off the ledge now and will focus on the procedures and knowing them cold. Thanks again All for the encouragement!

Good luck, and remember, like the final check ride, a stage check is primarily an evaluation of your instructor's performance. So if the stage check CFI finds problems here and there, don't be hard on yourself, just get your regular CFI to help you fix whatever's wrong.

then the dang instructor should pay for it.

but yeah, lots of little hidden 'gotchas' that we end up paying for. I will say, in my CFi's defense, he told me about having to fly with another instructor prior to solo. I'm fine with that, but it also takes some of the potential surprise out of it. I can deal with that lol.

My first thought EXACTLY. Saturday evening I was Heated:mad: I am off the ledge now and will focus on the procedures and knowing them cold. Thanks again All for the encouragement!

I think you're looking at it with the wrong attitude. I believe stage checks are an important component in the safety equation. They just wanna make sure you're safe and competent to fly solo.

It is possible that your instructor taught you something that you didn't fully absorb. The stage check might uncover that and make you a safer pilot.

I've learned something from each and every CFI that I've ever flown with.

Like you, I hadn't heard anything about a stage check until just before solo. No advanced warning at all. But to me, it wasn't a big deal and I never really felt like they were just trying to get a few more bucks out of me:lol:

Last edited:
then the dang instructor should pay for it.

but yeah, lots of little hidden 'gotchas' that we end up paying for. I will say, in my CFi's defense, he told me about having to fly with another instructor prior to solo. I'm fine with that, but it also takes some of the potential surprise out of it. I can deal with that lol.

Its a pretty standard thing for a lot of schools.

On a lighter side- On the way out to the practice area, I looked out my window and saw a falcon (no, not an F-16) riding a thermal about 40 ft above my aircraft. I could swear I saw him shaking his head and mumbling "Loser!"

Looking forward to proving him wrong -NEXT weekend...lol!:rolleyes:

On a lighter side- On the way out to the practice area, I looked out my window and saw a falcon (no, not an F-16) riding a thermal about 40 ft above my aircraft. I could swear I saw him shaking his head and mumbling "Loser!"

Looking forward to proving him wrong -NEXT weekend...lol!:rolleyes:

Falcon or turkey vulture?

OK... so it was not to be!! Found out that I have to do a "Pre Solo" stage check with another instructor before I could get signed off to solo with my current instructor:mad2:

Additionally, my instructor felt I could use one more lesson before the "Stage Check"- ok dissapointed but I was cool with the additional lesson. I swear I hadn't heard about the "stage Check" thing before this weekend:dunno::dunno::dunno:

So guys...next week- "Stage Check" (weather please be good)... maybe after or the following week solo. At this rate.. I should be all done by 2019:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

The saga will continue... please stop by our concession stand for snacks during this brief intermission!

I feel your pain. I'm at exactly the same point as you. Also flying out of KFRG with a different FBO. The weather is not my friend right now and doesn't look like it will be tomorrow either.

Doing an accelerated course seems like it would be hard although I really wanted to do that in the beginning but no real options in nj for that.

Back